Hi all. This is my 4th year playing, and I'm currently using an Ibanez S570dxqm through a Fender Frontman 25R. My problem is that I hate the sound coming through my amp. I've tried fiddling with settings, but I'm not happy with the sound at all. I play almost exclusively Metallica, with a little bit of iron Maiden, Foo fighters and Jimi Hendrix thrown in. I just play in my bedroom, no live performances except at the school talent shows. I have a budget of $500, but I really don't know if I should spend it on new pickups, because of the bad stock pickups, a new amp, or an effects pedal. Any help would be really appreciated, thanks in advance.
A better amp is always the best place to start.

For a metal practice amp Peavey Vypyr is usually the main recommendation.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
A better amp is always the best place to start.

agreed. especially when you already have a decent guitar.

Now, ibanez stock pickups aren't great and once you have a good amp you may well want to upgrade the pickups too. But yeah, amp first. Preferably tube if you don't have to play at whisper volume all the time.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks a lot guys, I'll have a look at the Peavey amp. Just wondering, what is a tube amp? Are they the really short and long ones, or just a different way the amps are made?
No relation to the shape, tube amps use valves to amplify your signal, unlike solid state amps which use transistors. Both come in "head" form, which is the short and long ones you mentioned.

It'd be worth looking at Blackstar as well as Peavey, they make some nice amps. The HT5 would do you well. If you're concerned about "true" valve tone you might look at an HT20 instead, though that will be loud!
Quote by tim_mop
No relation to the shape, tube amps use valves to amplify your signal, unlike solid state amps which use transistors. Both come in "head" form, which is the short and long ones you mentioned.

It'd be worth looking at Blackstar as well as Peavey, they make some nice amps. The HT5 would do you well. If you're concerned about "true" valve tone you might look at an HT20 instead, though that will be loud!

Awesome, thanks a lot. I'll definitely have a look at the BlackStar amps as well, pretty sure I saw some in my local music shop. Don't need anything too loud, so I think the HT-5 will be fine. Cheers everyone
if you're concerned about "true valve tone" it'd probably make more sense to step away from the blackstar HT series since they're hybrids
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if you're concerned about "true valve tone" it'd probably make more sense to step away from the blackstar HT series since they're hybrids

This.

HT 5 doesnt do metal.

Yeah i said it.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
if that is true (I still haven't tried one ), that's kinda hilarious

"we need to add SS guff so we can do teh brootz on a budget"

"shouldn't we make sure it can actually do teh brootz?"

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Your current guitar is actually rather good and the most lacking thing in your setup is definitely the amplifier. Buy a new amp, and at $500 make it a valve/tube amp. Amps can generally be split into two categories: tube and solid state. Although tone is a subjective topic, I and many others on this forum would recommend you buy a fully tube amplifier to make the best improvement to your sound. Just know that not all amps are equal and sound quality > loudness .
If anything I'd recommend checking out

- a used Peavey JSX combo (probably tough to find for <$500)

- a Peavey Ultra Combo (Guitarcenter.com has a used one for $219),

- a Peavey XXX Combo. (Guitarcenter.com has one for 399.99)

These are all pretty damn versatile with 3 channels, good cleans, lower gain crunch channel, and a ultra channel for EXTRA high gain stuff. All of these are tube as well.

Any of these would give you an amazing boost in tone quality over the Frontman 25r.

Did you want to stick with a combo amp, or a half stack? All the amps I've mentioned are available in a head version too.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - Stock Eminence Legend
Peavey Ultra Plus 120 Watt Head
Rivera R412T - Loaded with Celestion V30s
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4