So it's time for me to buy a new amp as I've put up with my cheap 40W Randall solid state for long enough.

Location - Australia
Budget - approx $800 AUD. Can go higher, would prefer not to. You know how it is.
Used or new (preferably new of course). I'll only go used if It will shave a considerable amount off the price. http://www.musicswopshop.com.au/ is a good used store near enough to me.
I'll be playing it with a Schecter Hellraiser c-1 (EMG pickups)

Styles - I Want to have some sexy cleans and be able to nail rock and blues tones. Nice warm crunchy distortions and smooth overdriven tones. I do play heavy metal as well but I figure I'm best off getting those sounds with pedals seeing as my budget will probably restrict me from achieving every sound I want (I have an EHX Metal Muff).
Think SRV, Hendrix, ACDC, GnR, Andy Timmons, Offspring, Dire Straits, Iron Maiden up to bands like Trivium, Parkway Drive, Metallica. I do play a rather large range of styles from time to time. Cleans are important to me.

So I guess I'm after a pretty versatile amp that is going to serve me for a long time to come. I'm not currently in a band, but I want this amp to be able to compete with drummers and even do gigs for the future, while still allowing me to play by myself in the shed at moderate volumes. So far I've looked at the Vox AC30 and the Peavey classic 30, and I'm kind of leaning towards the Peavey. I would just like some other options that I haven't considered or heard of that I should really look into.

Also please note: I am in Australia. This means higher prices, harder to find gear and less chance of me being able to try an amp out before buying it

Any help appreciated, thanks.
Last edited by wildozer at Aug 27, 2013,
Quote by Blackfire.
How bout a EVH 5150 III 50 watt and 212 cab. You'll want at least 50 watts to do a gig.

Yeah. Well no actually, Because the ac30 is ungodly loud. You can wake up people in other countries with that thing.

I guess a classic 30 and pedals could work. Really nice amp.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Yeah, a 5150 III would be a good idea if you can afford it.

If you can't instead, get a used 6505/6505+ with a 2x12/4x12 cab,
or a bugera 6260/6262, again with a cab,
or a 6505/6505+ combo if you don't like stacks.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Aren't these 5150s and 6505s etc all mostly for the extremely heavy tones? How do their cleans and overdrive/crunch tones sound? Again, I'm not particularly interested in getting brootal tones from the amp itself, these are a lower priority than beautiful cleans and smooth overdrives. But I will certainly check them out anyway

EDIT: the EVH is way out of my budget as well
Last edited by wildozer at Aug 27, 2013,
Try some of the Blackstar HT Venue range, good value, and a good range of tones from them. I have an HT60 Soloist, and can pull off some pretty convincing Knopfler and Andy summers sounds, depending on the guitar I'm using, and the drive will go from classic rock to heavily driven at the twist of the gain knob.
Quote by drdecibel
Try some of the Blackstar HT Venue range, good value, and a good range of tones from them. I have an HT60 Soloist, and can pull off some pretty convincing Knopfler and Andy summers sounds, depending on the guitar I'm using, and the drive will go from classic rock to heavily driven at the twist of the gain knob.

Blackstar HT gets my vote.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Laney Ironheart irt60h is an underrated amp, it fits your price range and it's a very versatile amp, cab 2x12 and 4x12 availiable from Laney and made for the Ironheart series. Good clean tone, better than the 5150/6505, 5150II/6505+ which are pure garbage, rythm and lead can be pushed to reach an modern metal type of vibe, and even death metal, check youtube for videos. around 650e for the head in EU, 400e for the cab 4x12 .
How much are Traynors in your area TS?
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
dammit everyone beat me to the blackstar. im personally getting a blackstar ht club 50. should check them out man youll love them
Lovely suggestions everybody. listening to demos; I'm totally blown away by the Blackstar club 40 and the traynor ycv40 sounds great . Wasn't a fan of the Ironheart though, it seemed a little cold and characterless but maybe that was just the demo.

The Traynor might be difficult for me to find however, so I am leaning towards this club 40 combo. I just think the Blackstar will give me sweet Clapton blues crunch and by the sounds of it I will be able to nail an Iron Maiden tone! Am I right? I can get one new for $800

Keep the suggestions coming!

EDIT: the Traynor actually sounds incredible, it was hard to find a decent demo though. How is a man supposed to make these decisions??? I guess at the moment I've got it down to blackstar, traynor or a peavey classic maybe
Last edited by wildozer at Aug 28, 2013,
Cathbard.

Maybe.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Cathbard.

Maybe.

The cute little homemade tin shell amps? They look great, not sure if they would really be reliable enough for gigging though. It looks rather fragile.
I was talking to guy in an acdc cover band who was using it he basically explained it as all the good people from karshall going and making their own company. Seems about right thou