Page 1 of 2
but they aren't here on a quest of domination. Rather, they are trying to expand their knowledge of the culture of the galaxy. They are friendly aliens.

They request samples of music, by bands that you think, on the whole, describe a certain genre's sound the best.

Of the following categories, which bands/artists would you tell the aliens to listen to in order to understand that respective genre the best?

Hip hop
Metal
Rock and roll
Jazz
Blues
Classical orchestra
Contemporary orchestra
Eastern musics
Electronic music (4 the h8rs)
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Aug 28, 2013,
I'd recommend them Opeth, that's it. Then I'd just tell them that they must have been misinformed, there's no such a thing as hip hop on Earth.
Make em listen to prog rock all that build up for nothing
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Skrellux
Fender MiM Strat
Fender MiM Tele
Gretsch Pro Jet
Blackstar HT40
Vox AC15
If they're really trying to expand their knowledge, they'd know better than to just ask one person.
Quote by MetalMullet
I'd recommend them Opeth, that's it. Then I'd just tell them that they must have been misinformed, there's no such a thing as hip hop on Earth.

Great thinking, that'll make them never come back.

Because Opeth are shit.
Quote by Trowzaa
Great thinking, that'll make them never come back.

Because Opeth are shit.

Hip Hop - Sims
Metal - In Flames
Rock and roll - Foo Fighters
Blues - Stevie Ray Vaughn/Clapton
Classical - Chopin
Eastern musics - Taiko Drums
Progressive rock/metal - Dead Letter Circus/Dream Theater
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Justin Bieber. Face it, humanity deserves to be destroyed and I'm sure that's exactly what will happen after they hear him
I'd give them a good dose of progressive for sur. Porcupine Tree, Opeth, BTBAM, Periphery, Tool, DT, etc...

Then maybe a bit a jazz fusion.
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Quote by Butt Rayge
I hate every one of you.

If all the rain drops were lemon drops and gum drops, kiss my ass, shitlord.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Wow lets hope the aliens don't run into any pit monkeys.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
The worst known bands for each genre.
The more you say 'epic' the less it means.
Quote by OneHappyCamper
Wow lets hope the aliens don't run into any pit monkeys.

lol fo sho, jesus christ
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Toni Loomi for everything.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
the most realistic answer to this question? My country would preemptively declare war on them before there was a chance for any type of cultural exchange.
Quote by Second Rate
the most realistic answer to this question? My country would preemptively declare war on them before there was a chance for any type of cultural exchange.

You clearly didn't read the question carefully.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Honestly, I'd just give them a copy of 10,000 Days, assuming they have ears that my ear buds will fit into or a decent sound system in their ballin' whip that they rode onto earth in/on)
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
I would tell them that John Frusciante has been waiting for them to take him home.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
Quote by theogonia777
Toni Loomi for everything.

Should we tell them about the collab works he did with Daryn Dimbog right before they both died?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Bands/artists in random order:
Bach, Pink Floyd, Tom Waits, Johnny Cash, Chopin, Louis Armstrong, Nine Inch Nails, Ennio Morricone, Vivaldi, Mozart, Beethoven, The Clash, Beatles, Frank Sinatra, Eminem, Charlie Parker, Art Tatum, more Waits, Queen, Elvis Presley, Bobby Darin, Rush etc.

In shorter words - most of iconic artists.

Vypor, Kudos for avatar.
The idea that we'd give them music from every niche of acoustic music and throw in one piece to cover every aspect of Electronic music is laughable and shows quite how unenlightened this forum of wood slinging fools is.
Time For Overgeneralization

Hip-hop / Rap - Eminem
Metal - Metallica
Rock And Roll - Led Zeppelin
Jazz - Weather Report
Blues - SRV
Classical Orchestra - Beethoven
Contemporary Orchestra - Erik Satie (If that counts)
Electronic Music - The Prodigy

However most likely aliens may want to just kill us and take our resources in which case i would send them Anaal Nathrakh and try scare them away.
Quote by eGraham

Quote by willT08
The idea that we'd give them music from every niche of acoustic music and throw in one piece to cover every aspect of Electronic music is laughable and shows quite how unenlightened this forum of wood slinging fools is.

>implying that half of those genres aren't more varied and expansive than Electronic music
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Aug 28, 2013,
American Football. But then they'll get sad and probably leave.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
The absolute racism in a vast collective of cultures and musical tradition being boiled down to the flippant "Eastern musics" is deplorable as well.
Night Birds.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by necrosis1193
Should we tell them about the collab works he did with Daryn Dimbog right before they both died?

That's just a myth. Toni Loomi never got that desperate.

Quote by josh999x
Time For Overgeneralization

Hip-hop / Rap - Eminem
Metal - Metallica
Rock And Roll - Led Zeppelin
Jazz - Weather Report
Blues - SRV
Classical Orchestra - Beethoven
Contemporary Orchestra - Erik Satie (If that counts)
Electronic Music - The Prodigy

However most likely aliens may want to just kill us and take our resources in which case i would send them Anaal Nathrakh and try scare them away.

No way. Those are almost all wrong.
Anyone not mentioning Stockhausen in their list is an absolute fool and I can't believe has any grasp of music whatsoever.
Hip hop - Wu Tang
Metal - Steel Panther
Rock and roll - Elvis, duh.
Jazz - Miles Davis
Blues - Robert Johnson
Classical orchestra - Bach
Contemporary orchestra - Zappa
Eastern musics - Doesn't matter
Electronic music (4 the h8rs) - Deadmau5
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Night Birds.

so far the only suggestion in this thread i'd support