Anyone have experience with MI in LA?

Looking at the encore program.

I can play and would not say i'm green. My fretboard fingering and my picking techniques are pretty solid and my timing is very good.
I can read tab.
My goals are to really understand what i am doing and remove
the mystery out of my playing.

Example. I am more of a root note player can figure out some fills.
Scales, understanding chord structures, keys, how all of
this works together.

Not looking for a degree in music. Rather a well rounded player.BTW rock hard rock metal
Last edited by Tripsixx at Aug 25, 2013,
There are any number of anecdotal accounts of the MI programs; good, bad and in-between. The school is pricey; as are a lot of for-profit postsecondary schools. The general consensus seems to be that you get out of it what you put into it. Some people find the courses worthwhile; others do not. It certainly does present you with an opportunity to network among musicians and producers in Los Angeles, if you are good at that sort of thing.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Every music college is gonna be what you make of it. You put a lot of work in, and you might get some results. Most of your fat tuition bill goes towards your opportunity to network and find ways to make music a career. It's very much about who you know.

Going to MI will give you the knowledge to answer your theory / playing questions i'm sure. Will it get you in debt? Quite possibly. Will it help you find a job doing music? I don't know, network like a boss and see what happens. You get what you make of it. But if you're just looking for learning opportunity, i would think they'll teach you well if you apply what you learn.
Quote by Tripsixx
Anyone have experience with MI in LA?

Looking at the encore program.

I can play and would not say i'm green. My fretboard fingering and my picking techniques are pretty solid and my timing is very good.
I can read tab.
My goals are to really understand what i am doing and remove
the mystery out of my playing.

Example. I am more of a root note player can figure out some fills.
Scales, understanding chord structures, keys, how all of
this works together.

Not looking for a degree in music. Rather a well rounded player.BTW rock hard rock metal

Have you studied any of their books?

If your main goal is to remove mystery behind playing I would say that the MI books are a good and cheap place to start. Personally I love MI books very much and use them mostly.

If you wish to go more pro and earn money from music then having a tutor and a mentor is quite important.

/Dave
Thanks guys for your feedback , received none on talk bass.
Yes I'm a bit older with real world experience and networking is not an issue nor getting
Out what I put in.
In fact , I like John 5 approach to LA , went as a good player and would play for close to nothing to get his name out there . Fortunately we can enjoy him live cause studio work can get ya stuck as just that .
Live is where it's at.

The books from MI , I haven't got into .
not a fan of that type of learning but will look into it .

Of course if I could accomplish just being in a popular non cover local band with a great following and get paid anything further than that would be bonus ......

Realistic goals .