I bought a line 6 Spide IV 75 Watt amp on craigslist. This is my first amp and my first guitar.

I dont know how to play at all. It sounds good in clean and crunch mode.
When I try to play in Metal or Insane mode I get this fuzzy distortion sound after striking a chord.

I put my insane mode in this:

Drive: Turned all the way up
Bass: All the way Up
Mid: Off
Treble: All the way up
Chan Vol: 1/4 turned
Phaser: Off
Tape Echo: Off
Master Vol: 1/4 turned

Guitar Volume: 1/4 on
Guitar Tone: 1/4 on

This is a example of what the knobs look like on my amp that I found off the internet.

Could it be my guitar tuning? I never had my guitar tuned before for rock settings.
It is because you have your drive all the way up. That will NEVER sound good (imo).
Try turning the drive down.
And why is your guitar volume and tone on 1/4?
Also, turn up the mids and lower the treble and bass.
Last edited by jakub421 at Aug 25, 2013,
Quote by jakub421
It is because you have your drive all the way up. That will NEVER sound good (imo).
Try turning the drive down.
And why is your guitar volume and tone on 1/4?
Also, turn up the mids and lower the treble and bass.

This. All of this.

Try what has been suggested and see if that helps...
Generally you're going to want to keep the volume and tone on your guitar all the way up.
Start with the EQ controls (bass, middle, treble) in the middle and increase or decrease to your liking. Too little mids can result in a thin tone and too much treble can result in high end fizz/hiss.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Dont know why no one has slated you for buying a line 6, I guess someones got to be the bad guy and it might aswell be me. They are terrible terrible modelling amps. I personally believe an amp should have a characteristic sound but modelling amps are pretty advanced these days so i'll set that opinion aside, however... Line 6 have a bad rep on UG and throughout the whole guitar community, why? Well because they don't sound very good. If you want a nicer distortion sound you should of got a different amp, and I know my one sided review isn't going to convince you of that so just accept and enjoy the tone you have
Quote by xmax3x

Good god man, before you worry about anything else

fix this
Quote by gay4slipknot
Dont know why no one has slated you for buying a line 6, I guess someones got to be the bad guy and it might aswell be me. They are terrible terrible modelling amps. I personally believe an amp should have a characteristic sound but modelling amps are pretty advanced these days so i'll set that opinion aside, however... Line 6 have a bad rep on UG and throughout the whole guitar community, why? Well because they don't sound very good. If you want a nicer distortion sound you should of got a different amp, and I know my one sided review isn't going to convince you of that so just accept and enjoy the tone you have

The Vetta II is an exception to everything you just said.

Also, you get what you pay for. The Spider series is cheap however, sounds good for the money. I bought my first half stack (which was a Spider IV) and, of course, I had my qualms with it but, it had a lot of value for the money. It's obvious there are better amps out there. The Spider IV is a good starter amp for those who can't afford something more top-of-the-line.
Quote by gay4slipknot

Don't know why no one has slated you for your username...

OP, is the undesirable sound still exist when you choose a new preset that is in the "insane" voicing??
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Good god man, before you worry about anything else

fix this

This. Are you in a Darkthrone tribute band?

Even for metal, you usually don't turn the drive all the way up, especially on anything Line 6, and especially not on the "insane" channel. If you need more gain, you usually use a boost pedal before the amp. More gain isn't always better.

Definition comes from the mids. They are important. Bass adds thump, but it makes your tone muddier. Treble adds brightness, but it makes your tone fizzier. Mids are where most of the guitar's sound is. If there was some perfect combination of the three, it wouldn't be "all bass and treble and no mids", and you wouldn't have EQ knobs.

Finally, if you're brute-force scooping the mids because your favorite band said they do, then keep in mind that they usually do it after the guitars are recorded, in the mixing, to make room for the vocals and lead instruments. Not because that makes them sound better.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Aug 25, 2013,
Quote by xmax3x

please please fix this before you do anything else, and tell your ears i am deeply sorry
Basically, everything you have done - do the opposite.

And what you really need is a new amp. Fuzzy distortion is a description of a Spider even if it's dialed in as good as possible.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification