Hello there,
I am going to be purchasing a Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro guitar very soon. I have heard that the probucker pickups and the electronics aren't great so what would you advise changing on the guitar. This guitars has coil tapping and I want to retain that feature with any pickup change. Thankyou very much
I'd advise changing nothing until you've owned the guitar for a while.

"I have heard" is never a valid reason for modifying your guitar. Make your choice based on your own experiences with it and your needs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you want to change things start with the pots and see how it goes.
I had an Epi LP once, I changed everything in it but the neck and the body, and I still had an Epi LP. When it was done, it was only marginally better than what I started with, and I had wasted a bunch of money and time.
Ibanez SR1200E
Quote by MutantWombat
Hello there,
I am going to be purchasing a Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro guitar very soon. I have heard that the probucker pickups and the electronics aren't great so what would you advise changing on the guitar. This guitars has coil tapping and I want to retain that feature with any pickup change. Thankyou very much

Get an Epi Tribute Plus - mods are done

Gibson pickups and hardcase included

you might have heard wrong about the PRO-buckers....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Yr66G6P4Y

http://www.epiphone.com/News/Features/2013/Take-the-Epiphone-ProBucker-Challenge.aspx
Last edited by paruwi at Aug 26, 2013,
Apparently the Probuckers aren't bad at all - unlike other epiphone stock pickups. That being said, they're not GREAT... but they're not at all like the muddier-than-a-swamp Alnico Classics.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The new Probuckers are actually very decent. They really do sound a lot like Gibson Burstbuckers, as they're practically clones in terms of their design.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by pachap
I had an Epi LP once, I changed everything in it but the neck and the body, and I still had an Epi LP. When it was done, it was only marginally better than what I started with, and I had wasted a bunch of money and time.

I don't do guitar mods myself, but from what I've seen on the secondhand market, this is the case.

EVERY TIME you do a big guitar mod, you lose money. Better pickups? Don't care, the price is still the same on the used market. Better neck? Oh, now it's a partscaster, it's worth less.

I deliberately look for those guitars at secondhand shops and on CL, because I know I can get a guitar someone else has sunk a bunch of money into, and it costs me nothing extra.
Quote by samuraigoomba
I don't do guitar mods myself, but from what I've seen on the secondhand market, this is the case.

EVERY TIME you do a big guitar mod, you lose money. Better pickups? Don't care, the price is still the same on the used market. Better neck? Oh, now it's a partscaster, it's worth less.

I deliberately look for those guitars at secondhand shops and on CL, because I know I can get a guitar someone else has sunk a bunch of money into, and it costs me nothing extra.

Yeah I was that guy once...

I still have an internal debate going on why I was not satisfied with the guitar. In the end, I just thought a bunch of upgrades was going to make an Epi a Gibson. I was wrong.
Ibanez SR1200E
Thankyou for all the replies,
What effect does changing of pots and caps have on a guitars tone?
Quote by pachap
Yeah I was that guy once...

I still have an internal debate going on why I was not satisfied with the guitar. In the end, I just thought a bunch of upgrades was going to make an Epi a Gibson. I was wrong.

IMO this is a testament to how important the guitar itself is in your hands, and how unimportant details like electronics are. That stuff can be changed all day long, there are hundreds of aftermarket pups to choose from. But how the guitar feels in your hands is so so important. That is the one thing you can't change.

A lot of people seem to buy guitars purely off of specs on a piece of paper. It's insane to me.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
IMO this is a testament to how important the guitar itself is in your hands, and how unimportant details like electronics are. That stuff can be changed all day long, there are hundreds of aftermarket pups to choose from. But how the guitar feels in your hands is so so important. That is the one thing you can't change.

A lot of people seem to buy guitars purely off of specs on a piece of paper. It's insane to me.

I've certainly done that, and so far (knock on wood) I've been okay with it. In most cases, I haven't been able to touch the actual guitar I'll get, but I've been able to work with examples of the same kind of guitar. After I owned one Carvin for a while, I had no problems picking up the next half dozen sight unseen (well, except for the bass). I've been very lucky with the Agiles I have, and all three were oddballs (one a Custom, one a used guitar, one a B-stock with acknowledged issues). I get very squinty when there are photos available, and so far I've been very lucky with those, too. In one case I bought a Gibson L6S from the mid-70s, and based on the photos, I expected some dings and scrapes. It turned out that what LOOKED like dings and scrapes in the photos were simply fingerprints and miscellaneous garp and farfaloma. The guitar cleaned up to near-pristine condition. It could so easily have gone the other direction.

But I've never denied the "insane" part .
Quote by Offworld92

Well, sometimes you have to, in order to get a deal or buy an instrument that just isn't available locally. And like the other poster, so far I've been okay doing so.

But I agree in general with the sentiment. There have been a number of guitars I thought I might want to buy (like an Ibanez Prestige), but upon playing it I realized it wasn't at all comfortable for me. And there have been guitars I never expected to like, but they felt amazing in my hands.

Hell, I have a starcaster sitting around here somewhere. It was my first guitar and yeah, it's a bad guitar. But I picked it out based on feel, and y'know it still feels pretty nice in my hands.
Quote by Offworld92

Well, the result of my experience is that I now make a purchase based on how the neck and body feel to me. It has to feel right from the moment I pick it up for me to buy it. The pups, electronics, nut, tuners, etc., are a small factor to me on a purchase.

I see the guy that bought my aforementioned Epi every so often, and he always raves about how awesome the guitar is. If it feels good to him, I am glad he has it.
Ibanez SR1200E
^ Yeah, definitely.

There is an insane amount of arbitrary factors that go into guitar... that's why it's such a personal thing. Even if you take two models from an assembly line, one can feel right and the other wrong... just little tiny things that don't make any sense can make the difference.

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by MutantWombat
Thankyou for all the replies,
What effect does changing of pots and caps have on a guitars tone?
If you don't know, then why do you feel the need to make the mods?

The two things that are important are the value and the taper. The higher the resistance, the more treble and the higher the output of the guitar signal when the knob is turned all the way up. The taper really comes down to preference. Some people swear by linear taper pots, I like audio taper pots. Neither are "perfect" in the sense that you get a truly gradual change in response from on to off (and vice versa). There are a few custom options that are great as far as taper goes, but they're really expensive for what they are. I have the RS guitarworks super pots in my les paul and I really like gradual taper, but if I had to do it agian, I probably would've saved myself the money and just gone with audio taper pots. Same with tone caps. About 5 years ago, PIO caps were all the rage on the les paul forums because they are a cheap upgrade and made modern les pauls more like the originals. While the value of the caps certainly matter, I don't really think that the material of the caps do. I can't really tell a difference between a PIO cap and an orange drop. The cap is not even in the signal path. Do I have PIO caps in my les paul? Yes, I do, because I wanted to see what the hype was all about when the topic blew up on the LPF years ago, but nowadays would I recommend someone go out of their way to fill their guitars with PIO caps? Nah.

I'd also recommend holding off on a pickup swap, for now. Imo, pickups are one of those things that you really only swap out if you have something in mind already, or you have a certain issue with the current set that just bugs you and you make the change to see if you can improve on it. You cant really make those judgement calls until you have the guitar in your hands. Also, pickups can sound different in different guitars, even the same model. Buddy of mine owns 3 les pauls. Two standards and a R7. He hated the burstbuckers in the standards and had them replaced with Fralins, and when he bought the R7, he pulled the burstbuckers the day he received the guitar, went through a lot of money trying to tweak the sound, and in the end, stuck the Gibsons right back in, because they ended up sounding the best in THAT particular guitar. Go figure.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 27, 2013,
Quote by al112987
If you don't know, then why do you feel the need to make the mods?

The two things that are important are the value and the taper. The higher the resistance, the more treble and the higher the output of the guitar signal when the knob is turned all the way up. The taper really comes down to preference. Some people swear by linear taper pots, I like audio taper pots. Neither are "perfect" in the sense that you get a truly gradual change in response from on to off (and vice versa). There are a few custom options that are great as far as taper goes, but they're really expensive for what they are.

I'd also recommend holding off on a pickup swap, for now. Imo, pickups are one of those things that you really only swap out if you have something in mind already, or you have a certain issue with the current set that just bugs you and you make the change to see if you can improve on it. You cant really make those judgement calls until you have the guitar in your hands. Also, pickups can sound different in different guitars, even the same model.

FWIW, I wouldn't swap the pups unless you have a good amp. Otherwise, the improvement in sound will be limited by the amp... at least in my past experience.
Ibanez SR1200E