Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

as we all know, the U.S. is now considering taking action in Syria due to the strong evidence that chemical weapons may have been used against the population.

A particularly interesting stance, since back when the United States and Saddam of Iraq were friends (the 1980's), the Americans very well knew that he was using large amounts of chemical weapons against the Iranian troops and even supplied information about the whereabouts of said troops.

Link: http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2013/08/25/secret_cia_files_prove_america_helped_saddam_as_he_gassed_iran

The source is the "Foreign Policy" magazine which bases its story in now declassified CIA documents and interviews with former U.S. military and intelligence officials.

What do you think of this? Isn't this the epitome of hypocrisy?
On the one hand, the U.S. are so concerned about chemical weapons being used in Syria but on the other hand, not too long ago, they fully knew and looked away when their past friend Saddam used such weapons on enemy troops.

Discuss.

TL;DR: The US knew that Saddam used chemical weapons (back when they were friends in the 1980's) and looked away, but today they point the finger at Assad for being a bad guy for doing the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, I truly think that the use of chemical weapons is disgusting, I am just outraged by the stance the U.S. is taking right now due to the fact that they knew that not too long ago their friend Saddam did exactly the same thing and they looked away.
Quote by Alix_D
Never heard of Seinfeld, what kind of music do they play? Assuming they use Kramers, it must be heavy!

SAVE GIBSON

nowai
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Obama is a shitbag.

EDIT:Guys.

Hey guys.

Remember...

Way back when Americans used chemical weapons in Vietnam? lolololol
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Aug 27, 2013,
Did they, aye?
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
getting bombed with incendiaries isn't any more fun either. so whatevs
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
The USA is to this date also the only country to have used atomic weapons. That doesn't mean we can go "Yeah, but they did it, too!" when talking about countries using atomic weapons.
Quote by Eruption1991
Don't get me wrong, I truly think that the use of chemical weapons is disgusting, I am just outraged by the stance the U.S. is taking right now due to the fact that they knew that not too long ago their friend Saddam did exactly the same thing and they looked away.

Get outraged at the actions of the US in the 80's, by all means. But don't get outraged at the stance of the US now.

Or aren't people/countries allowed to progress?
RIP Gooze

cats
is it in the constitution
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
i guess you're right. we should probably advocate for the use of chemical weapons from now on for the sake of being logically consistent. a precedent has been set. no going back now.

dumbass.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
i guess you're right. we should probably advocate for the use of chemical weapons from now on for the sake of being logically consistent. a precedent has been set. no going back now.

dumbass.

That isn't what he is saying at all. I'm not even sure how you could interpret it that way.

Anyway, the relations between the countries and which action is most beneficial to the US are different now than they were 30 years ago.
In what way shape or form did the US assist?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Thank goodness the same administration has been in place since 80s and there've been no major changes, now we can hold them accountable for their flip-flopping
My God, it's full of stars!
It's a completely different administration...

I love how dumb all of the arbitrarily anti-government people are.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
i am outraged that the US killed osama bin laden due to the fact that they aided al qaeda when the soviets invaded afghanistan. how you gonna play a brotha like that?
^ I know you're joking, but some people might not realize that AQ did not exist then.
My God, it's full of stars!
So you're outraged because we're now condemning something bad that we didn't before?

Hypocrisy? No, we have completely different people running things and making the decisions since over two decades ago.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by mulefish
Get outraged at the actions of the US in the 80's, by all means. But don't get outraged at the stance of the US now.

Or aren't people/countries allowed to progress?

Ofcourse they're allowed to, but that assumes they're capable of progress, and the only thing the USA as a nation has shown progress in is technology. 30 years of moral standstill is pretty extreme. And hell if anything, 9/11 made the USA paranoid.
Quote by Eruption1991

Over 20 years isn't a long time?
So what you're saying is: Countries help their allies and don't help their enemies.

Very interesting stuff, TS. I look forward to seeing more of your posts.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
So what you're saying is: Countries help their allies and don't help their enemies.

Very interesting stuff, TS. I look forward to seeing more of your posts.

All it shows to me is that the US has quite a curious way of choosing their allies.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by the bartender
All it shows to me is that the US has quite a curious way of choosing their allies.

We ally with whomever it's politically expedient to ally with at the time.
U new, TS? This is not surprising in the least.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
well i suppose if the us were scumbags a couple decades ago and they do something good they are bad for not acting like scumbags again, right?
This is all a cover up for the fact that Assad had a page about Obama in his burn book in high school.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
So, uh, is Obama (and/or his advisers) to blame for this administration's decisions or for the decisions of the Reagan administration?

Btw, since all the other countries sat back and did nothing either, then why is the US the only country at blame? No one went to war with Saddam in '88 on the grounds that he had used chemical weapons. Why is the US the only country getting shit-canned by TS because of its complacency in '88?

Quote by the bartender

And every other country does exact same thing. Don't kid yourself.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 27, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
No one went to war with Saddam in '88 on the grounds that he had used chemical weapons. Why is the US the only country getting shit-canned by TS because of its complacency in '88?

Why don't you try actually reading the points made in the OP instead of having an argument with yourself?
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Why don't you try actually reading the points made in the OP instead of having an argument with yourself?

TS clearly is saying it's hypocritical of the US to denounce Assad now, when the US sat back in '88 and did nothing about Saddam's use. Even supposing the US disclosed information on where the enemy troops were to Saddam's administration, you can't blame the US. They didn't pull the trigger. It was the UN that finally drafted an agreement that countries would stop using chemical weapons. Prior to that agreement, it was perfectly valid for any and all countries to use chemical weapons (whether it was morally acceptable or not).
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 27, 2013,
Quote by captaincrunk
just like Civilization 5!

DENOUNCING!

bcuz you expanded your border onto the silk resource i wanted.

OT:**** Ronald Reagan. i hope he dies.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

no way?!?! really?!?!

OMG
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by willT08
Jesus wept

So he did.

Quote by jakesmellspoo
no way?!?! really?!?!

OMG

I know. Imagine that.
To clarify a few things
Iraq and the US were never "friends". The expediency in providing assistance vs Iran was more in lines with the enemy of my enemy is my friend. The actual US stance on this war was "we hope they both kill each other" That was printed in the 80's but I don't recall which US bureaucrat said it.
The US knew about Iraq's use of cw and may have shared intelligence with Iraq but that does not come anywhere near the complicity of EU nations selling the materials required to manufacture these weapons. Knowing what these materials were being used for. Particularly Germany and France.
So go bash your own selves for a bit then won't you?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Page 1 of 2