So, I currently use my trusty Ibanez s420, and it does its job well. My friend, who has owned an acoustic for years, just bought his first electric, which is a Yamaha Pacifica 112 (or something along those lines). I realized that I liked its neck a lot more than the one in my ibby. I think it's a similiar neck to those in fender strats. I also would really like to have three pups and a single coil neck pickup would be great.

So, I'd like to switch my ibby s420 to a HSS strat. To do this, I'd have to sell my Ibanez. It costs 450e new. Mine does have traces of use, it has scratches in the heel, cat bite marks on the lower horn and some kind of cosmetic faul next to the pickups. So, certainly worn. I have new Liquifire-Crunch lab pickup set that hasn't even been opened yet, I didn't get a chance to get them swapped since I moved towns. If I'd sell the ibby and the pickups, how much money you'd figure I'd get? My budget would be that +200e at max.

I'm thinking about a Pacifica or a MiM strat. Do you think this would be a profitable trade and a good idea? If i'd get the pacifica, I'd probably have some money for new pickups too, maybe a lace blue/silver/hemi set. Does anyone have better ideas?

Thanks in advance
up to you, really

you could always keep the pickups and put them into your new strat
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
up to you, really

you could always keep the pickups and put them into your new strat

But I'm thinking single coils, so I'd have to separate the set. And I know it's up to me, I'm just wondering if you all think it would be a good idea to downgrade my equipment to something that suits me better, even if its "worse" quality.

And I'd like opinions on the price, so I'm not selling my gear at too low price
i dunno what the used market is like in finland, i guess you could check ebay completed listings?

it's really up to you. that's a difficult one. There's not much point in having a guitar that doesn't suit you, but at the same time it's kinda hard to accept downgrading if that's the only way to get a more suitable instrument. It's your call, really.

you could always sell the neck pickup separately, i suppose.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i dunno what the used market is like in finland, i guess you could check ebay completed listings?

it's really up to you. that's a difficult one. There's not much point in having a guitar that doesn't suit you, but at the same time it's kinda hard to accept downgrading if that's the only way to get a more suitable instrument. It's your call, really.

you could always sell the neck pickup separately, i suppose.

True. I've managed to sell a roland micro cube for 70e, a strat copy that cost 100e for 50e and a Epi Les Paul Special II in shit condition for 75e. And I asked my friend how much he would pay for my instrument, and he said about 200e. And he's really cheap, he tries to get everything for less money than what they're worth. So I'd figure about 250e for the guitar and 100e for both pickups, so maybe 350e for both, and with that 200e I'd probably afford a strat worth 550e, or a pacifica worth 250e and a pickup set worth 200e.

Okay that was confusing, even for me. I hope I made sense :P
Ive gotta ask.
Do you plan on playing metal on the strat or just strat related types?
(not saying you cant play metal on a strat im just wondering because of going to HH to SSS)
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
Ive gotta ask.
Do you plan on playing metal on the strat or just strat related types?
(not saying you cant play metal on a strat im just wondering because of going to HH to SSS)

Not SSS, HSS. And I plan on playing pretty much everything. My main influences are bands like Devin Townsend, Gojira, Nevermore and Mastodon, but I'm also a huge fan of Steven Wilson and jazz fusion, and I play in a folk(pop(rock band which utilizes mostly cleans. I figure that as I love the neck shape, HSS pups are the best since I get the humbucker rock tones and the single coin clean tones.
honestly, you'll lose far more money selling your current pickups as a set and then buying more pickups. if you're considering upgrading the pickups in the new guitar, hang onto the pickups you already have (even just the bridge).

I also wouldn't get a worse guitar to keep money back for a pickup upgrade. get the best guitar you can now and upgrade the pickups later, if necessary.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
honestly, you'll lose far more money selling your current pickups as a set and then buying more pickups. if you're considering upgrading the pickups in the new guitar, hang onto the pickups you already have (even just the bridge).

I also wouldn't get a worse guitar to keep money back for a pickup upgrade. get the best guitar you can now and upgrade the pickups later, if necessary.

Thanks I'll consider this. It all depends on how good deals I can get. And I can probably save for new pickups in a decent amount of time anyway
no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd like to help, but I also don't know the Finnish guitar market that well- all the Finnish brands I know are high end, like Flaxwood and Ruokangas.

Yamaha "Strats" should be pretty decent, though. And I may have other suggestions, based on your budget.

So...what do you foresee as your total budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I'd like to help, but I also don't know the Finnish guitar market that well- all the Finnish brands I know are high end, like Flaxwood and Ruokangas.

Yamaha "Strats" should be pretty decent, though. And I may have other suggestions, based on your budget.

So...what do you foresee as your total budget?

My absolute total budget would be 200 euros+the money I get for both the guitar and the pickups, which I estimate between 450 and 550 euros
You might consider Fernandes guitars. They're a Japanese company (affiliated with Burny) that makes some pretty nice axes. They have a few designs that you might like, like the Retrorocket and Dragonfly, both available in multiple trim lines. There is also the Revolver Classic, but that one would only be affordable if you can find it used.

If they are not available in Finland, they DO sell limited quantities of their guitars directly from their "American" website. (There may be other options on the Japanese Burny/Fernandes website.)

Here are a couple that are towards the top end of your budget.

Retrorocket Pro
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/retrorocket/78-retrorocket-pro.html

Dragonfly Standard
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/standard/76-dragonfly-standard.html.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 26, 2013,
I know that Frets Guitar Centre in the UK ships internationally: I ordered a Fret-King Super 60HB from them earlier this year- I live in Texas- and they even did the drudge work of figuring out the price differentials for shipping AND that I didn't have to pay the UK taxes.

That Super 60HB would seem to fit your desire to own a well-made HSS guitar. I'd say they're somewhere between MiM and MiA Fenders. When I brought it into my favorite local shop to buy a hardshell case (it came with a gig-bag), some of the guys in the store compared it to G&L guitars they had seen. (More likely the Tributes, not the USAs, but I didn't ask.)

And Frets still sells them. In addition, they also sell the Super 60SP, which has a P90 in the bridge instead of a Humbucker.

http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p1733_Fret-King_Super_60SP.html

http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p1628_Fret-King_Super_60_HB_-_OVB.html

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 26, 2013,