Page 1 of 2
After Miley Cyrus's VMA performance, people started debating about her behavior.

One on side (mostly parents I suppose) were outraged that the former Disney star is setting a bad example for younger kids watching her, specifically young girls, who can be extremely impressionable. Since she is in the public eye, she has some, if not a lot, of impact to viewers.

There is another side commenting on her image, music and performance's cultural impact on the norms that it draws from. See this article from the Guardian

While there are also many who think Miley Cyrus should be left alone to do her own thing and she should be allowed to act how she wants because she is 1) an adult, 2) not responsible for anyone else's child 3)she is an entertainer.

What do you guys think?

When it comes to situations like this, I always wonder where the parents are. It is not Miley Cyrus' job to teach kids values and to complain that she is being a bad role model is a sign of lazy parenting, imo. The parent's or adults in the family, ideally, are the primary role models and to rely on some girl who has absolutely no stake in your child's life is just silly.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Last edited by kikaykitko at Aug 27, 2013,
Depends on the people.

Miles Cyrus certainly should, considering her role as Hannah Montana.
Quote by whoomit
Depends on the people.

Miles Cyrus certainly should, considering her role as Hannah Montana.

You mean she should be expected as a role model? (just clarifying) Because I see that happening with Taylor Swift who started out as a good girl. Still a good girl but now she is a grown woman singing about teenage troubles. Not saying that entertainers can't mature without becoming skanky, but is it okay to say how they can or cannot manage their image?

Besides, her target demographic as Hannah Montana are all grown up too. Probably doing the same thing she's doing without her help.

Quote by metaldud536
No. But her whole act has been done before. The "Look-im-not-a-little-girl-anymore" act. She can twerk her ass all she wants. She's flat and has no curves.

Yeah. I found out last night that her manager now was Britney Spears' former manager. No wonder the similarity.
Quote by Jackal58
It was a publicity stunt that worked.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I believe in the last 10 years pop music has been flooded with female artists trying to "outsex" the other female artists.

Be it Beyonce, Rihanna, Gaga, Perry, now Cyrus.

I remember being 12 and watching Aguilera shaking her ass in her video like she had ass fleas or something. And Beyonce as well. Shakira too. Damn she had a nice ass.

Anyway, sex has always been sold to the masses since Presley. It's not much different to Bieber now.

The problem is, that some parents are shitty parents and won't be teaching their kids any morals.

Next thing you know all these girls will be giving handjobs AND twerking at the same time beyond the school gym. Expect teenage birth rates to spike.

I blame ******music.
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Aug 27, 2013,
Quote by kikaykitko
the former Disney star is setting a bad example

It's a bad example to be sexual? I thought that was the dream of all free and liberated women it's not like she's lying in a ditch with a needle in her arm

What the fuck is wrong with her face though

Quote by kikaykitko
You mean she should be expected as a role model? (just clarifying) Because I see that happening with Taylor Swift who started out as a good girl. Still a good girl but now she is a grown woman singing about teenage troubles. Not saying that entertainers can't mature without becoming skanky, but is it okay to say how they can or cannot manage their image?

Besides, her target demographic as Hannah Montana are all grown up too. Probably doing the same thing she's doing without her help.

Yeah that's what I meant.

I think certain responsibilities come with fame. Lewd behaviour shouldn't be encouraged, there's enough of that without celebrity validation.

You might be right about her target demograph, I'm not sure. I thought her audience were a good few years younger than her.
Quote by Philip_pepper

The problem is, that some parents are shitty parents and won't be teaching their kids any morals.

THANK YOU.

Quote by whoomit
Yeah that's what I meant.

I think certain responsibilities come with fame. Lewd behaviour shouldn't be encouraged, there's enough of that without celebrity validation.

You might be right about her target demograph, I'm not sure. I thought her audience were a good few years younger than her.

I wouldn't go so far as saying it's a responsibility. They have the influence, obviously, but I think it is their choice what to do with that influence and what to influence exactly. It'd be great if they didn't look disgusting on TV but that is their choice.

Quote by Våd Hamster
It's a bad example to be sexual? I thought that was the dream of all free and liberated women it's not like she's lying in a ditch with a needle in her arm

I thought so too except that people argue she objectifies herself. I'm not sure how as she is clearly in control of her own sexuality. They were also outraged by her current music where she sings about doing drugs or something, IDK, I don't listen to her. I do know Demi Lovato warned her about doing drugs.
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Våd Hamster

There's nothing wrong with being sexual, she's not being that, she's being a ****ing ******. Is that really what you want kids to think of sexuality? There's a difference between being a liberated woman and one who has no respect for herself, because that's what it is, she's selling herself for publicity... most of what she does isn't for herself, but for publicity. Look at her ****ing hair ffs. I wouldn't call that a liberated woman.
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
I believe that celebrities who are marketed to a young audience have a moral and philosophical obligation to refrain from obscene sexual gestures.

Basically if you're getting paid millions to dance in front of some kids grow the **** up and accept that you have an obligation to act responsibly. This goes for any celebrity.
Quote by kikaykitko

I thought so too except that people argue she objectifies herself. I'm not sure how as she is clearly in control of her own sexuality. They were also outraged by her current music where she sings about doing drugs or something, IDK, I don't listen to her. I do know Demi Lovato warned her about doing drugs.

Eh, even if she kept singing about rainbows and high school, her fans would move on to whatever flavour of the month teen-rebel pop star is airing currently. Miley is just following her fans

Quote by shelovemyguitar
There's nothing wrong with being sexual, she's not being that, she's being a ****ing ******. Is that really what you want kids to think of sexuality? There's a difference between being a liberated woman and one who has no respect for herself, because that's what it is, she's selling herself for publicity... most of what she does isn't for herself, but for publicity. Look at her ****ing hair ffs. I wouldn't call that a liberated woman.

I really don't care how our kids grow up. If they want to spend every waking moment fucking and drinking, I can understand that.
Last edited by Våd Hamster at Aug 27, 2013,
Parents should know that what Miley is doing isn't outside the norm for child celebrities.

Now only if she would stop thinking she's black...
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Celebrities having being role-models is to be expected when their mad fans consider their word to be better than that of their strict parents. That why they're called celebrities, their actions and ideas are 'celebrated'.

I don't think they want to be role models though. If they did, they'd become a teacher.
Quote by shelovemyguitar

While I agree that acting like that isn't what sexuality and liberated woman's behavior is, it's her job to make money and this is making her money. I do think she is doing it for herself, she chose this career and she can afford to retire now or go any direction she wants. She is an adult.

And I don't think she is responsible for teaching kids about sexuality. It's the parents' job. Also their job to tell their sons they don't wanna touch that with a 10 foot pole. LOL

Quote by Våd Hamster
Eh, even if she kept singing about rainbows and high school, her fans would move on to whatever flavour of the month teen-rebel pop star is airing currently. Miley is just following her fans

I agree. I think parents forget that kids pick up sex from everywhere.
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by kikaykitko
I wouldn't go so far as saying it's a responsibility. They have the influence, obviously, but I think it is their choice what to do with that influence and what to influence exactly. It'd be great if they didn't look disgusting on TV but that is their choice.

I think it is, as they know that lots of impressionable young people are going to be influenced by them. Obviously the parents are ultimately responsible, but parents can't be there all the time, and music TV and radio are highly accessible.
i think the parents are rightfully concerned, because what else can they do? no miley cyrus for a week? at the same time they have no right to tell anyone but their children what to do.

the only solution is to stop everybody from having children.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
No, it's a parents' responsibility to explain whether someone is a good role model or not and whether a behavior is acceptable. If children get bad ideas from Miley Cyrus being crass, that's not her problem.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Lord_Doku
Celebrities having being role-models is to be expected when their mad fans consider their word to be better than that of their strict parents. That why they're called celebrities, their actions and ideas are 'celebrated'.

I don't think they want to be role models though. If they did, they'd become a teacher.

Except teachers don't make millions of dollars.

Quote by whoomit
I think it is, as they know that lots of impressionable young people are going to be influenced by them. Obviously the parents are ultimately responsible, but parents can't be there all the time, and music TV and radio are highly accessible.

True that they can't be there all the time. They can't be there when the kids are in school or the park or the mall. But it's still their job to teach fundamental values that will equip their kids with the judgment that they see fit.

While they can't be there all the time, and they shouldn't, they must be able to first lay the foundation and reinforce it throughout their kid's life. You don't just teach a kid once then throw it out into the world.

I am sure they know who they are influencing but I don't think they are obligated to act a certain way because of that. It would be great if they did and I would admire them if they were able to make a successful career out of it. But ultimately, they will do what they think is best for them and not millions of fans they do not know personally.
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by rockingamer2
Parents should know that what Miley is doing isn't outside the norm for child celebrities.

I don't think the fact that a lot of other child celebrities have done stupid shit like this means we should act like Miley pulling a strip club style performace was acceptable. Even if you don't consider the moral questions, it was incredibly cringe-y and cheap quality entertainment.
We all should be.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
She's an entertainer, I found it entertaining.

She doesn't have to appeal to the same fan base until she dies.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by zilant
No. Learn to raise your own kids so strangers don't have to.

I guess your kids won't be going to school then?

Also, yes I think if you want to be celebrated in the public eye and basically paid to do so, you should be expected to be a role model.
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
Also, yes I think if you want to be celebrated in the public eye and basically paid to do so, you should be expected to be a role model.

Depends on who is celebrating you. The public can be just one demographic yet everyone else still sees them. And I don't think they should be expected to be a good role model if they are celebrated for a certain kind of behavior.
Quote by Jackal58
See my earlier post about appealing to a certain kind of fan base. No-ones looking to Kim Kardashian for religious advice.
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
See my earlier post about appealing to a certain kind of fan base. No-ones looking to Kim Kardashian for religious advice.

So why are people looking to Miley Cyrus for "proper" behavior? She isn't a child anymore and certainly isn't making music geared towards kids.
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
If children get bad ideas from Miley Cyrus being crass, that's not her problem.

/thread
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I'm extremely athletic. I've played football (American), boxed, ran, and swam since I was like 12. I never had any posters of pro athletes on my walls. I didn't really look up to anybody in the sports world because I considered my Dad and older brother (who were both athletic prodigies) to be my role models. As such, nobody had to get upset when Marshawn lynch gets arrested for DUI, etc. Raise your kids to look up to real people in their lives and you don't have to be upset when some famous person you don't even know does something stupid.

If you don't want your kids to think that what Miley is doing is what sexuality is all about, then sit down with them and speak with them about what you believe and why you believe it. The parents who are afraid of Miley (or anyone else) corrupting their kids are the same ones who don't teach the kids anything. So the kids go out and find someone else to teach them.

My 2 cents.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Aug 27, 2013,
Hell no.

My children will be able to choose whoever the hell they want as a role model, but I will try to distance them from any celebrity bullshit. A role model should be someone that actually makes a positive impact, and doesn't need recognition for it. I'm sure that would be hard for a child to understand, but it's worth a shot.
Should celebrities be expected to be role models? Yes.

Edit: Just because you have the power to be a dumbass, doesn't mean you should.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Last edited by Funk Monk at Aug 27, 2013,
ITT: kids pretending they now how to raise kids.

no.

you shouldn't have to live with being a celebrity because you're good at what you do whether its acting, music, business or whatever.

id hate to get super famous.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by kikaykitko

lol, her target demo is like 12-14 now
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Philip_pepper

This, end of thread, everybody can go home now, nothing else worth of interest to see here.
Page 1 of 2