When trying to sing and play, I want to know hard or loud should I be strumming. I know it may seem like silly question but I want to know is the strumming supposed to softer while singing or do people just let both sounds as loud ad they play and sing.
Quote by Patsfan1281
When trying to sing and play, I want to know hard or loud should I be strumming. I know it may seem like silly question but I want to know is the strumming supposed to softer while singing or do people just let both sounds as loud ad they play and sing.

As loud as you need to in order to be heard, not so loud it overwhelms what else is going on (i.e. the vocals).
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The best thing you could do is record yourself. If you're playing through an amp, make sure you and the amp are at the same distance away from whatever you're using to record. And try not put the recorder too close as the audio might clip, depending on how loud you play/sing.
Quote by Patsfan1281
Ok, so when strumming dont strum too hard unless needed?

Depends entirely on your voice. For example I know that if I were to sing and play at the same time (which I wouldn't ) I'd have to play quite hard because I sing quite loud most of the time, but I do know people who would play quite quietly because they don't have a huge amount of volume to their voice.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Patsfan1281

There is no rule here. In general when a singer sings the song pulls back and when ther is no singing the music gets more prominent.

That being said you could play louder to emphasize parts of a song which need more of an edge

/Dave
Yea I was asking because I find that sometimes my strumming outmatched my vocals when try to sing
Quote by Patsfan1281
Yea I was asking because I find that sometimes my strumming outmatched my vocals when try to sing

And it didn't occur to you that just making the guitar quieter would fix this issue?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Yea but when I watch others play it seems that they pay no real mind to the strumming, whether it be too loud or not
Quote by Patsfan1281
Yea but when I watch others play it seems that they pay no real mind to the strumming, whether it be too loud or not

That's because you only see the end result, not all the practice they did to get to that point.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
hi Patsfan

try to think about the dynamics (louds and softs) and character of the song when deciding on volume.

You can practice strumming a chord quietly, and as you strum, slowly increase the volume, then decrease again (ie gently tightening the relaxing your grip on the pick).

do the same excercise with your singing, then do it with playing and singing at the same time.

hope it goes well
Play as loud or as quiet as you need to play so that you can hear both the guitar and the vocals. As long as neither is drowning the other out, you're good.
My vocal coach used to tell me to just record myself playing and singing to self-evaluate. Then you can see how your volume is. I just use my iPad to record a video now. It helps me figure out how load to sing and play the guitar.