ok so the song I am trying to learn (god knows - aya hirano) has this bit in the intro that has been really giving me trouble now for awhile. it goes like this

| |--3--| |--3--| |--3--| |---3---|
| S S S S S S S S S S S
|-16-14-12----------16-14-12--|
|----------16-14-12---------------|
|------------------------------------|

it repeats this pattern for awhile (i bar 12th fret with my finger while using the other 2 to do the pull off bit at 14 and 16th frets)

The issue I am having is that the sound comes out muddy or I struggle to keep the first string held down tight enough to get a clean sound or I end up pulling down the strings in the process of playing the part several times causing the sound to fall off (along with the string off the fret board )

Here is a video example of the part

I can play the rest of the intro fine and doing the part on just the one string is easy, but the moment I have to bar two strings on the 12th fret everything falls apart. I can seem to pull off the movement on lower frets.

Any assistance on how I can improve my technique or anything I could do to improve my practice of this part of the song would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Also if you need me to I can elaborate more on anything.
Quote by Blicer
it repeats this pattern for awhile (i bar 12th fret with my finger while using the other 2 to do the pull off bit at 14 and 16th frets

Don't do that. It's terrible technique for this kind of part. It's a little more work to move your index finger from one string to another in one way but it's much easier to hold down one string at a time and move your index finger than it is to barre and mute that much.

Aside from that the only answers you'll get are ones you can find in almost any thread on this forum.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Don't do that. It's terrible technique for this kind of part. It's a little more work to move your index finger from one string to another in one way but it's much easier to hold down one string at a time and move your index finger than it is to barre and mute that much.

Aside from that the only answers you'll get are ones you can find in almost any thread on this forum.

so I should pull off 16 14 and hold 12 mute move up a string repeat bouncing back and forth.

Ill give that a go. Thank you zaphod
yeah I wouldn't barre those.

Make sure you keep your fingers arched, so the pull-offs are with the very tip of the finger. The pull-off motion should be similar to curling your finger into the palm.