Hiya, i'd like to buy a Line 6 pod HD500 for home use and recording. With the product itself, what do I need? Can I plug it directly to a cab or speakers, and it'll work just as good as an amp? Or as good as it can perform as an amp. Also, can I plug it directly to an audio interface and use it for recording?
No. You need a power amp, the POD is just a preamp, it won't send a signal loud enough out of it to drive a speaker.

However, yes, you can connect it via USB and use it as an audio interface.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
No. You need a power amp, the POD is just a preamp, it won't send a signal loud enough out of it to drive a speaker.

Hmm, I thought so. I think I won't be buying one, I don't have enough money to buy a separate power amp. I'm happy enough with amp sims for now Thank you
Do you still have your 6505+?

You can run the POD HD into the return of an amp, and it will bypass the preamp and run directly to the power amp and through the speakers. That's how I run my cleans, from my GT-10 through my 6505.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Do you still have your 6505+?

You can run the POD HD into the return of an amp, and it will bypass the preamp and run directly to the power amp and through the speakers. That's how I run my cleans, from my GT-10 through my 6505.

Yes, I do. But my idea was to run the 6505+ at my bands practice, and something more quiet at home. I currently use amp sims for home use but since my computer doesn't have the best processing power recording with them is really hard. So maybe I should just look into what kind of recording gear I need if I wan't to record the 6505+ properly, even if it's more difficult for me to record it. I presume the simulated mic out won't sound that good? So, instead of the pod, I could buy a simple mic and upgrade the PA system down at my bands place.
Quote by MatrixClaw

That's not true. You can run the POD HD 500 direct, no amps/cabs needed.

OP, I just use the POD for home recording, I've no amps/interfaces.
Last edited by mr_fruitbowl at Aug 27, 2013,
No it was true, he initially asked if you could use the POD plugged directly into a cab or speakers and you can't - like MatrixClaw said it doesn't output a strong enough signal to power a speaker.

You can DI it into a PA of course but that wasn't the question specifically.

There's also the option of using a powered wedge or similar but it's fair enough to assume the OP was talking about an unpowered cab.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
No it was true, he initially asked if you could use the POD plugged directly into a cab or speakers and you can't - like MatrixClaw said it doesn't output a strong enough signal to power a speaker.

You can DI it into a PA of course but that wasn't the question specifically.

There's also the option of using a powered wedge or similar but it's fair enough to assume the OP was talking about an unpowered cab.

Apologies you are correct, I read the question wrong.
Well if you're going to plug it into a computer for recording, why not just use your computer speakers (or headphones) as your output?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Well if you're going to plug it into a computer for recording, why not just use your computer speakers (or headphones) as your output?

I also wanted to use it like a regular amp, just play something random without having to hassle with computers. But I think I found better things to spend my money on. Thanks for all the advice
Well you can use pretty much any powered cab/monitor. You could just use a single KRK 5" powered monitor, they are under $175.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Well you can use pretty much any powered cab/monitor. You could just use a single KRK 5" powered monitor, they are under $175.

I could look into those, but I still think I can't stretch my budget more that much. But I'll consider this
Meh. Rokits are practically worthless for anything other than listening to music and checking mixes on, but you really can't complain at the price. There's really not many other options out there for $175 a pair used.

If you really want, you could just get a pair of M-Audio AV40s. Sound like crap for monitors, but they get the job done for practicing, and they're cheap. Alternatively, if you already have a desktop speaker system, just plug those into the headphone out of the POD. Similar sound, and free
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by guitar/bass95
Hiya, i'd like to buy a Line 6 pod HD500 for home use and recording. With the product itself, what do I need? Can I plug it directly to a cab or speakers, and it'll work just as good as an amp? Or as good as it can perform as an amp. Also, can I plug it directly to an audio interface and use it for recording?

You've gotten good advice on the recording aspect so far.

I've been using Pods for years (both the "beans" and the foot pedal versions).
You need a power amp and a set of speakers to hear what you're doing (or, of course, you can use headphones). You can use almost anything from powered computer speakers through recording monitors to powered PA speakers.

You might consider getting the Pod HD bean instead of the HD500 if you're using it at home. Easier to put up on the desk where you can see what you're doing, easier to stuff into a gig bag and you can always add a foot pedal if you need one. I put mine up on one of these on the desk, and I've actually put it out front at a gig on a mike stand; brings everything up to eye level so that you're not bending over squinting at a tiny screen or kneeling down trying to tweak something the way you do with an HD500.

You might also keep your eyes open for one of the older Atomic Reactor amps. They came in three versions: a 112-18, a 112-50 and a 212-50.

The 112-18 is a pretty good-sized closed back speaker cabinet (it's actually bigger than my Carvin Belair 2x12) with a special design 200W Eminence 12", and it has a built-in 18-watt EL84 tube power amp. It's also got a VERY clever hot-swappable bay that originally offered adapters for the M-Audio, Behringer, Vox and Pod modelers that were all about the same size. This works pretty well for me, since I've got XT, X3, HD and XT Bass versions of the beans. Maybe the best practice amp setup ever done. Carry the amp into a room, plug it in, plug the guitar in, flip the switch and play. You've got all of the capabilities of the Pod, which becomes the preamp section of the amp. If you need a foot pedal for live work, you can choose between the FBV Express (which has four bank switches, an expression pedal and a tuner display) or the full-on FBV Shortboard, which can control virtually every aspect of the beans. The good news here is that you can leave the Pod in the Atomic on your backline, and the only thing running out to the foot pedal is the equivalent of an ethernet cable. No power bricks, no guitar cables (except for the one from the amp to your guitar).

The "-50" versions have a 50W 6L6-based power amp built in. The 112 in this case is ported and the 212 is also ported and *big* -- it's just a few inches short of 4x12 size. And they have serious punch. I've got the 212 and a pair of the 112s. It turns out you can run these things in stereo (there are a few of the FX in the Pod that sound great in stereo); I've actually run a 112 on either side of the stage with the 212 in the center a time or two.

Whoa, a lot of text. Thanks for taking the time I'll take all that into consideration. And I've never heard of those amps before. Well, it's nice to learn new stuff, especially about amps
Quote by guitar/bass95
Whoa, a lot of text. Thanks for taking the time I'll take all that into consideration. And I've never heard of those amps before. Well, it's nice to learn new stuff, especially about amps

I know -- no one can read past 140 characters any more.

But I type fast.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com