What the hell is with all these similar products? It's so frustrating trying to figure out which one is a cheap knockoff and which is a mediocre mirror copy, or which is the best.

I have a Schecter Solo-6 FR Limited with a (I think) 1000 Series FR installed. It feels cheap and the tremolo arm is quite loose, although I've tightened the screw cap. It doesn't stay in tune 100% all the time and I've spent countless hours tweaking the springs and and whatnot.

It's better than it was before I set it up, but it's still not as good as I'd like it to be.
It's time for an upgrade!

But what should I get? I like the look and feel and performance of Floyd Rose style tremolos, but I'm not sure on which model to get and from which company. Any suggestions or tips?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Mike
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Schaller has always made the OFR for Floyd Rose, and also makes their own licensed, branded copy of the Floyd Rose design. They differ in construction (baseplate thickness, material, lock screw length, etc) but will both fit in place of a Special. The 1000 series is made in Korea to similar specs as the OFR. You can't go wrong between Schaller and the OFR.

Oh, and Gotoh makes a copy that is supposed to be as good as the OFR. They're made in Japan, and will also fit in place of the Special.
Last edited by 4FunandProphet at Aug 27, 2013,
^ the studs on the gotoh might be a slightly different size. I have a vague recollection that the studs on the gotoh are like 1mm bigger. The routing templates are on the respective companies' websites, so you can check to be sure.

Also schaller now has the lockmeister trem- as far as i'm aware, it's a straight clone of the OFR, just with the schaller branded stamp on it. In europe, it's a *lot* cheaper than an OFR. Not sure about canada.

EDIT: it's worth pointing out that the trem arm can get loose on an OFR (and presumably schaller) too. The gotoh is better in that regard. However, it doesn't feel exactly the same as an OFR, either, so it's really your call.

Also I hear people use ptfe (something like that ) tape to help with loose trem arms. Might be a lot cheaper than getting a whole new trem if that's the only thing that's annoying you
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 27, 2013,
Alright so I've taken a look at the Floyd Rose brand Titanium model, and a couple Schaller models. I don't understand anything on the site because I don't understand German.

Which would be best? Would there be a real difference?

"Ultimate Titanium", "Lockmeister", or "Schaller Tremolo"?

EDIT: And no, the trem arm being loose isn't my only issue. The staying in tune aspect is the main issue, I deal with the trem arm.
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Last edited by Fryer Mike at Aug 27, 2013,
well the titanium one costs about as much as the national debt, so i'd probably pass on that one. None of the artists associated with floyd roses used a titanium model on their classic recordings. Does that mean the titanium model is pointless? Not necessarily, but I'd query the need to spend ridiculous amounts of money for something that the guys you're trying to copy didn't use.

there should be an option to set the schaller site in english. A little union jack flag in the top right corner.

Compare the prices of the OFR, schaller, schaller lockmeister and Gotoh. Once you've done that, then you can start to decide. Odds are one will be cheaper than the others.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Does that mean the titanium model is pointless? Not necessarily, but I'd query the need to spend ridiculous amounts of money for something that the guys you're trying to copy didn't use.

there should be an option to set the schaller site in english. A little union jack flag in the top right corner.

I do agree that the price is ridiculous. And don't assume too much, I get a little offended when someone thinks I'm trying to copy someone.

Also I gave that a shot and encountered a "server error" or whatever, which is fine I have a German friend who might translate necessary info for me.

Thanks for the help, I'll do some more research.
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
In the Beginning:

There was the Schaller (German) trem and it was the Original Floyd Rose and that's all that Floyd sold. Everything else was a licensed (or at least had it stamped on the base plate) trem

Later, Floyd decided that some of the Korean Licensed trems were good enough, and so it began to produce Original Floyd Rose trems on two production lines in Korea (that were also making licensed floyd rose trems at the same time on the same lines with only the stamping different). So now there were TWO Original Floyd Rose trems -- the Korean versions, which went to the large manufacturers such as Fender and Gibson, and the German version, which went to micro-manufacturers and went into bubble packs for direct sales to consumers.

Since the patent ran out, Floyd Rose now sells the German Schaller-made Floyd Rose, which they've elected to call the Floyd Rose Original (important to note that the "Original" now goes last, which makes them FROs instead of OFRs). This is still marketed direct to consumers in bubble packs and to tiny manufacturers.

They also sell the same Korean version that used to be an OFR as the Floyd Rose 1000 Series, and that one STILL goes to the big OEM manufacturers.

And then they sell the Floyd Rose Special, which is essentially a "licensed" Floyd Rose, but now sold officially by Floyd Rose.

There's also the low profile, the titanium version, the speed loader, the 7-string version and the fixed bridge with microtuners, and where they're manufactured (except for the titanium version) is up for grabs. Suffice it to say that nothing is actually built by Floyd Rose.

Quite a few people have simply thrown up their hands and gone for the Gotoh version that has nothing to do with Floyd Rose or AP International.
Just an FYI I've actually had better luck staying in tune with Floyd Rose 1000 trems over the German OFR. Not saying ones better than the other, just my experience. I think you should be able to tighten the trem arm from the bottom with an allen key
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Last edited by RCA1186 at Aug 27, 2013,
FWIW, I've always found Gotoh hardware to be really excellent. I'd take a Gotoh over an OFR or a Schaller if given a choice (and similar enough price).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Fryer Mike
(a) I do agree that the price is ridiculous. (b) And don't assume too much, I get a little offended when someone thinks I'm trying to copy someone.

(c) Also I gave that a shot and encountered a "server error" or whatever, which is fine I have a German friend who might translate necessary info for me.

Thanks for the help, I'll do some more research.

(a) yeah

(b) I didn't mean that as a bad thing. I meant it more "if it's good enough for vai/satriani/evh etc." considering all the tricks they do...

(c) try this:

http://schaller-electronic.com/auctores/scs/imc/fdInf_ID=CY1a095db2X11b06fd4252XY7114=l=96646193/Startseite.htm?ITServ=C71842826X140c18245cbXY70be

that's the link i get when i click on the union jack

there might be something up with your computer/compatibility too, as mine works fine when i click the union jack
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?