I listened to music all the time so I figured I would enjoy playing it. Played it on and off for 6 years until I realized if I really did enjoy it, it wouldn't seem like so much work. We played a year ago, I told him I sucked at bass, and eventually he texted me saying his band was looking for another bassist. Mainly because of a manic episode, not necessarily my skill. I was kinda happy. He not one of my true friends for I don't know him well by the way.

Then he came over for a little jam session not too long ago and now wants to start a band again. But he left his nice bass amp at my house for me to practice. I want to call it quits but its awkward because his bass is at my house. And he'd have to drive 30 minutes here to pick it up and leave. Not only that but he looked on craigslist for a drummer and found one... now he want's to practice at my house which I don't want to be apart of.

I'm just sick of this dumb stress, chasing this "dream", and just playing music under a schedule in general. It distracts me from life, god knows I need to catch up. Schizoaffective disorder has left me very far behind at 23 years old (but I seem to be handling it a lot better). I just want to pick up an instrument from time to time. What would be a good way to let him know I don't want to do it, with little awkwardness. I still would like to be his friend, but not just another jam buddy.

Playing music just stresses me out a ton in general, most likely due to past events. I like jamming with people, but I'm really not into creating the Stone Sour, Stained, Nickleback, Bullet for my Valentine, As I Lay Dying esque type songs he wants to create. It doesn't fit me at all, i'd feel like a West Baptist Church member on a gay pride float playing that live. Just really uncomfortable and out of my element (I'm gay, don't that that simile out of hand).

The only time I could see wanting to be in a band would be around my real good friends and playing something light, fun, can have hints of sadness, yet original sound and lyrics. Like Modest Mouse, The Strokes, Eagles of Death Metal, QOTSA, Arctic Monkeys ect... It can be metal and heavy just not the more I sound like a loud dying fox the more deep my band is. Creative sadness that has bright sides too, not, "My hearts bleeds eternally with the dying soul of my fate crushed under your stiletto shoes of remorse!" Sorry done ranting, this post got way out of control, props and thanks if you read this .
Poor guy

Just tell him you don't want to be a part of it. That's that.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
I don't see what the problem is, just say you aren't into it.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by nc2555
I'm just sick of this dumb stress, chasing this "dream", and just playing music under a schedule in general. It distracts me from life, god knows I need to catch up. Schizoaffective disorder has left me very far behind at 23 years old (but I seem to be handling it a lot better). I just want to pick up an instrument from time to time. What would be a good way to let him know I don't want to do it, with little awkwardness. I still would like to be his friend, but not just another jam buddy.

"I just want to pick up an instrument from time to time, I don't want to be part of any band. Also, I'm gay and somewhat interested in you so if we could maintain this relationship I'd appreciate it."
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Tell him you've had a change of heart and that it's nothing personnel you just don't want to be in a band.

Things that will make this go smoother are you saying sorry a few times and also you arranging to drop his stuff at his house so he doesn't have to come get it
Yea simple answer, i'll just say no. I over think far too much. And I gotta learn to say no more. P.S. Victory that was pretty funny, and sadly somewhat true.
Last edited by nc2555 at Aug 25, 2013,
Everyone has already answered your question. Grow some balls and say, "I want out".

/thread
Tell him you're into djent, that will do.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Tell him you want to pursue a rap career.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Tell him to do one, you melt.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
tell him brony rock is your life now.

edit: please tell me that doesnt exist.
✠ ☠ ✠
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Fendi Shoes is actually extremely advantageous.
Quote by nc2555
Yea simple answer, i'll just say no. I over think far too much. And I gotta learn to say no more. P.S. Victory that was pretty funny, and sadly somewhat true.

Yeah man, it's pretty obvious you have a thing for the guy. Before you said you were gay I pretty much had it figured out. This wouldn't be an issue if you weren't interested in him. Try to stay in contact with him though. Maybe he'll get the hint. Good luck.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by sirrjj

If it suddenly emerges, I'm blaming you.
Quote by Dimarzio45

maybe ille make it.

Better yet tell him your suffering an existensial crisis and couldnt put the band throught the pressure created by the uncertinty of your own existence.
✠ ☠ ✠
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Fendi Shoes is actually extremely advantageous.
Last edited by sirrjj at Aug 25, 2013,
you might feel obliged to join his band because you have his bass amp, but we both know you don't want to be a part of the band. just return it to him and apologize, and that's that.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Yea, guitarists are common and will often turn to bass to be in the band. He's done the hard part an found a drummer.
I dont know what I can say that has't been said, however, "Modest Mouse, The Strokes, Eagles of Death Metal, QOTSA, Arctic Monkeys" sounds like my sort of band
Misha Mansoor:
Uplifting quote disguising failure as something to be proud of.
Just explain you're not interested in that kind of music. Plus, the last thing the world needs is more "not really a bass player" bassists.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Next time he comes over to see how your playing's going, just purposely play like absolute shit.
Last edited by slow_n_chunky at Aug 25, 2013,
If you're not happy doing it, don't do it.
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Just tell the guy that no means no. If he doesn't understand, smack him so hard his eyes switch places.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Just be all hey man i think we should jam with other people. is not you its me I'm just not up to the level you deserve. Please don't be upset IV cherished the time we have spent together and i want you to know I've grown from this experience but what we have burnt to fast like a candle in the wind. One day you'll find someone who will jam with you right but at this moment in time is not me.you'll get over the pain in time and one day we can look back and laugh. Good bye.
Just say that you don't want too.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Quote by ginger ninja102
Just be all hey man i think we should jam with other people. is not you its me I'm just not up to the level you deserve. Please don't be upset IV cherished the time we have spent together and i want you to know I've grown from this experience but what we have burnt to fast like a candle in the wind. One day you'll find someone who will jam with you right but at this moment in time is not me.you'll get over the pain in time and one day we can look back and laugh. Good bye.

this is gold

you HAVE to say this
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by sirrjj

I googled it.

Quote by Dimarzio45

BLAME HIM!
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 26, 2013,