Hello there everyone, I'm new here in these parts, so please don't pick on the the new guy Currently I am looking into getting the third member in my guitar family

I currently have a Silvertone Citation (My first guitar and her name is "Yuri" ), and some unknown guitar I got from some Antique shop made by some company "Harmony" (His name is "Chuck" because he's old ).

Anyways down to the issue, I am looking into attaining either a Epiphone Les Paul Standard(Heritage Cherry Sunburst) or a Epiphone SG G-400(White).

I'm not very experienced with Guitar know-how, so I was hoping you guys could help me choose which one would be best to play J-Pop or any kind of pop actually. I love songs like "God Knows" and "Don't be Lazy" so that would describe what kind of guitar I'm looking for hopefully, just in case anyone were to ask the style of music I'm into.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I am open to other suggestions and that my Budget is around $600

(PS. The third ones name is going to be "Hursy"
Last edited by Oshaberi at Aug 26, 2013,
I have a Gibson SG Standard and love it. It feels good, sounds good (57 classics), and is fairly light. Something about the devil horns that gets me every time haha. Honestly an SG and a Les Paul sound so similar that I would say just go with the one that feels better. The SG will be easier on your body.
As far as playing it and being comfortable , esp live....

Les Paul wins by 1000 miles , but they are a little heavier (as in weight)

I can't stand how SG's hang slightly forward because of where the strap locks are
I suppose either guitar could play j-pop music, but so could a bunch of other guitars. You might want to look at the range of guitars available, see what appeals to you and also see what kinds of guitars and amps your favorite j-pop bands use. For the more famous ones, like The Seatbelts, you should be able to find this info.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jfi81Z0PP8
I would expect a lot of j-pop bands to use japanese companies like Ibanez, Kramer, Charvel, ESP. But also more famous american companies like Fender and Gibson.

I listened to that "god knows" song and it sounds like you want humbuckers with that level of distortion. Other than that, there's a world of guitars out there. The more important choice is going to be your amp and pedals.

You should give us your budget, too. And are you open to suggestions outside of epiphone sg 400 and Les Paul Traditional? I would probably take a plus top pro, prophecy, black beauty or some other slightly fancier model if I were to buy an epiphone les paul. If you're looking for comfort, don't get an SG-400. That neck dive is killer. LTD has an SG model called the Viper, and Agile has an SG called the Valkyrie. Both have modified the SG body to reduce neck dive. My Viper is extremely comfortable, but strangely, my SG400 is not.

You should go to a store and play both guitars to see how you like them, especially with regards to the necks.
Last edited by samuraigoomba at Aug 26, 2013,
Another Japanese maker- Fernandes- has their own take on the LP: the Monterey.

They're selling some of them directly on their website.
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/29-monterey
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by samuraigoomba

Nice cover!

I can't fault his technique, but watching him was difficult- he seemed to be very stiff; tense. Almost robotic at times.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

My Budget is around $600, sorry if I left that out =/

And yes I'm always open to suggestions =)

My end game goal has always been able to play that song, I figured when I started some time ago that if I could play "God Knows" on the guitar I could do anything with my life. ^.^ I've also always wanted to get a signature from Mukuchi Chan one day, so I can only get a guitar with a light color o-0

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 26, 2013,
You can get a hell of a lot of guitar for $600. Or is that a budget for both guitar and amp?

Anyway, check out Godin, G&L, Fernandes, Ibanez, Gretsch, Reverend, Malden and Carvin guitars. An easy way to do this is go to the Guitar Center website and type these company names, then check the used stock. Sometimes you have to type "guitar" after the company name for it to show used results. Not sure why.

If you have a preference for body type, neck profile, set neck vs bolt-on, etc etc, post that here as well. On, and do you want a tremolo, and if so, what kind. Neither of the guitars you mentioned have trems, so I'm just assuming you don't need one.

Used high-end LTD guitars, like the LTD 1000 Deluxe models, are also good values for the cash. You have your choice of a strat body, sg body or les paul body, and they run about $400-500 on the used market.

Thanks for that reverb site, now my GAS is into overdrive.
Last edited by samuraigoomba at Aug 26, 2013,
You, sir, are talking to a guitar junkie.

Quote by samuraigoomba
http://reverb.com/item/19216-reverend-roundhouse-rt-2008-silver-sparkle If I had the money to spare, this listing would be gone now.

I noticed a brand on there I've never seen before, Blue Frog guitars. Can't find any info about them, not sure if they're any good.

I've been watching that Roundhouse since the second week of August.

As for Blue Frog...all I know is they make Strat and Tele style guitars in the USA.
http://www.bluefrogguitars.com/

Thanks a lot for your replies! I don't want to make it a habit to buy used guitars online, but you guys sure gave me a lot of guitars I should be on the lookout for on my little guitar hunt
Last edited by Oshaberi at Aug 26, 2013,
The basic trick to buying a guitar online- especially a used one- is to make sure the seller is reputable and has a good return policy.

That said, I just won an auction for my first eBay guitar, and it was a no-return type deal. But in all honesty, even though I was bidding on something I liked & wanted, I was bidding more to learn bout the process than anything else. This will be my first eBay purchase of any kind.

You seem to have enough for an Epiphone Tribute! That'll get you a great Epi for the money. HS Case, better PUs and better than average Epi electronics! Well worth the extra over the Epiphone Standard or Standard Plus.
Moving on.....
She needs to do a duet with Angus Young.

It's probably a "he" Danny
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It's probably a "he" Danny

With that skirt, I hope not!

They would be about the same size. That may actually be him haha.

She is pretty good to the point that I had to watch fingers close to tell if it was even legit.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
With that skirt, I hope not!

If its the Asian dude that's been doing covers forever then his gimmick is dressing as a girl
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Of all the guitar-playing Japanese people I've seen, they've played more SGs than LPs. But it's not like I watch videos of Japanese people playing guitar all day <_<

Is the $600 for just the guitar or do you need an amp too? If it's $600 for just the guitar, you could get a Gibson SG Faded, or if you don't like the feel of a Gibson there's an LTD Viper 1000.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Last edited by jjfeu662 at Aug 26, 2013,
That exactly why I wanted a White SG, lol. I figured that if someone used that guitar to play that song, than I could probably use it to play that song too :p
The $600 is for just the guitar, both of the guitars you mentioned are way out of my budget =X
Quote by Oshaberi
The $600 is for just the guitar, both of the guitars you mentioned are way out of my budget =X

I was talking used, but I think Guitar Center is selling SG Specials (faded = special, right?) for $500 for the Labor Day sale if you're able to jump on it now. I need to find that postcard they sent me to make sure.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
The SGJ is a barebones SG that runs $600 new.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SGJW2CH-13

It comes in cherry, chocolate, rubbed white, and vintage burst. It is likely going to be the closest to what the girl/tranny is using in that video. It has a 490R/498T set in it. That is what a lot of the SG Standards had so you can look them up to get an idea of the sound. The 2013 SG Standard and the 61RI both use 57 Classics though so if you use YouTube be aware of that.

Also they sound better in person than on YouTube.
Last edited by HippieMagic at Aug 26, 2013,
Quote by HippieMagic
The SGJ is a barebones SG that runs $600 new.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SGJC2CH-13

It comes in cherry and chocolate so you wouldn't get white but it is likely going to be the closest to what the girl/tranny is using in that video. It has a 490R/498T set in it. That is what a lot of the SG Standards had so you can look them up to get an idea of the sound. The 2013 SG Standard and the 61RI both use 57 Classics though so if you use YouTube be aware of that.

Also they sound better in person than on YouTube.

That neck looks rough. What's the playability of it?
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
I edited my post. It does actually come in a white. I think they have an unfinished neck but I don't actually own one. It is just the first thing that came to mind. I have a standard with a finished neck and it is a bit "sticky". I kind of prefer unfinished or lightly finished necks.

Here is a video on the Juniors.

http://youtu.be/vKvQPFQKE3A
Last edited by HippieMagic at Aug 26, 2013,
I think the older Gibson Studios and Tributes look much nicer than the LPJ/SGJ. They cost about the same used as the LPJ/SGJ costs new. Black pickup covers look awful.

I wouldn't buy any Gibson studio or junior model without trying it first though. There are message boards full of angry people who bought blind based on the headstock and happened to get a bad Gibson. Sometimes it just happens.
There are a couple of issues to consider regarding LPs vs SGs.

SGs can be neck-heavy -- the headstock will want to head for the floor and you'll find yourself modifying your fretting technique to support the neck with your palm. The upper fret access is better (the neck joint really isn't an issue because the body is so thin) unless you have large hands, and then the recurved point will get the side of your hand as you come up the neck. Generally you won't find them with locking trems because the bodies won't support the routs (though I've recently seen a Kahler on one).

LPs are the opposite; they're heavy, period, but almost never in the neck. They have three zones that are uncomfortable. The right forearm area can be a bit painful, because the thick body puts a hard edge out where your forearm hits it. Most LPs have no tummy/rib cut, so you'll find the top back of the body digging in. And the neck heel is crummy -- the neck meets the body at the 16th fret, the body is much thicker than the neck and there's a point that gets you right in the palm of your hand when you try to work in the upper frets. Large hands and a fairly narrow cutaway don't work well together, so you'll see players with large hands rotating their hands to get into that area.

Both guitars have issues with the headstock. One, it breaks easily. Two, the nut must be cut perfectly and occasionally lubed in order to maintain tuning, especially with reference to the middle two strings.

All that said, these remain two of the most popular models Gibson makes, largely due to their connection with rock and roll tradition. Both Gibson and other manufacturers have improved on both guitars; Gibson now makes 23 and 24 fret SG models, thanks to some famous players who had extended fretboards on NON Gibson copies. And Neal Schon had Gibson copy his non-Gibson custom-made guitars' neck heel for the Schon Signature guitar and that evolved into the thinner-bodied Axcess, which has a shaved, sculpted neck heel and a tummy cut. Some other Gibson LP models have the thinner body and tummy cut, but lack the sculpted neck heel.

Other manufacturers have offset the waist of the SG (which can make to more comfortable to play sitting down) and some have extensively modified the LP (one company uses neck-through construction, has the same Axcess-like neck heel and tummy cut in a full-thickness body. That same company has a stubby cutaway horn that allows great upper fret access, and the same company makes 24-fret Floyd-equipped versions with somewhat flatter fretboards, jumbo frets and both thinner and wider necks.
White Viper 400:

http://www.studiogears.com/ESP_LTD_VIPER-400_OW_Electric_Guitar_in_Olympic_White.htm

The Viper 400 is a step down from the 1000, but it is $500 new(ish - I think it's discontinued) and has EMGs.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Last edited by jjfeu662 at Aug 27, 2013,
Bah, go used and get the Viper 1000 for the same price. I have the white one with duncan passives and it's great.

The Viper is an extremely comfortable SG design. Great set neck, nice thin u neck, ebony fretboard... It's very comfortable.
They're not actually SGs, but...

Malden Bulldozer: there are a couple in their direct-sales store, including a white B-stock (paint blemish)
http://maldenguitars.com/store.htm

Reverend Daredevil: a discontinued model, but a very good guitar (not white, though)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-REVEREND-DAREDEVIL-108849500-i3084133.gc
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-17637.htm

Yeah, I love my SG and all but it feels weird compared to other guitars. It feels like the neck is a lot longer than it is. I don't have any issue with neck dive at all with mine either but it is slightly heavier than others have told me their guitar is at 7.4 lbs. It is actually perfectly balanced even with a nylon strap.

I wouldn't call an SG uncomfortable but I think if you are used to other guitar styles it might feel a bit odd at first.