Ok so i'm thinking about getting a pedal for my set up, the amp i use right now, doesn't give the "punch" that i'm looking for, it's too bright and warm, i'm looking for a dark and crunchy tone, mainly cos right now i seem to be in a metal phase, i just want to learn and play some Metal, mainly Metallica and Iron Maiden

Note: I know that i won't be able to get a tone that's the same as Metallica or what have you as i don't have their set up, but the tone coming from my amp is ok, the gain is good, and it's an OK metal sound but for me it's lacking punch

I know it's kinda hard to suggest things without a sound clip, but i have no decent recording equipment so i can't give a sound clip (just have a cheap logitech desktop microphone so ...

Amp: Roland 20XL
Guitar: Tokai SG with standard pick-ups

i don't have the money right now to buy a new amp or the knowledge and skill required for replacing the picku ps, so just looking into getting a dist pedal
probably won't sound good but budget?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
probably won't sound good but budget?

haven't really looked into budget, was gonna look at the products then look at my budget but i'm gonna say about £80, i'm not gigging
First of all, "bright" and "warm" are very different sounds in terms of describing tone, nearly opposites. More importantly, it's your amp that's the problem. Throwing an £80 pedal isn't going to improve anything.

What you need is a new amp. I'd suggest selling the 20XL and upgrading to an 80XL, as the 8" speaker in the 20 is what is lacking the punch I'd assume. The Cube range sounds way better than any Line 6 Spider, so don't bother with that route. But the Vypyr (non VIP) sound even better than that. Upgrading to a Vypyr with a 12" speaker or the 80XL version of what you have will surely sound better than the 20XL.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Isn't that amp a Cube? It should be able to get in the Metallica ballpark without breaking a sweat.

Don't get a distortion pedal to put through a modeling amp. It's a waste of money and time.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Isn't that amp a Cube? It should be able to get in the Metallica ballpark without breaking a sweat.

Don't get a distortion pedal to put through a modeling amp. It's a waste of money and time.

i can get a metallica ish tone, but i think it might be to mid heavy even when the mids have be scooped out
Quote by Lavatain
First of all, "bright" and "warm" are very different sounds in terms of describing tone, nearly opposites. More importantly, it's your amp that's the problem. Throwing an £80 pedal isn't going to improve anything.

What you need is a new amp. I'd suggest selling the 20XL and upgrading to an 80XL, as the 8" speaker in the 20 is what is lacking the punch I'd assume. The Cube range sounds way better than any Line 6 Spider, so don't bother with that route. But the Vypyr (non VIP) sound even better than that. Upgrading to a Vypyr with a 12" speaker or the 80XL version of what you have will surely sound better than the 20XL.

please read what i wrote: "i don't have the money right now to buy a new amp"

I know an amp upgrade would be best, but i just can't afford a new amp right now
Quote by Tcrumpen
i can get a metallica ish tone, but i think it might be to mid heavy even when the mids have be scooped out

Don't scoop your mids all the time. If you're playing some metallica that isn't from the first few albums, then fair enough, that's how they got their tone then. But most of the time you want your mids up as guitar is a mids instrument and is where the "punch" that you desire is delivered. The punch you're hearing on the scooped mids metallica albums are parts of studio trickery of laying multiple guitar tracks.

Quote by Tcrumpen
please read what i wrote: "i don't have the money right now to buy a new amp"

I know an amp upgrade would be best, but i just can't afford a new amp right now

I probably didn't make my key point prominent enough. Throwing an £80 pedal is not going to improve your tone at all. End of story. You're gonna have to save up. And sell your amp. And then buy an amp with bigger speakers that is going to be an upgrade. Throwing an £80 pedal is not going to improve your tone at all. I've been there and done that. I have a Boss MT-2 and ML-2, don't bother with it.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
yeah, the mids are scooped in post to allow the other instruments to poke through. compare the studio recordings to what they sound like live. there's a lot more punch and mids when they're playing live.

and i agree, getting a distortion pedal is a waste of money.