About a year ago when I started to practice guitar seriously I never thought I'd get a 7 stringer. (Thanks a lot Ola ) Saw this used gem on sale for quite nice price, so I though why the hell not. Might aswell as take my first steps on guitars with too many strings. Here it is, a Cort EVL-K47B

Its gorgeous in its simplicity. And yes, I actually bought a Strat shaped guitar, a shape I mocked and called boring some time back. Well, I still think that way but its matte black and matte black makes every guitar look awesome. Yes I am easy to please.

And here are the Pentagra errr... Pentagon inlays. Oh **** off Cort, they are Pentagrams and you know it! Luckily they are quite subtle and do not stand out so its not like this guitar screams like its eeeevil or something. Even though thats the name of this guitar serie but thats not the point.

I'm still in my honeymoon period but it does play quite nicely though I have no prior experience with 7 stringers and I still find it confusing. But its not as neck heavy as my other Cort is and it actually stays in good angle with a cheap ass nylon strap. Neck is on thicker side (Schecterish I think, but I wouldnt be surprised if this whole guitar is from same production line as some Schecter model) but thats the way its on my other Cort too. The satin finish on the neck is great, my thumb glides on it without a single problem. The scale is 27 baritone so that took a little time to get used to, especially because I consider 24.75 Les Paul scale as my favourite.

There are couple of bad things. The volume and tone knobs are kinda crappy plastic caps with rubber rings. Same as in my other Cort. Doesnt really bother me but they do not scream quality either.
Also the pickups are godawful EMG HZ-7. I had nothing against the 6 string equivalents other than the way too low output they had, but here on 7 string they are just bad. B standard is fine but tune to Drop A and it sounds ugly rumble. They have to go at some point.

Now, the really bad news. I had a little accident with this guitar. The guitar was flawless when I bought it and it was without gigbag or case. (I really should have brought mine but it slipped of my mind) So the guitar was resting bare on my cars backseat. On my way home I saw two cats running over the street in the distance, fighting most likely. As I got closer to a spot one of them came running back.

I ALMOST drove over that stupid cat but I didnt. I had to brake quite heavily and you can already guess where this leads. The guitar slipped from the backseat and I heard a wooden knock. Here is the result.

The body hitted one of the rails where the frontseats are attached. Guess how much I freaked out and screamed in anger when I got home and noticed the damage, thinking maybe I should have driven over that cat (Honestly though I'm glad I didnt, I would have never forgiven myself.) for few seconds and cursing it the the lowest hell.

But anyway the damage is done. This was supposed to be a happy and exciting NGD for me but this disaster left a sour, bitter side taste in my mouth. I'm glad I got a new guitar but also really sad that I ruined it. Luckily its in the backside mostly invisible but I do see it when I plug the cable. *sigh*

Any ideas how I could fix such damage to satin finish? Maybe peeling of the broken pieces, some black marker and lacquer on top? It wouldnt be pretty but atleast it wouldnt look broken.

Oh well, as a final picture here it is with my flock. I either I need a new stand or one of the old guitars have to go.

*edit* BTW does anyone know any easy metal songs I could practice to familiarize myself with 7 strings, how to find my way around the fretboard and so on?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 25, 2013,
Nice, HNGD!
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
HNGD! Sucks about the damage you did man, shoulda strapped the guitar in to the seatbelts! You did the right thing in not killing that cat though, that could haunt you for life.

That chip/dent is a little too large to fix with nail polish, which is a common use for small chips. I think the best you can do is live with it as it might need a complete refinish to sort that. Don't quote me on that though, someone else might now of a good fix for it.

For your edit, I don't play a 7 string, but I'd guess you could learn some Dream Theater stuff if you're into that, not sure of your skill level either. I'd honestly just try to transcribe a bunch of songs in Drop B like Machine Head and Slipknot, that might be worth a go.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
HNGD! Sucks about the damage you did man, shoulda strapped the guitar in to the seatbelts! You did the right thing in not killing that cat though, that could haunt you for life.

That chip/dent is a little too large to fix with nail polish, which is a common use for small chips. I think the best you can do is live with it as it might need a complete refinish to sort that. Don't quote me on that though, someone else might now of a good fix for it.

For your edit, I don't play a 7 string, but I'd guess you could learn some Dream Theater stuff if you're into that, not sure of your skill level either. I'd honestly just try to transcribe a bunch of songs in Drop B like Machine Head and Slipknot, that might be worth a go.

Aye. I'm an animal person and love both cats and dogs, more than most humans. Driving over him/her would have been devastating...

And you are right about the seatbelt. Gods, I should have noticed that but no. Too much hurry to get back home with a new toy.

Oh Dream Theatre is way above my head. As I said I have been practicing seriously roughly a year and Metallica is still giving me headaches. Now, I am just practising Feared and Fear Factory.

About the fix, good call about the nail polish. Yes the chip is big but the fix doesnt need to be pretty. I'm just nervous about the exposed wood and I would rather have it protected. I guess I have to give my sister a call. Hopefully she doesnt misunderstand and get any wierd ideas when I ask if she has black nailpolish...

Quote by Offworld92
Nice, HNGD!

Thanks. And I really do need a beer, so cheers!

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 25, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus
And you are right about the seatbelt. Gods, I should have noticed that but no. Too much hurry to get back home with a new toy.

Safety first!

Quote by MaaZeus
Oh Dream Theatre is way above my head. As I said I have been practicing seriously roughly a year and Metallica is still giving me headaches. Now, I am just practising Feared and Fear Factory.

I figured as much when you said a year of serious playing, I wasn't up to scratch for anything Dream Theatre by that point.

Quote by MaaZeus
About the fix, good call about the nail polish. Yes the chip is big but the fix doesnt need to be pretty. I'm just nervous about the exposed wood and I would rather have it protected. I guess I have to give my sister a call. Hopefully she doesnt misunderstand and get any wierd ideas when I ask if she has black nailpolish...

Ya, what I mean is to do this:
Problem with that is obviously you've got a dent as well as paint chips, but you could certainly make it look better than as it stands at the moment.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Last edited by Lavatain at Aug 25, 2013,
Looks pretty solid. How much did you get it for? Also, yeah, I'm not big on the pentagrams but, if you got it for a good deal then, ehh, whatever.

It's pretty funny to drive around with a guitar buckled in. A lot of people who notice it do a double-glance. Cracks me up every time.
Quote by Dimarzio45
Looks pretty solid. How much did you get it for? Also, yeah, I'm not big on the pentagrams but, if you got it for a good deal then, ehh, whatever.

It's pretty funny to drive around with a guitar buckled in. A lot of people who notice it do a double-glance. Cracks me up every time.

280€. Not a bad deal for a guitar that... was... as good as new. Costs about 400€ new around here.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
280€. Not a bad deal for a guitar that... was... as good as new. Costs about 400€ new around here.

Nice!