I have a Mini Rectifier head and Rectifier Cab.

There's a few issues with it that might mean that it doesn't suit what I play, although I love the crunch and cleans.

So in the case that I do get rid of it, I'm going to want to have a good few amps to look at. The problem is I've always been a Fender combo kind of guy, with little experience of heads and cabs as the Fenders have always been combos.

My budget is £1600.

I live in London.

I can't go used as it's store credit.

My influences are Hendrix, Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Clash, GnR, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins.

I want a Amp and cab, I like the versatility and option to swap and change. You can list me combos if you like.

So basically I want a versatile amp that has great cleans, a good crunch tone, good for blues, hard rock and some higher gain stuff, it also needs to take pedals well and a cab to suit. 2x12 ideally, but I will look at 4x12s if the price and sound is right. I don't need anything over 30w really, but feel free to list whatever you like. A master control is a must! The Rock/Blues tone is the most important to me, and the clean.

Thanks, Phil.
Definitely check out the Marshall Vintage Modern, and the JCM2000 DSL, if they have any (probably all new DSLs now though).

There's also the Laney GH and VH amps, which are excellent, not sure how common they are where you are (they are next to non-existent over here).

Probably some Traynor stuff someone will recommend, but I know absolutely nothing about that company.

Cabwise, a regular Marshall 1936 would be good, but they're not very common, not sure how easy it would be for you to get one with store credit. There's lots of other good cabs, pretty much any Marshall/Orange/Mesa and of course Harley Benton, but they all have V30s, whereas the 1936 has G12Ts.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Definitely check out the Marshall Vintage Modern, and the JCM2000 DSL, if they have any (probably all new DSLs now though).

Cabwise, a regular Marshall 1936 would be good, but they're not very common, not sure how easy it would be for you to get one with store credit. There's lots of other good cabs, pretty much any Marshall/Orange/Mesa and of course Harley Benton, but they all have V30s, whereas the 1936 has G12Ts.

I can get it ordered in, so it's no big deal. I'll look into them, thanks.

I'm not amazingly familiar with Orange amps. Are they all pretty much metal monsters?
No, not at all. That connotation is actually kind of weird to me. For the most part they're just like slightly more modern takes on the Marshall sound, but for whatever reason they have this aura around them that they're just for heavy stuff.

A Rockerverb will do blues and classic rock all day long.

They have kind of their own thing going on, but they sound ****ing good.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Maybe a second-hand Diezel Einstein 50 or a Soldano Hot Rod 50+? I'd also look into a Cornford MK50H and a Laney VH100R or GH50L. The Laney is way under your budget, especially second-hand, but they're still excellent amps.

You know, if you like to use dirt from pedals, a Matamp of some kind would make a lot of sense, or even a Marshall Super Lead or Orange OR120.
^ I need to use store credit, so I have no use for the used market :/.

What about the Orange TH30? Too much for what I need?
Last edited by Mephaphil at Aug 26, 2013,
Oh sorry, missed that bit. If it's a particular shop then I can't really help unless I know what they stock.
Quote by Mephaphil
^ I need to use store credit, so I have no use for the used market :/.

What about the Orange TH30? Too much for what I need?

The TH30 is great. My friend Mike Martin did a great demo of one. You should try one out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjHSLO86APo

Maybe something like the Rockerverb 50 would do well too.

Edit: The Tiny Terror might be good too if you like single channel amps. It's only 15 watts but that mother****er is LOUD. You could easily gig with that if you mic the cab up no problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_VfqiPeTIU
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at Aug 26, 2013,
I was going to recommend the TH30, cuz i play one, but someone beat me too it.. sooo +1 Orange TH30
Another vote for Orange- Phil, you should know they're on my G.A.S. list!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'd say more JCM800 instead of the rockverb for what you play, though I think the orange is more versatile.

About the cab, have a look at the Harley Benton G212/G412 Vintage from thomann.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Nice! Just a heads up, remember that there are is a fairly drastic volume discrepancy between the two channels but can be EQ'd to work when switching channels. I love my TH30, first Orange amp I've ever had and I am very impressed. This might be something that some tube swaps could change but I have not seen this as a huge issue, just a learning curve.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by Mephaphil
I quite like the Orange, I had a go today.

I'm pulling the trigger! Thanks!

nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
nice. Ages since I tried one, but I liked it a lot.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i think it came with 6v6es at one point? not sure what it comes with now
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Mephaphil
Sorry. I should say it's the Rockerverb 50.

Hey. Hey guess what?

I hate you.

Do a NAD!

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X