I'm sure this could have gone somewhere that isn't the pit but yeah...

I posted this on the Reaper forums as well but it looks like a slow forum

First of all apologies if I get any terminology wrong and such, I'm fairly new to MIDI and to DAWs.

I've ordered a Digitech Whammy, which has a MIDI input facility that lets you use PC commands to change the mode in which it operates, CC0 to toggle the effect on/off, and CC11 to emulate the position of the expression pedal.

I've also got the TouchOSC app on my phone (http://hexler.net/software/touchosc-android) that lets me send PC and CC commands to Reaper via OSC (wireless). I've set it up and it appears to be working (if I hit "listen" on the preferences menu in Reaper it seems to respond as it should). The eventual idea is that I can use various buttons, sliders and XY pads on the app to control the Whammy in real time.

My question is this: how would I go about using the MIDI commands that are inputted in to Reaper, to control my pedal in real time? I haven't got a USB-MIDI cable yet but I can't seem to find any option on Reaper that will route the commands it's getting over OSC straight through a USB-MIDI cable.

tl;dr: how to output MIDI commands from OSC to USB-MIDI cable in real time?

Thanks in advance
that's not really what I was thinking, it's just that people in the pit are less focused on giving advice about MIDI software and more on trying to be funny
I'll post a response in a bit.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by LRCGUITAR
that's not really what I was thinking, it's just that people in the pit are less focused on giving advice about MIDI software and more on trying to be funny

I was actually serious
Someone's gonna give out to you.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I'll post a response in a bit.

If you haven't started already then don't, I think I can use another program to route MIDI input back out. But it might be helpful to understand how to do it in Reaper.
You should just be able to set up MIDI routing on the track so that it sees the phone as the input device that will control the pedal. However, when I tried using my phone as a MIDI controller over wifi, I had to use external software in addition to reaper to get it to work. It didn't really work that well, there was enough lag that it wasn't really usable.
I'm not really sure what Digitech Whammy is, but I can provide some general info.

If you are a beginner to MIDI concepts, TouchOSC may prove to be a little overwhelming. OSC (Open Sound Control) itself is a protocol system that is similar to but separate from MIDI. Some industry organizations are pushing for this to eventually overtake MIDI as the standard digital musical instruments control protocol.

But for now, OSC is out of reach for most people's needs. However, TouchOSC operates on OSC as the default, especially when you're designing your interface via TouchOSC Editor. You want to make sure that the parameters you set are in MIDI, not OSC.

The bigger issue regarding all of this is Reaper's communications to an external device. Regardless of TouchOSC, I'm not even sure that Reaper is able to SEND MIDI messages outside of itself, and I'm not familiar enough with Reaper to judge. I also don't think TouchOSC can directly interface with the Whammy device, since it requires a desktop client called TouchOSC Bridge to connect.

Although I can't solve the problem, you should compartmentalize this issue into several parts:

1. Understanding how TouchOSC actually works. Not just that it's sending messages that Reaper can confirm, but that those are valid MIDI messages that can be used.

2. Try to get Reaper to send messages to the Whammy without factoring in anything else.

3. If Reaper can do the above while also acting as an intermediary for a live MIDI input, then you should be able to control it with TouchOSC.

I'd ask Harmony-Central.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
thanks a lot guys, makes a lot more sense now. What I'm not understanding is how to make Reaper send the MIDI inputs that it's receiving, out through a USB connection as soon as it gets them.