Page 1 of 2
Have you guys heard of these or been doing them? It's basically where you watch a video of the lecture at home and then do all the work in class. My school is pushing it, along with a whole bunch of technological stuff (blogging, tweeting for assignments) and I don't like it.

Would you like a flipped classroom? Yay or nay
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
wat, why.

that'll just lower the education cos quite a few won't watch the lectures
skool's 4 tools.

sounds ok to me for certain classes.

i always had trouble with certain math things though unless i had a good teacher to explain it well.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
i wouldnt mind watching a taped lecture, and doing the work at class. but id rather just watch the lecture AND do the work at home to be honest.
It's stupid.

If you have a question 2 minutes into the video, instead of asking about it, you sit and watch the rest of the 45 minute lecture without knowing what you're doing. Lectures should be lectures, and then if you have homework questions, there's recitations or office hours.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
That actually sounds good. I'd rather watch I lecture I could rewind and then do work I can ask questions about in class instead of doing it the other way around.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
skool's 4 tools.

sounds ok to me for certain classes.

i always had trouble with certain math things though unless i had a good teacher to explain it well.

This is for college algebra which is the worst class for it imo

Quote by soundgarden1986
i wouldnt mind watching a taped lecture, and doing the work at class. but id rather just watch the lecture AND do the work at home to be honest.

Right? I never had to do work outside of her class last year and I did just fine. Seems pointless to me. Then there's the fact that she's only one person in a big class, so helping everyone and answering questions is gonna be rough. Also that not everyone is gonna have a stable internet connection and kids fortunate enough to have smartphones are at an enormous advantage.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
This is for college algebra which is the worst class for it imo

then that is an awful idea. pre-algebra and algebra 2 in middle/high school were hard enough for me with the shit teachers i had who would just write formulas on the board and say "okay, now take this quiz"

i can't imagine i'd do all that well watching a video (about math especially) and be able to come to class the next day and have a clue what i was doing.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Yeah I do it sometimes and it has worked well.

The trick is to pick an interesting, short clip (I use someone else talking/teaching as kids are probably bored of me) and to do it with a class who are sensible, then guilt them into doing the homework (watching the clips).

It is worth it in terms of the consolidation you can do in-lesson though.
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Aug 27, 2013,
This sounds completely stupid for any technical course. If it's history or English or whatever, fine, nobody cares. But math, physics, chemistry etc. no way that would be terrible.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yeah I do it sometimes and it has worked well.

The trick is to pick an interesting, short clip (I use someone else talking/teaching as kids are probably bored of me) and to do it with a class who are sensible, then guilt them into doing the work.

It is worth it in terms of the consolidation you can do in-lesson though.

These are her videos of her just teaching it and it's gonna be nearly every class.
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
These are her videos of her just teaching it and it's gonna be nearly every class.

jesus christ it gets worse.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

What will you be doing in lesson?

The main principle behind this is that the most important part of learning is the consolidation you do in your own time. A lot of people don't bother with this and struggle to remember or conceptualise content.

Flipping it so you do this key consolidation bit in lessons is actually helpful. You would have to listen to her lectures anyway if she wasn't flipping it.

I will say, it's a bit of a gimmicky thing that a lot of educators do wrong though. And once you've spent all your free time making the videos, if you get a sense that it isn't working you are a bit stuck with it.
Terrible idea, IMO.

Speaking from a personal standpoint, I would fail every class taught like this. I'm not stupid, but that's not how I learn things.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
What will you be doing in lesson?

You mean while we're physically in her class? I guess just worksheets and whatever would have been homework. But so far all we've done is set up twitter and blog stuff which I also don't care for.
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
*Goes to school for 8 hours*

*goes home to educate self for 8 hours*

Thank god i'm an adult.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
You mean while we're physically in her class? I guess just worksheets and whatever would have been homework. But so far all we've done is set up twitter and blog stuff which I also don't care for.

Well, let me know once you've been to a few because its successfully leading these sessions that leads to success of flipped classrooms.

When I do it I put students in ability groups and give them lateral discussion questions based on the topic so they can talk about and apply what they've learnt. This works well because I teach a discursive subject and because it shames the lazy into actually doing the flipped pre-learning required for the lesson.
This sounds like it could have its merits. For me personally, I'd rather watch clips than do the actual thinking myself at home. Also, students have to come into class anyway, and it's easier to force them onto assignments there. My secondary school classes usually consisted of 60-70% shushing people, answering homework questions and other non-lecturing stuff, so this seems more focused.
Well last year I had the same teacher and I managed to get everything done (including the homework we got almost every class) and understood just fine in the same amount of time. I just don't see the benefit. It'd be amazing if it were normal classes but she still had the online lessons but maybe that wouldn't be worth taking the time to do the videos for.

The thing is what MistressIbanez said about struggling to remember what to do wasn't really a problem as we went through note packets with her which we kept. That way we'd have all the correct info and notes in front of us whenever we needed them.
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
My chemistry lecturer did this, and it was the most enjoyable set of lectures I ever had. Just so much fun, I learned so much, it was very good.

Worked for me at least, especially in the case of "drier" lecture material.
I feel like I would really like this

But mostly because I would never watch the lectures....

But I never pay attention to lectures anyway and still get A's, so it would be all good!!
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
My precalc teacher did this last semester and it was honestly one of the easiest math classes I've ever taken. All we had to do was watch mostly Khan Academy and PatrickJMT videos and take notes on them and then we did all the problems in class. I liked it a lot because if I had any questions when I was doing the problems my teacher was always there so I could ask him.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 string
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Yamaha YDP161 Arius Digital Piano
Haven't heard of that, but I picked classes where you wouldn't find that. There are websites and stuff I have to do for AP Spanish and English, but that's about it.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Heard a lot about this. I think it's a brilliant concept if executed correctly, and with tools like the Khan Academy it's shown some promising results, but only time will tell how well it works in a more broad application.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Have you guys heard of these or been doing them? It's basically where you watch a video of the lecture at home and then do all the work in class. My school is pushing it, along with a whole bunch of technological stuff (blogging, tweeting for assignments) and I don't like it.

I'm not surprised that liberals would try to push the homosexual agenda this way.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
if you guys argue about this remember, people learn differently. they should offer it to those who will benefit and let those who like standard classes have just that.
But she's the only one that teaches this class at all

Seriously considering switching to pre-cal. I'd be okay if it was just this but it's that on top of probably the worst group of students imaginable. They (literally all but like 6 kids) never stop being obnoxious and she just laughs it off
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Everyone learns differently. Schools should offer as many different ways of learning as they can, and let students pick what works best for them. Obviously that is never going to happen.

At the same time you will always find people who try to cheat their way through the system without actually doing any work.
So one time I took an online course at university, where we would watch the professor on webcam online and then email our papers to him etc. And wouldn't you know it was smoking a big bowl of weed and drinking beer right in the middle of class! I got a B.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Honestly I would love it if I could download my classes, never having to go into an actual school except if it were like chemistry or something, and even then having lectures recorded. Like that would be the tits.
Quote by Nelshizzle
*Goes to school for 8 hours*

*goes home to educate self for 8 hours*

Thank god i'm an adult.

Ok so i've been away for a few months, and just confirm, are you no longer a mod or did you went undercover?
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Quote by Spaztikko
Honestly I would love it if I could download my classes, never having to go into an actual school except if it were like chemistry or something, and even then having lectures recorded. Like that would be the tits.

I've had this for one or two first year classes where the profs facilitated it on their own. It was actually fairly helpful, but I suppose the classes were for the most part not all that difficult on their own.
Quote by Avedas
I've had this for one or two first year classes where the profs facilitated it on their own. It was actually fairly helpful, but I suppose the classes were for the most part not all that difficult on their own.

My business class this year for AS is essentially the teacher being an aspie and reading c&p'd notes from our textbook.

Id take anything over my current slew of shit teachers. I have 7 periods a day and I'm asleep for at least 2 of those
Quote by Spaztikko
My business class this year for AS is essentially the teacher being an aspie and reading c&p'd notes from our textbook.

Id take anything over my current slew of shit teachers. I have 7 periods a day and I'm asleep for at least 2 of those

Last fall semester I skipped almost every single lecture in October and November because my profs were so shitty. I only showed up to midterms. Unfortunately, they weren't exactly easy classes and it was my lowest performing semester to date.
Quote by adamgur96
Ok so i've been away for a few months, and just confirm, are you no longer a mod or did you went undercover?

Undercover for the bitches.

Gotta find da hoes n their secret hoequarters
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Putting videos or the slides of a lecture online is a great thing, especially if you, for whatever reason, couldn't attend the lecture. Sure, it's not as good as actually being there, but it's a great alternative for people who can't physically attend, for whatever reasons.

But this is university, I have no idea what it'd be like in a grade school setting.
This sounds like what I do lol. If I can't wake up in time for a lecture no worries cuz most of them are webcasted. So I really don't need to go to any of my lectures but I do need to go to tutorials where we do group projects and stuff.

It's pretty good
cat
Page 1 of 2