Hey all, I recently purchased a JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain Dual Reverb amp head second hand and was wondering if there was a cab around the $400-$500 price range you would recommend to get a Pop Punk sound. I was looking into a MesaBoogie cab because I know All Time Low used some for a while... but let me know what you think
Band Ex: All Time Low, Tonight Alive, Blink-182, Forever Ends Here, Sleeping With Sirens, Pierce The Veil, Fall Out Boy

Just for reference I would be using it with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro with a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB in the bridge and a SH-1 '59 in the neck.

Thanks!
Last edited by Ninryoku at Aug 27, 2013,
If you can find one there, get a Harley Benton, which has the exact same speakers, is made of plywood (of the same Wood), and costs less than a half.

If you can't find that, I'd get the cheapest between the orange and the mesa.
Same speakers, same materials and stuff.

I'd go for the orange though, even if it costed a bit more.
I mean, it's orange.
Orange!

How cool would it be to show off such a thing to your friends and family and audience?
Think about that too.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The Harley Benton would be great. You'd be able to get a matching cab in your budget easily as well. That'd work well.

Also might want to have a look at Avatar. They do good stuff for pretty cheap.
[404]Signature not found
Quote by Spambot_2
If you can find one there, get a Harley Benton, which has the exact same speakers, is made of plywood (of the same Wood), and costs less than a half.

No they are not.

The mesa V30 is different than the V30 any other company uses. It is made only for Mesa with the original V30 spec's.(it is still made in the UK also)

The mesa is also made of Marine-grade (PT) 3/4" birch.

I would take a used Mesa Recto cab over a HB any day of the week, no comparison.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 27, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
No they are not.

The mesa V30 is different than the V30 any other company uses. It is made only for Mesa with the original V30 spec's.

I would take a used Mesa Recto cab over a HB any day of the week, no comparison.

This.

Also Orange cabs are fantastic. I have a Bogner 4x12 that I love beyond measure and you cna't go far wrong with Framus.

Don't get a plywood cab, you'll thank us later!
Quote by Robbgnarly
No they are not.

The mesa V30 is different than the V30 any other company uses. It is made only for Mesa with the original V30 spec's.(it is still made in the UK also)

Are they not?

Aww, sorry about that, the "V30" written on the mesa site tricked me.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2

If you can't find that, I'd get the cheapest between the orange and the mesa.
Same speakers, same materials and stuff.

I'd go for the orange though, even if it costed a bit more.
I mean, it's orange.
Orange!

How cool would it be to show off such a thing to your friends and family and audience?
Think about that too.

Orange and mesa cabs might have the same speakers, and be made of the same raw materials - but they certainly sound different.
Cab construction definitely has an impact on tone.

On a budget the harley benton is very hard to beat. But orange and mesa cabs (for instance) are better.
Apart from the big brands (marshall, mesa, orange etc) check out avatar cabs if you are in the us. They are great value over there
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Spambot_2
Are they not?

Aww, sorry about that, the "V30" written on the mesa site tricked me.

Yeah, it is some confusing shite.

Celestion still makes the "original" V30 for only Mesa (I don't know the reasoning other than Mesa buys a lot and Celestion wants the money). These speakers are not as harsh in the upper mids like the normal V30 that Orange/Marshall/ect use.

Oh and one more to confuse you, Marshall (and a few others) sometimes use the V30L which is slightly different than the mesa V30 and the standard V30
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Eladamri

wut? the mesa and orange cabs are plywood too for 95% (that statistic might be made up) of guitar tones you actively want a plywood cabinet.

Quote by Robbgnarly
No they are not.

agreed.

the harley benton (especially in europe, where mesa prices etc. are crazy) is nigh-on impossible to beat for the money. However, if you're willing to spend more, you can get better cabs. That's not to say the HB is bad- I'd say it's a decent cab, it's not rubbish or anything like that. But you can do better if you're willing to spend more.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
not too sure where you are at, but i use orange cabs mainly. i'd accept an avatar contemporary design though and save some cash and get speakers that i want (i don't dig on the V30's myself).

if you have some time and patience then you can score some real deals on the secondary market.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Eladamri

Nothing wrong with plywood, you're probably thinking of MDF.

**** MDF. So hard.

Anyway TS, any of the usual suspects will work. Orange, Mesa, Marshall (either the 1936V or 1960AV/BV. The "V" at the end is the important distinction), Avatar (not sure where in the world you're located).

There are also cabs that are not the usual suspects, which can be found for INSANE prices considering how good they are. These mainly consist of Line 6 (Vetta or Spider Valve cabs), and Randall (not very familiar, just check the particular model to see).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 27, 2013,
In my experience, Krank rev 4x12 cabs are really hard to beat. I bought one over mesa, orange, marshall
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah leave mdf to Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen

^ bit of a weird choice on the 1" speakers, though. No wonder Krank went out of business

EDIT: damn your ninja editing
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll be sure to research a lot of these. As for my location I'm in the USA, Washington state
Look here good prices on used cabs www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I use a Avatar contemporary 1x12 with a Hellatone 60. Soon i'll be upgrading to a 2x12 and then maybe a 4x12. For the money you really can't do much better, especially for the type of music you wish to play.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah leave mdf to Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen

^ bit of a weird choice on the 1" speakers, though. No wonder Krank went out of business

EDIT: damn your ninja editing

that's why you always quote them
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Great suggestions here. I'll throw another into the mix. White Box Engineering.

I got their Modern 212 a few months ago and it sounds phenomenal. The price is great as well. They build and ship very quickly.
Check out Zilla as well. Great cabs.
Bogner Oversize 212, maybe.

Also, rather buy a really good 212 than a mid-range 412, in my opinion.
Quote by gumbilicious
that's why you always quote them

yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
No they are not.

This might be a bit of a stupid question but I'm new to this, would a Mesa Boogie Mini-Recto 1X12 Rectifier Straight Cab provide me with the same sound?
Quote by Ninryoku
This might be a bit of a stupid question but I'm new to this, would a Mesa Boogie Mini-Recto 1X12 Rectifier Straight Cab provide me with the same sound?

No, it will be very similar but lack the depth/fullness that a 2x12 or 4x12 recto cab has
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 29, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
No, it will be very similar but lack the depth that a 2x12 or 4x12 recto cab has

So if I were to get a Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Rectifier Cabinet - 2x12" Horizontal would it be closer?
Quote by Ninryoku
So if I were to get a Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Rectifier Cabinet - 2x12" Horizontal would it be closer?

Or vertical is what I'd be going for I guess, sorry.
Quote by Ninryoku

Yes it will be much closer, but only a 4x12 sounds like a 4x12
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yes it will be much closer, but only a 4x12 sounds like a 4x12

Ahaha alright I gotcha. Thank you for the help! I believe you helped me when picking out pickups too...
Hey guys, I've noticed All Time Low has been using Egnater now instead of Mesa/Boogie and a lot of Egnater stuff is on sale on Musician's Friend right now. Is there one that would get a sound like this with my Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi Gain Dual Reverb you would suggest that is a 2x12? I don't really need a 4x12 right now and would like to save the money.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/egnater-vn-412-4x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet/h72386000001000?CJAID=10381297&CJPID=2502662
Last edited by Ninryoku at Sep 5, 2013,
Or would an Egnater Tourmaster 212X 2x12 be a viable option for Pop Punk?
I was hoping to stack the head on the cab and see as my head is about 28" long I couldn't really put it on something like a Mesa/Boogie Mini Rectifier Cabinet - 1x12" or else I'd just get that.
There is a Mesa Recto 4x12 on the www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear section for $399. I would grab it if I were you
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
There is a Mesa Recto 4x12 on the www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear section for $399. I would grab it if I were you

You're a savior. I'll order this up as soon as I get off work assuming its still there.
Quote by Ninryoku
You're a savior. I'll order this up as soon as I get off work assuming its still there.

Just type mesa boogie in the search bar on the right
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ not really, but which one(s) are you looking at? They have (might be discontinued) a UK-made range with good eminence speakers which I'm guessing were at least decent, and a cheaper chinese(?)-made range with less good speakers which I'm guessing is not so good (but which may still be alright with a speaker swap, if they're plywood).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?