Hello all,
I have at the moment a Boss DS-1 pedal and it doesn't quite cut the mustard, doesn't quite make the right tones for me. I play a lot of Foo Fighters, Muse, Green Day, Arctic Monkeys ect. My current guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro. and my current amp is a Peavey Vypyr 15 but I am going to be upgrading to a Blackstar HT-5C. Could you recommend any distortion/overdrive pedals that could work for me?
Thanks very much!
Boss DS-1 is another one of those distortion pedals that really divide opinions (mostly towards negative) as stand-alone distortion, but has been used well as a boost.

...Why the hell do you need a distortion pedal with Vypyr 15? That has good high gain models on the red channel as it is. You shouldnt need a distortion pedal. The biggest limiting factor is the low wattage and puny ass speaker anyway. That and distortion pedals rarely play nice with modeling amps.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 27, 2013,
I have an HT5H and just bought a Fulltone OCD. It's hands down the best pedal distortion I've ever used. Definitely worth checking it out!

(that's not to say it is the best, but that it's the best I've used!)
Why are you guys getting high gain amps and then using pedals?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Initially I wanted a boost, but ended up loving the fulltone too much. I only use the clean channel now, and the OD channel to simulate power amp saturation at low volumes. I'm looking for a Rebel 20 soon.

Also the high gain on the HT5 isn't the best...
The red channel on the 15 is pretty awful I'm not so sure about the Ht-5 its just I want a tube amp as they sound so much nicer.
I shall look into the Fulltone!
wait till you get the amp. it might be fine on its own. or with an od boost pedal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Distortion pedals are bad if you're looking for a tube distortion sound, but good if you're looking for a unique tone, in my opinion.
Quote by MutantWombat
The red channel on the 15 is pretty awful I'm not so sure about the Ht-5 its just I want a tube amp as they sound so much nicer.

That's not really the right way to go about it in my opinion. You should look for an amp that does what you want. Now, if you are interested in an amp for it's clean tone, that's different. But I doubt that's the case, because the Blackstar isn't an amp known for it's clean channel, and the bands you listed are bands that use a good amount of distortion.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by MutantWombat

Hm, maybe you should spend some more time with the Vypyr. The Vypyr doesn't have a "red channel", it has 12 amp models, which all have red modes, as well as green modes.

The DS-1 certainly isn't doing you any favors, putting that clipping on top of the SS Vypyr clipping through an 8" speaker... you're gonna have a bad time.

Take the pedal out of the picture - sit down with your amp, really take some time with it, and see what you can dial in.

If you have any questions about it at all, ask me or 311, another user on here. He has the Vypyr Tube 60 model, I have owned the 15W, 75W, and currently own the Tube 120H model. Between us we have pretty extensive knowledge about these amps.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by MutantWombat

the ht5 is hybrid, not all-tube.

just to point out.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Then could you recommend a all tube amp suitable for my needs, I have a budget of about £350? thanks
Check out a Jet City amp, that should be geared towards the tones you're looking to get. Not enough headroom to gig, but the HT5 wouldn't have enough either.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - Stock Eminence Legend
Peavey Ultra Plus 120 Watt Head
Rivera R412T - Loaded with Celestion V30s
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
yeah jet city is a good call. thomann does them, and there's a new official (i think) jet city site in the UK which has the heads at good value, too.

http://www.jetcityamplificationstore.co.uk/product-category/heads/ (for some reason the heads are a lot better value than the combos... and thomann rarely ever has the combos in stock ) EDIT: and the 50 watter should have plenty of headroom, the 50 watt head is only slightly more than the 20 watt head.

You'd need a cab too, of course... a good one would bump you up to about £400. You can get cabs with mediocre speakers for £100, but considering how good value the harley benton g212 vintage is on thomann (which already has good speakers), unless you're already struggling to get to £350, there's probably not much point. You're getting £150 worth (at new retail prices) of (suitable and good) speakers for an extra £50.

if you can stretch a bit (~£100 or so), thomann does the traynor ycv50b which would also be worth considering- a bit lower in gain than the jet cities, but better for the lower gain tones.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 28, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah jet city is a good call. thomann does them, and there's a new official (i think) jet city site in the UK which has the heads at good value, too.

http://www.jetcityamplificationstore.co.uk/product-category/heads/ (for some reason the heads are a lot better value than the combos... and thomann rarely ever has the combos in stock ) EDIT: and the 50 watter should have plenty of headroom, the 50 watt head is only slightly more than the 20 watt head.

You'd need a cab too, of course... a good one would bump you up to about £400. You can get cabs with mediocre speakers for £100, but considering how good value the harley benton g212 vintage is on thomann (which already has good speakers), unless you're already struggling to get to £350, there's probably not much point. You're getting £150 worth (at new retail prices) of (suitable and good) speakers for an extra £50.

if you can stretch a bit (~£100 or so), thomann does the traynor ycv50b which would also be worth considering- a bit lower in gain than the jet cities, but better for the lower gain tones.

Agreed on all this. Had no idea the 50 watt head was so close in price to the 20 watter. The Harley Benton 2x12 is the best value you can get, seeing how it has Celestion V30s in it for such a low price. Both of these will run you around £400 before shipping, which isn't that much more, and you'll get much better tone than with a Vypyr.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - Stock Eminence Legend
Peavey Ultra Plus 120 Watt Head
Rivera R412T - Loaded with Celestion V30s
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
^ yeah i mean if he buys from thomann and he's in the UK (I assume he is since he used £s), shipping will be free. From what I hear, shipping from that jet city site is pretty low, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah Jet City isn't widely available in many UK dealers, or atleast none near me, any others spring to mind?
For 350 pounds you could nab a Peavey Classic 30 used easily. I have a classic 50 and I like its OD channel. You could use your dirt channel on this amp or a similar amp... and even add an OD pedal to push it a little harder if you need to.

That is what I do, my tone stages go:

Clean
Clean plus OD for some light crunch
Amp's gain channel for heavier crunch
Amp's gain channel plus OD to push it harder

If you nab the right amp, an amp with a dirt channel you like, it opens up a lot more tone options for you.
^This sounds like a pretty good plan to me. I have not bought a new tube amp in a long time, so I can't comment there, but I can recommend a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde for the OD pedal. The overdrive sound is like a Tubescreamer, but on top of a solid 808 sound, you get a really nice bass boosted option, and the distortion side is great too.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by MutantWombat
Yeah Jet City isn't widely available in many UK dealers, or atleast none near me, any others spring to mind?

not that i'm aware of, unfortunately. I think the reason jet city started that UK online store is that there were no dealers. You may find an odd shop that used to be a dealer that still has stock if you're lucky, i suppose (or find one second hand in a shop).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?