Hi guys.
I play aggressive metal, if I had to pick a genre it would be more thrash metal with a hint of djent and neoclassical (still experimenting with pretucci, yngwie & misha mansoor styles).
This is my rig:

Laney Ironheart 120watt head with tung sol el34b reissued power tubes & jj ecc803 gold pin (v2,v3 & v4) and tung sol ecc83 reissue in v1.
Basic Harley Benton 2x12 cab modded with eminence wizard speakers.
Ibanez RG 2627ze prestige
Ibanez mtm100
Dean splittail with kk emg set.

I've already got a boss ns2 noise suppressor but I also want a boost, gain, eq and delay pedal too.
I'm thinking Digitech bad monkey for the boost, whamper triple wreck for the gain (if only it was cheaper) boss ge7 for the eq and Digitech digidelay for the delay.

Have you guys got any better suggestions for pedals and also any ideas for the best way to link it up so I can still use the three channels on the amp without it sounding horrible?
Honestly dont see why you would need a Triple wreck pedal with your ironheart..

EQ id get a MXR 10band. own one myself and its just the best to use. has volume/gain sliders too.
Boost pedal the bad monkey is a solid choice to use. Got a Visual Sound Route 808 myself.
Delay im a little less knowing on tbh. Got a DD3, its nice but theres better out there to use.

Hope this helps
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
Honestly dont see why you would need a Triple wreck pedal with your ironheart..

EQ id get a MXR 10band. own one myself and its just the best to use. has volume/gain sliders too.
Boost pedal the bad monkey is a solid choice to use. Got a Visual Sound Route 808 myself.
Delay im a little less knowing on tbh. Got a DD3, its nice but theres better out there to use.

Hope this helps

Cheers for that I does help. As bad as it sounds I want decent gear to match my expensive guitars but they kind of destroyed my budget lol
I see where you coming from about the whamper as I was originally going to go for a boss ds1 just to add a little bit of gain for solos but I just saw a vid of it on another thread and just loved it as i've always wanted a triple rectifier head just could never afford it.

For the gain and boost, can I loop then both through the ns2 then into the front of the amp and have the eq and delay separately in the fx loop, would that work? Or does an od pedal have to be at the back? (bit of a noob when I comes to pedals, only had the one and that only been for a week lol)
Yeah that might of been me that posted the vid. guy didnt give a budget so i just went with my fave pedal lol. Id get one myself but I cant find a UK seller at all for them.

I tend to run my EQ, delay and chorus in the loop and anything else infront of the amp.
Are you on about using the 4 way connector for the NS2? Because Ive no experience at all with the pedal. I use a ISP Decimator in front at the end of my chain.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
Yeah that might of been me that posted the vid. guy didnt give a budget so i just went with my fave pedal lol. Id get one myself but I cant find a UK seller at all for them.

I tend to run my EQ, delay and chorus in the loop and anything else infront of the amp.
Are you on about using the 4 way connector for the NS2? Because Ive no experience at all with the pedal. I use a ISP Decimator in front at the end of my chain.

Yeah, I've currently stolen my brothers boss ds1 (until he notices) to run the back through the ns2, basically guitar into ns2 input, ns2 send to ds1 input, ds1 output to ns2 return the ns2 output to amp.
And to be fair it does work very well, with the gate off (on rhythm channel full gain) sounds fuzzy ds1 on massive noise, ns2 on just silence even with the gain ped active so I like it.

http://www.hotroxuk.com/wampler-triple-wreck-distortion.html
Here's where I was looking for it
A suggestion about the delay pedal would be a TC Electronic flashback. I have the single pedal one and I've had it for close to two years and still works perfectly. I tried against the boss, digitech and a few others and it was definitely the best. It does any genre that you want, I've done blues, metal, country, rockabilly, funk, anything with it.
yeah if you want your amp to sound more like a recto i'm guessing a triple wreck might be worth considering (i haven't tried it), but as Carrot says if you just want a high gain tone I'd just use your amp alongside a boost (yeah bad monkey is nice on the cheap; the screamin blues is too if you want more transparency; or both works well, too )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JMW1312
A suggestion about the delay pedal would be a TC Electronic flashback. I have the single pedal one and I've had it for close to two years and still works perfectly. I tried against the boss, digitech and a few others and it was definitely the best. It does any genre that you want, I've done blues, metal, country, rockabilly, funk, anything with it.

Ok i'l look into that
I would not get a Triple Wreck. In my eyes it would be a huge waste, your amp is already designed for the same thing that pedal is designed for. If you want a Rectifier, sell your Laney and get one. They're not terribly expensive used (Disclaimer: I'm not sure where in the world you're located or what your market is like).

EQ, the MXR 10 Band is the standard, the Danelectro Fish and Chips is also an excellent value pedal, I love mine. Japanese Boss GE-7s aren't bad, but after owning one and now owning the Fish & Chips, the Fish & Chips is just so worth it considering the price.

Nothing wrong with the Bad Monkey, it's a very good option. If you want to read a little more about using overdrives as boosts, there's a blog on my profile about it.

Delay is a little out of my expertise. I like the Boss DD-7 a lot, but I haven't researched or kept up with what all is out there. I can recommend a Line 6 M5 though. What they do for how much they cost is absolutely ridiculous. I don't know why everyone who uses standalone stomps doesn't have one on their board (not counting analog snobs, of course).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I would not get a Triple Wreck. In my eyes it would be a huge waste, your amp is already designed for the same thing that pedal is designed for. If you want a Rectifier, sell your Laney and get one. They're not terribly expensive used (Disclaimer: I'm not sure where in the world you're located or what your market is like).

EQ, the MXR 10 Band is the standard, the Danelectro Fish and Chips is also an excellent value pedal, I love mine. Japanese Boss GE-7s aren't bad, but after owning one and now owning the Fish & Chips, the Fish & Chips is just so worth it considering the price.

Nothing wrong with the Bad Monkey, it's a very good option. If you want to read a little more about using overdrives as boosts, there's a blog on my profile about it.

Delay is a little out of my expertise. I like the Boss DD-7 a lot, but I haven't researched or kept up with what all is out there. I can recommend a Line 6 M5 though. What they do for how much they cost is absolutely ridiculous. I don't know why everyone who uses standalone stomps doesn't have one on their board (not counting analog snobs, of course).

Well the cheapest I can find the rectifier (both online and stores) is £1200 for the single, £2100 for the dual and £2450 for the triple...my £615 Ironheart head was a more affordable price lol

I'm still uming and ahhing between a delay or echo Tbh
Oh wow, **** that. Here in the US you can get a Dual Rec for $800-1200 any day of the week, no problem.

Then again, you guys get Laney and Marshall stuff way cheaper. So **** you still.

Most digital delays can do everything, echo is just a type of delay (basically bridges the gap between delay and reverb, actually).

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Oh wow, **** that. Here in the US you can get a Dual Rec for $800-1200 any day of the week, no problem.

Then again, you guys get Laney and Marshall stuff way cheaper. So **** you still.

Most digital delays can do everything, echo is just a type of delay (basically bridges the gap between delay and reverb, actually).

yeah laney (used ironheart is like £450) and marshall (saw a DSL head for like £300) used are great deals. Mesa and peavey stuff like that are like £1000+

sucks cuz i love mesa and peavey amps

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quick eBay search shows Dual Rectifiers for as little as £800 (I'm in England) and up to about £1,100, but that's not paying attention to which model/year.

Honestly, you should use the Ironheart's gain, it's designed to be a metal amp and Killswitch have been using them with boosts I believe. Bad Monkey boost is a great idea. 7 or 10 band EQ in the effects loop to tighten tone up a little more is a good idea. Screw the DS-1 idea, but do what you're doing with it and the NS-2, but with you amp.

So go Guitar>NS-2>NS-2 send to amp input>FX send to NS-2 return>NS-2 out to amp FX return. I do this with my EVH and it basically Noise gates both the guitar and the pre-amp. I don't know where you'd put a boost/OD in relation to that, (either before the NS-2 or after the NS-2's send and before amp input) as I don't use a boost.

I found the Ironheart too hard to tweak with to get a great tone, finding too many "okay" and "sub-par" tones to warrant buying one myself. Despite that I bet you could get it pretty Dual Rectifier-like with enough tweaking.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
yeah i think the wreck pedal is overkill...you amp seems to have enough on tap? bad monkey is a solid choice on a budget, GE-7 is great, so re MXRs, really loving my new TC electronic, boss is a standard for delays, i would not get the digitech delay
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Ok well going by the advice you guys have given me I think I've decided.
Boost: boss od 3 and Digitech bad monkeys (one for a clean boost the other for dirty)
Eq: mxr 10 band
Delay: boss dd-3
What do you think would be the best way to link it, I've got 3 ideas:

Guitar > ns2 > ns2 send to od 3 > bad monkey > ns2 return > ns2 output to amp / amp send > dd-3 > mxr > amp return.
This way I can gate both guitar and boosts while keeping the time shift(delay & eq) v in the loop.

Or

Guitar > ns2 > ns2 send to dd-3 > mxr > amp return > amp send to ns2 return > ns2 out to od-3 > bad monkey > amp input.
So this way both time shifts and gate are in the loop while still gating the guitar.

Or (my fav)

Guitar > od-3 > bad monkey > ns2 > ns2 send to dd-3 > mxr > amp return > amp send to ns2 return > ns2 out to amp input.
So the ns2 is gating everything and keeps the time shifts in the loop.

What do you think or any better ideas?
yeah mesa prices here in the UK are ridiculous

as people have been saying, an EQ pedal might be a better (and cheaper) idea than a triple wreck (boutique pedal prices here are ridiculous too)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Have you tried the OD-3? I'm not sure about that one... I am not sure, but I don't think it's a Tubescreamer derivative like the SD-1 is. It may not be very good for boosting (unless you're planning to use that one for the standalone dirt... though I haven't heard great things about it in that dept. either).

Your signal chain formatting hurts my eyes, so I'll just tell you how I'd run it.

Guitar -> Bad Monkey -> OD-3 -> NS-2 Input
NS-2 Send -> Amp Input
Amp Send -> MXR 10 Band -> Boss DD-3 -> NS-2 Return
NS-2 Output -> Amp Return

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 27, 2013,
yeah an od3 is a different circuit, far as i'm aware. I've never tried using it as a boost, so
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Offworld92
Have you tried the OD-3? I'm not sure about that one... I am not sure, but I don't think it's a Tubescreamer derivative like the SD-1 is. It may not be very good for boosting (unless you're planning to use that one for the standalone dirt... though I haven't heard great things about it in that dept. either).

Your signal chain formatting hurts my eyes, so I'll just tell you how I'd run it.

Guitar -> Bad Monkey -> OD-3 -> NS-2 Input
NS-2 Send -> Amp Input
Amp Send -> MXR 10 Band -> Boss DD-3 -> NS-2 Return
NS-2 Output -> Amp Return

My mate uses an od-3 as a clean boost and it works pretty well Tbh so I'm gonna use that for a clean boost and the bad monkey for dirty.

I did wonder if my chains were a bit off lol I think your sounds Better haha
the blues driver might be worth a look, too. probably more transparent.

or the digitech screamin blues, which is a glorified clone with a bass control (which is handy if you're using it as a boost).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by shredzilla19
My mate uses an od-3 as a clean boost and it works pretty well Tbh so I'm gonna use that for a clean boost and the bad monkey for dirty.

I did wonder if my chains were a bit off lol I think your sounds Better haha

If you're using the OD-3 to boost, but that one first. I put the Bad Monkey first because I don't think I have ever actually heard of anyone using it as a standalone - it's pretty much THE budget overdrive to use as a boost.

Quote by Dave_Mc

or the digitech screamin blues, which is a glorified clone with a bass control (which is handy if you're using it as a boost).

+1, I would much rather have a Blues Driver/Screamer or whatever derivative as a standalone than an OD-3. At least give them a listen.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
yeah it's ages since i tried an OD3 but I remember thinking it sounded better as a standalone. Pretty thick tone.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just had a thought, would having the od pedals before the ns2 cause a feedback issue as I just tried the chain with some of my bros pedal (ds1 front, acoustic SIM and dd-3 back) and the ds1 made it really noisy.

I never thought of the blues drive, would that work for a metal style though?
i use the screamin blues for high gain. it has a bass control, though, which is handy if you need to cut bass. the boss version doesn't have the bass control so you can't adjust the bass.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Hey dave just passing by and I saw the word boosts with ironheart. I can tell you as an ironheart owner and an SD-1 user I don't like using it at all with rhythm, it adds fizzing and ugly character, but with lead its a diff story. I'd recommend to this guy to use the IRTs gain and boost functionality at all costs and not use pedal gainz!