So my band's drummer is having problems working on double bass, and is confused as to how he should be depressing the pedal.

Below is an image with the two techniques he is using shown, forgive my rudimentary paint skills.

He can do 120bpm in 16ths but finds it impossible to do more with the first technique, whereas with the second he can manage 100, and above 200, consistently but nothing in between with any sort of consistency whatsoever.

Suggestions as to what he might be doing wrong? Not being a drummer, I honestly have no idea
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Aug 27, 2013,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
So my band's drummer is having problems working on double bass, and is confused as to how he should be depressing the pedal.

Tell it some sad stories?

There's a tonne of videos on Youtube with tips and techniques on this sort of stuff, but mostly it comes with practice, practice and more practice
Have him look up Jared Falk's bass drum lessons. He will show the two main ways of playing the bass drum, heel-up and heel-down. As well as the slide and heel-toe technique most employ.

Most metal drummers play heel-up. But many, I can think of Chris Adler for example, use heel-toe when they need the extra speed.

Practice is obviously important, but knowing what, and how to practice is equally important.