Hello,

I have a Fender Jazz Bass. Please see image links.

I have detached the neck and unscrewed the neckplate, and the only numbers I can find on the guitar are on the head of the neck underneath the Fender logo:

PAT 2,573,254 2,960,900 3,143,028 2,968,204

Are these numbers specific just to this instrument? i.e its fingerprint.

I would like an approximate valuation and year and country of manufacture.
All help appreciated, many thanks.

Waysidor.
The patent would suggest it was made in 1965 - 1967 or at least made to look like it
was.

However, the binding and black lettering would say it was made in the seventies.

Also the control knobs are wrong.

That's definitely not how you fit an ash tray.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Aug 26, 2013,
Quote by Spaz91
The patent would suggest it was made in 1965 - 1967 or at least made to look like it
was.

Those are just the patent numbers. Fender likes to put them on parts/logos and reissues for historical accuracy or for traditions sake, even if the patents are expired. They have zero significance in dating or identifying it (besides it being a Fender).

It looks too new/well kept to be vintage. Lack of wear and tear is a big clue.

That is indeed a 70's style logo.

Those knobs are in fact very wrong.

If it were post 1976 it would have a serial number a la Fender's current system.

If it were pre 1976 it would have the "Original Contour Body" decal at the top of the headstock and serial or production numbers in the neck pocket/heel.

There's no truss rod adjustment at the headstock which means it's not an MIM 70's Jazz Reissue.

So unless they started doing MIM's with body-end truss rod access, maybe it could possibly be an American Vintage '74 Jazz with non-stock pickguard, knobs, and its had decals shaved off the headstock, but that's a stretch at best. Honestly its hard to come up with anything solid without a serial number or any other identifying markings/features.

And that is double definitely not how you fit an ashtray.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Well my 7th April 1965 Jazz bass looked nothing like that.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Something about screams parts bass to me.

It looks like a bass that random assortment of parts from different eras and basses to be considered an original.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Aug 27, 2013,
Quote by dark Mass
Something about screams parts bass to me.

It looks like a bass that random assortment of parts from different eras and basses to be considered an original.

Maybe a waterslide decal on a 3rd party neck? Those tuning machines are throwing me, they're definitely not Fender. The baseplates look too elongated/skinny to be anything Fender has used over the years.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
Maybe a waterslide decal on a 3rd party neck? Those tuning machines are throwing me, they're definitely not Fender. The baseplates look too elongated/skinny to be anything Fender has used over the years.

It's missing a whole list of things.

-The lack any corrosion on the hardware.
-Missing date of production tags in neck pocket and neck heel.
-The decal is a bit too short. The second s should have it's top covered the ferrule.
-No bullet truss rod nut
-A serial # should be stamped on the neck plate.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Aug 28, 2013,
The binding on Fenders is usually over the fret ends to my knowledge. The binding here is under the frets. The knobs are early 60's knobs on a 70's style jazz. There's no bullet truss rod. The neck plate is lacking any engravings. The scratchplate doesn't look like a proper Fender tortoiseshell guard; the colours and pattern are strange and lacks the white border found on Fender 3-ply plates. The screw placements on the pickguard are all wrong. Lots of discrepancies with the decals on the headstock. Look how close the decal reaches the G string tuner. What is it? That's anybody's guess; but it most likely isn't a stock Fender.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan