How do you guys go along for designs for your bands? From t shirts to albums. Do ya'll do it yourself or hire someone? If you hire someone do you just find a piece of art they have already made or do you give them an idea of what you want? Do you work with them till they've made what you want or do they go with whatever? And if you don't like it do you still have to pay them?

Also any tips for a successful t-shirt/sticker/logo etc?

thanks
The drummer here is a web designer, so he's pretty good with art and stuff.

I also draw, so we usually have to decide whose logo design to use in which situation...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I'd draw it myself like magikarp
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
I hire Whywefight's buddy Steve.

Steve rocks at those types of things.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Deviantart job offers forum, I offer about 20 bucks for all my album covers, a lot of elitists scoff at teh price, but some work for that or less usually, or are building a portfolio and working for cheap until they get enough examples of their work.

http://forum.deviantart.com/jobs/offers/

http://daydreamanatomy.bandcamp.com to see what I get for 10-20 bucks.
Last edited by stratkat at Aug 27, 2013,
Quote by stratkat
Deviantart job offers forum, I offer about 20 bucks for all my album covers, a lot of elitists scoff at teh price, but some work for that or less usually, or are building a portfolio and working for cheap until they get enough examples of their work.

It has nothing to do with being elitist. If you're a professional making a living off of your work, you usually simply can't work for that cheap.

Unless they were trying to jack the price up without having shit to show for it. Then yeah, elitists and bungholes.
Quote by CoreysMonster
It has nothing to do with being elitist. If you're a professional making a living off of your work, you usually simply can't work for that cheap.

Unless they were trying to jack the price up without having shit to show for it. Then yeah, elitists and bungholes.

They wanted me to pay more at a time when I wasn't even sure I'd make 20 dollars off the album. They could've just ignored the thread and went to a thread with someone offering the money they wanted. I knew what quality to expect for 20 dollars.

The artist who did the UG anime album 2 cover charges 15 dollars per colored commission. Actually the artist I go to most has done my last 3 album art covers for free because she likes my music, and in exchange I give her some tracks that are exclusive for a game she's making for free.
Last edited by stratkat at Aug 27, 2013,
Quote by stratkat
They wanted me to pay more at a time when I wasn't even sure I'd make 20 dollars off the album. They could've just ignored the thread and went to a thread with someone offering the money they wanted. I knew what quality to expect for 20 dollars, at that price range you'll usually get a young hobbiest, and nothing jaw dropping, the artist who did the UG anime album 2 cover charges 15 dollars per colored commission.

Oh I thought you had asked people directly. If they just came into your thread to bitch, then that's just being a dick.

Nevermind then. There are some freaking great hobbyists on DeviantArt.

Also some freaking creepy shit, but that's beside the point.

EDIT: dang, why didn't I ever think of that? Instead of trying to do things with my shitty art skills, I can just spend some Euros to have somebody good do it for me.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 27, 2013,
Quote by stratkat

I don't think that's too elitist. If people are willing to pay for the work they should be able to charge that much. My brother does a lot of pen stuff and makes about $100 a piece
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Artist friends mostly--
some stuff we do ourselves (like posters and one t-shirt design), especially starting out, but we've had one especially talented and close friend do new t-shirts and this album cover/font as well as the back cover art as well for a small price we could afford for her time. I love the photo hence my avatar :3

Another friend painted us a poster inside for cost of materials. Most friends are willing to help out if you ask.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Quote by WCPhils
I don't think that's too elitist. If people are willing to pay for the work they should be able to charge that much. My brother does a lot of pen stuff and makes about $100 a piece

But I didn't ask these people, they stumbled upon my ad and just gave me shit for the amount I could afford/was offering. I wasn't expecting anything amazing.

I'm just saying hobbyists, and people who mostly just draw for fun will work for that, and if you're lucky someone really really good, but new to the market will do it for that low of a price just to build a commision portfolio, more doing it for his/herself than for you. Hell if I got what some of those guys wanted per hour with my music, I'd have it easier.
Quote by stratkat
But I didn't ask these people, they stumbled upon my ad and just gave me shit for the amount I could afford/was offering. I wasn't expecting anything amazing.

I'm just saying hobbyists, and people who mostly just draw for fun will work for that, and if you're lucky someone really really good, but new to the market will do it for that low of a price just to build a commision portfolio, more doing it for his/herself than for you. Hell if I got what some of those guys wanted per hour with my music, I'd have it easier.

Oh yea, that's kind of weird they would just go after you for that.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...