Hey guys,

I'll try to make this short and sweet! I'm mainly a rhythm guitarist who likes to dabble in lead guitar every now and then, so I'd say my playing is 70-75% rhythm, and 25-30% lead. I've been playing for about a little under 8 years now, and looking to buy a new electric! I mostly play metal/hard rock, with the occasional alternative every once in a while. Also, most of my playing is on drop D and drop C, again with the frequent standard.

Budget - About 275 - 300 CAD (tight budget, I know :/ ...MIGHT be able to push it up to 325 or 350, but would prefer not to).

Favorite artists/tones - Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, Bring Me The Horizon, Trivium, Trapt (clean tones), Times of Grace.

Pickups - Not leaning towards any specific types/brands of pickups because of my budget, so I'm pretty flexible here. But I would appreciate pickups that put out good pinch harmonics.

New/Used - Would highly prefer new, but if the deal is good enough, I'm good with used!

Location - Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Current Gear - Zoom G2.1u pedal that plays into Sennheiser headphones, haven't owned a decent amp in ages (don't really need one, usually only use amps at friends' places or live, in which case they're provided). I have a shitty Yamaha guitar I bought a lifetime ago and have used for a while.

These are my criteria/preferences:

1.) Like I said before, I'm not picky about pickups since my budget is tight, but I do like to have nice and clear pinch harmonics.

2.) I know there quite a few types of bridges out there. Like I said, I have a real old Yamaha with a standard/stock bridge, and kinda got used to palm-muting on that. Heard palm-muting can be a bitch on other types of bridges, so any tips on palm-muting on say a ZR or Edge III bridge? Also I don't want to have to spend 2 hours to change the tuning from standard to drop D or drop C etc.

3.) I'm looking for a guitar that can withstand detuning during whammy bar usage (hence the ZR or Edge III mention above). Doesn't have to stay perfectly in tune but I'm talking relative here.

P.S: Brands I'm open to - Ibanez, Schecter, Washburn, Dean, Jackson, Carvin, Fender, BC Rich, Peavey, ESP/LTD.

Sorry for the long post guys, hope any of you can help! Thanks
Last edited by lp026713389 at Aug 28, 2013,
Hmm...the Godin Redline HB is a hardtail, so there wouldn't be any trem issues...or fun. A Superstrat body made in Canada, fairly hot pickups and a neck made for shredding. New, they run $499 USD, so you should be able to find a used one in your price range.
http://godinguitars.com/godinredlinehbp.htm

Fernandes sells some of its guitars directly from its websites, including some of its entry level stuff- the Revolver X might be to your liking and is slightly more than your price range new.
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/revolver/31-revolver-x.html

Of the brands you actually mentioned...I own a couple of Deans that I love, but I wouldn't touch one under $500 (new). In that price range, you're better off with Ibanez.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 28, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
In that price range, you're better off with Ibanez.

Thanks for the reply man, any chance you have any Ibanez model suggestions? I'll check out the guitars you mentioned, thanks again!
I'm not an Ibanez man, myself: the closest I've come to buying one was an Artcore semihollow with a Bigsby a decade ago. Great guitar, but not what I was looking for at the time. And not what you're looking for right now.

But I know their quality in the sub-$500 price range is seldom equalled.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I essentially just stumbled on this: I was looking at the website of a store I know that I haven't visited in months, and there it was.

http://www.guitarasaur.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=75&product_id=3386

That's the Godin Redline III- same basic idea, construction and quality as the Redline HB, but with EMGs and a Floyd Rose. Usually, these are @$750-890 new, but that one is a factory second due to a finish blemish.

Yeah, it's a little above your budget, but it's a steal!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 28, 2013,
^
Buy that, TS! Buy it now! You'll thank yourself later, trust me.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 28, 2013,
Hey lp.
Do you not live close to a guitar store? I find it's always best to try before you buy.

As good as Ibanez are for quality I think you'd be better off at least trying one.
I tried the RG series and really didn't like them, a few people I know were unhappy with the shape of the neck.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Looks like you've been playing for a while. I suggest you take the money you have now and set it aside where you wont spend it. Save up some more and get a higher quality axe later on. At that price point you're in the entry level gear, unless you come across an amazing used deal somewhere.
ZR is great bridge, Edge III is shit. If you change tunings a lot, maybe a fixed bridge would be better for you.
Quote by JackovSlayer
If you change tunings a lot, maybe a fixed bridge would be better for you.

That is true.