I'm currently not using any effects on my bass, and my amp isn't getting anywhere near the sound I want. I'm playing on a Krate amp with a Hartke cab. The amp is eh, but the cab sounds pretty good. The best example of the sound I want is this video: /watch?v=HCp8vE1ZT0g (won't let me post full youtube link for some reason, just paste this after "youtube.com")
I'm quite new to playing bass in a band, and I have no idea where to even begin with effects pedals. We play deathcore with some technical death metal feeling bits here and there. When recording, we used a Line 6 hd500 pod and got a pretty nice bass tone (we also had some fancy bass plugins on our recording computer to fine tune the sound.) I figured maybe I should invest in something similar to that pedal if I want to pull off those tones. Any tips would be appreciated.
SansAmp Bass driver is all you'll ever need, really.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is on the money for recording. The Sansamp is good stuff.

But I've had great fun with a Pod XT Bass. Yeah, they made a Pod specifically for bass, and I love it.

Bass POD® xt Features

* Discrete Processed & DI Outputs
* +4dBu / -10dBV balanced 1/4 Inch Outputs
* 24-bit A/D and D/A Converters
* MIDI In, Out/Thru
* RJ-45 Foot Controller Connector
* USB Connector for Digital I/O
* Headphone Output
* Bass Input

Bass PODxt Amp Models based on*:

* Acoustic 360
* Aguilar® DB750
* Alembic F-2B
* Ampeg® B-15A
* Ampeg® SVT
* Eden Traveller WT-300
* Fender® Bassman®
* Fender® Dual Showman®
* Gallien Kruger 800RB
* Hiwatt® DR-103
* Hiwatt® 200 DR
* Marshall® Major
* Marshall® Plexi Super Bass
* Mesa/Boogie® 400+
* Polytone Mini-Brute
* Sunn® Coliseum
* SWR® SM-500
* Vox® AC100
* Line 6 Original - Line 6 Tube Preamp
* Line 6 Original - Line 6 Sub Dub
* And six more!

Bass PODxt Cabinet Models based on*:

* 1x12 Euphonics® CXL-112L
* 1x12 Versatone® Pan-O-Flex
* 1x15 Ampeg® B-15
* 1x15 SWR® Big Ben
* 1x15 Polytone® Minibrute
* 1x18 Acoustic 360
* 1x18 Mesa/Boogie®
* 1x18 + 12 Sunn® Coliseum
* 2x10 Ashdown® ABM 210T
* 2x15 Fender® Dual Showman® D130F
* 2x15 Mesa/Boogie®
* 2x15 Vox® AC-100
* 4x10 Line 6 Original
* 4x10 Fender® Bassman® Combo w/ new speakers
* 4x10 Fender® Bassman® Combo
* 4x10 Fender® Hartke® 410
* 4x10 Fender® David Eden
* 4x12 Hiwatt® Bass Cab
* 4x12 1967 Marshall® Basketweave w/ Greenbacks
* 4x12 1968 Marshall® Basketweave w/ Greenbacks
* 4x15 Marshall® Major
* 8x10 Ampeg® SVT Cab

Bass PODxt Microphone Models based on*:

* Neumann® U47 - close mic'd
* Neumann® U47 - distant mic'd
* AKG® D-112
* EV® RE-20

You can use this thing several ways; you can plug direct into the PA board (if your PA supports bottom end <G> or you can run it into a power amp and from there to fairly full-range bass cabinets. I've found a pair of fEARless F115s or fEARful 15/6/1s to be ideal when paired with a Carvin HD1500, but you can use anything down to and including headphones and/or recording monitors.

You SHOULD be able to find these fairly cheap; they were discontinued. I found one for $75 at a GC.
Another alternative is the Darkglass B7K, it is supposedly amazing, but I'm pretty happy with my SansAmp RBI rackmount into my GK 1001RB-II, not to mention the B7K has a pretty steep price and not as many features as similar rack units, which makes it hard for me to justify

In addition to the Bass Driver pedal, there's also the VT Bass, which I hear is really great, too. It's more of an overdriven Ampeg sound, though. The Bass Driver or B7K will be more aggressive.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely look into these. I neglected to mention that I'm planning on upgrading to a Hartke amp sometime in the near future. Although, I'm not sure this will change my choice in pedals.