i have an am std strat and a peavey delta blues 115. i love the clean i get out of it, and i'm warming up to the overdrive channel, but i don't love it yet. what's a good pedal to put through my clean channel to get that really saturated over driven sound? i love slash's tone, but i know that may not be possible w/ my setup. also a big fan of vai's, but again, no humbuckers . something like jimi but less fuzzy? i saw demos of the tube screamer online and didn't love it, so i'm at a loss. thanks guys.
Suhr Riot
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Then there's the Joyo US Dream.
Up for the joyo idea, but I'd go for the british sound or the hot plexi if you want to get somethng Jimi-ish and Slash-ish.

They are respectively a marshall preamp simulator and a plexi style distortion, and they both are as cheap as ****.

Since wtfaccessories had closed, I think marc mart has the best prices.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Aug 25, 2013,
a lot of forum folk have a hard on for the new mxr custom super badass distortion. it's pretty cheap too.

edit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunlop-MXR-M75-Super-Badass-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-NEW-/261252478046?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3cd3dc745e
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Aug 25, 2013,
thanks! i do love the suhr riot but would prefer not to pay more than $100---$120 max.
The Barber Dirty Bomb is a little cheaper than a Suhr Riot and would probably make you happy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Either the super badass or regular badass ($80) has the right gain setup for what you have in mind. I'd also suggest a used Jekyll and hyde from visual sound.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Spambot_2
Up for the joyo idea, but I'd go for the british sound or the hot plexi if you want to get somethng Jimi-ish and Slash-ish.

They are respectively a marshall preamp simulator and a plexi style distortion, and they both are as cheap as ****.

I'm not sure the hot plexi is saturated enough- it's a nice pedal (and does sound very marshally), but it's more of a high gain overdrive than a distortion pedal. Even when I boost it with an od pedal in front of it, it's not really what i'd call saturated, really.

the crunch distortion from joyo might be worth a look, it's a higher gain marshally pedal. I haven't tried the riot or us dream but i'm sure they're worth a look, too.

Quote by innertom
Joyo ultimate drive?

i don't think it's high gain enough and is too dark, too, for what he wants (IMO).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm going to look into all of these. so far i'm leaning towards the dirty bomb, but i'm an idiot and fall for advertising and love guthrie, so i might end up w/ a riot. I just want something to push my delta blues 115 into things that can emulate slash's rhythm and lead tone. i know that's rough without a les paul/marshall plexi half but i want my rig to be as versatile as possible. i've already got the jimi/john mayer sparkly clean down pretty well
Quote by RyanMW2010
thanks! i do love the suhr riot but would prefer not to pay more than $100---$120 max.

It's almost a rule of thumb that >$100 distortion pedals are pretty terrible. You don't want to cheap out on a full blown distortion pedal - it's very easy to make them sound like shit. Lots of dirt pedals are meh, very few don't sound thin/anemic when compared to real amp dirt.

EDIT: <$100, not >$100.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 27, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
It's almost a rule of thumb that <$100 distortion pedals are pretty terrible. You don't want to cheap out on a full blown distortion pedal - it's very easy to make them sound like shit. Lots of dirt pedals are meh, very few don't sound thin/anemic when compared to real amp dirt.

FTFY
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Oh shit.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
It's almost a rule of thumb that >$100 distortion pedals are pretty terrible. You don't want to cheap out on a full blown distortion pedal - it's very easy to make them sound like shit. Lots of dirt pedals are meh, very few don't sound thin/anemic when compared to real amp dirt.

so you're recommending the mxr m77?
Quote by RyanMW2010
so you're recommending the mxr m77?

No. I use my M77 as a boost, and it's not a distortion pedal, it's a (loose) derivative of a Tubescreamer. It's not an amp-in-a-box, which is what you need.

I would recommend an MI Audio Crunch Box, or even better a Wampler Pinnacle.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 27, 2013,
MI Audio Crunch Box. Do it.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
There's a Joyo clone of the Crunch Box too
I'm still suspicious of the Joyo stuff in terms of build quality. Then again, I suppose that's hypocritical since I recently added a Dano Cool Cat Drive to my board (wasn't expecting to, but it surprised me). The newest version of the Crunch Box has a lot more tweaking options, as the Joyo clone is based off of the old three knob model. You could presumably (according to MI Audio) tweak the newest version to sound less like a hotrod JCM and more vintage (ish).
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
I'm still suspicious of the Joyo stuff in terms of build quality. Then again, I suppose that's hypocritical since I recently added a Dano Cool Cat Drive to my board (wasn't expecting to, but it surprised me). The newest version of the Crunch Box has a lot more tweaking options, as the Joyo clone is based off of the old three knob model. You could presumably (according to MI Audio) tweak the newest version to sound less like a hotrod JCM and more vintage (ish).

For what its worth, my US Dream feels and looks really solid, even inside but I've heard talk that they tend to have odd choices with pots with some pedals, like logarithmic tone pots when they should be linear etc... Not that they dont work, they just ramp up wierdly.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Offworld92

EDIT: <$100, not >$100.

Is that true, though? I'd say it's more accurate to say that crap distortion pedals are pretty terrible. The cheapo clones I have of good circuits sound really good, if you ask me. Build quality is the concern, of course it is, but in terms of the actual sound, I have no complaints.

Conversely, if you ask me, even expensive distortion pedals don't really sound or, maybe more importantly, feel or react like the "real thing" (the "real thing" being tube amps either distorting when up loud in the case of more vintage-type amps, or high gain preamp-tube-derived distortion in the case of more modern, high gain tube amps).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hey guys, i decided upon and ordered the suhr riot from amazon for $200. i'm going to be broke forever. thanks
Quote by Dave_Mc
Is that true, though? I'd say it's more accurate to say that crap distortion pedals are pretty terrible. The cheapo clones I have of good circuits sound really good, if you ask me. Build quality is the concern, of course it is, but in terms of the actual sound, I have no complaints.

Conversely, if you ask me, even expensive distortion pedals don't really sound or, maybe more importantly, feel or react like the "real thing" (the "real thing" being tube amps either distorting when up loud in the case of more vintage-type amps, or high gain preamp-tube-derived distortion in the case of more modern, high gain tube amps).

Yeah, clones would be the exception. Honestly I just am not really aware of clones of boutique-ish pedals. The Joyo Crunch Box clones was news to me (not to imply that that's a boutique-ish pedal, but it is one of the nicer ones for the price).

I agree about your second point, to an extent... I mean, at the end of the day, no, a pedal will never be able to replicate an amp... all the design and physics that go into that just make it an impossibility. But you're going to get way closer with a $200 pedal than with a $50 pedal, is what I'm trying to say.

I mean, if pedals could replicate amps, I think we would all use them.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Yeah, clones would be the exception. Honestly I just am not really aware of clones of boutique-ish pedals. The Joyo Crunch Box clones was news to me (not to imply that that's a boutique-ish pedal, but it is one of the nicer ones for the price).

I agree about your second point, to an extent... I mean, at the end of the day, no, a pedal will never be able to replicate an amp... all the design and physics that go into that just make it an impossibility. But you're going to get way closer with a $200 pedal than with a $50 pedal, is what I'm trying to say.

I mean, if pedals could replicate amps, I think we would all use them.

If they made more tube driven dirt pedals, maybe we could.
Quote by tas38
If they made more tube driven dirt pedals, maybe we could.

At that point, you're probably getting away from a pedal, and just having a preamp in a pedal box.

That line can be a little blurred at times anyway.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ yeah

Quote by Offworld92
(a) Yeah, clones would be the exception. Honestly I just am not really aware of clones of boutique-ish pedals. The Joyo Crunch Box clones was news to me (not to imply that that's a boutique-ish pedal, but it is one of the nicer ones for the price).

(b) I agree about your second point, to an extent... I mean, at the end of the day, no, a pedal will never be able to replicate an amp... all the design and physics that go into that just make it an impossibility. But you're going to get way closer with a $200 pedal than with a $50 pedal, is what I'm trying to say.

(c) I mean, if pedals could replicate amps, I think we would all use them.

(a) most of those joyos and similar are clones of pretty well sought-after circuits.

not to mention, most of those boutique pedals (not all) are clones (or more often, tweaked clones) of bog-standard circuits

(b) I'm not sure that's necessarily true, at least in a lot of cases, for the reason I stated in (a)

(c) agreed
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
In my mind, I'm thinking of companies like Wampler... not like guy in his basement boutique, which are often clones, but boutique-ish pedals that are their own thing.

Joyos clone really popular pedals, but not really any that are particularly expensive though, they don't clone like $200+ pedals AFAIK. In my mind, that's about where the line lies separating boutique from not.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
ah ok, yeah, I mean there aren't really any clones of okko stuff or something like that, yeah you're right about that.

And again right about wampler.

the riot possibly blurs the line a little, but yeah. as you said, it depends on exactly what you mean by your definitions.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?