Hello
I bought my very first tube amp about an hour agoand it's pretty good!
It just sounds more real, breathing than my cube 30x.
Now I know tube amps also are alot more fragile than a solid state modeling (which you can throw out your window and then plug in and play) so I was wondering how do I properly use it to make it last long?

For example is it ok to put a tube a whole day on standby, or is it bad to turn it on with the powerswitch every now and then?

Thanks in advance
Tube amps are not more fragile.

The circuits are much more robust, tubes may be made of glass but you can throw them at a wall without breaking them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8

EDIT: however, having said that, you should avoid leaving it on Standby for long periods, as this can lead to cathode poisoning (too many electrons in part of the tube). Also, if you have a standby switch, leave it off for 30 seconds when powering on, this prevents against cathode stripping (the opposite of poisoning, electrons getting stolen).

That should do you.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Last edited by GABarrie at Aug 28, 2013,
Just make a habit of turning the power switch on 30 seconds before the stand-by, and also turning the stand-by switch off 5 seconds before the power when you're done. The power-up is to let your valves (tubes) warm up and the power down is just to avoid any nasty pops that aren't exactly damaging, just good habit.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
yeah don't leave it on standby for ages as gordon said, that'll do more harm than good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a friend who swears against moving his whilst powered up. May be good advice too.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by ryanbwags
I have a friend who swears against moving his whilst powered up. May be good advice too.
Myth
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by GABarrie
Myth

Agreed.

Sorta like standby switches...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
And how about standing in front of a wall, hence covering the ventilation? I guess that's dangerous since the amp produces a lot of heat?
^ I haven't passed out yet standing next to a wall

seriously, though, yeah, ensuring they have some ventilation wouldn't hurt.

Quote by Arby911

Sorta like standby switches...

I swear I've seen standby switches before
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I swear I've seen standby switches before

I saw that I had left that opening, but figured that most of the folks that give advice here were mature enough to leave such an obvious target alone.

I forgot about you....sorry...

*The technical assclown part of me argues that you've seen filament preheat switches inconveniently labeled as standby switches, since as has been shown they aren't particularly useful for 'standby' operations... /rant
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Aug 28, 2013,
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?