Budget: let's say around the $400 mark, just a rough estimate

New/Used: Used

Current Gear: This will be going into an Eleven Rack through the power amp of a JCM900 SL-X through a 412 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles and Splawn Small Blocks. I am currently playing on a cheap Douglas 7 string, I got it to mess around with but I am doing a lot of writing with it so I figure a small upgrade is in order.

Sounds I'm going for: I dig a lot of Born of Osiris, Periphery, BTBAM, Deftones, The Ghost Inside, American Me, etc. Pretty much really heavy stuff, so I'm looking for that type of axe.

I am partial to strat-style guitars, though something like the LTD Viper wouldn't be too bad. Also, fixed bridge would be preferred, don't really have a need or desire for a FR or Trem in general. I am not super fond of Ibanez guitars (this limits me some I realize).

Keep in mind that with this budget, I am just looking for a good, simple guitar that I could take out and gig, something along the lines of a 400 series LTD quality-wise.

Thanks guys, let me know whatever other info. you need!

EDIT: I should also say, I am not getting this guitar right away, so I appreciate any links you send me, but they are particularly useful to me as they most likely won't be there when I go to make my purchase.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Aug 28, 2013,
Look for a Ibby 7620 or 7621. It's the most your gonna get out of a 7 for around $400.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by yellowv
Look for a Ibby 7620 or 7621. It's the most your gonna get out of a 7 for around $400.

That actually looks pretty great for what I need, though as I mentioned I am not super keen on most Ibanezes, particularly the RGs.

What would you say is the most reasonable budget for getting a good gigging 7?
Might want to look at a Schecter Hellraiser C-7. You can find them used at $400. I found a couple on GC's website in the used section. You might want to check them out.
Rondo has a raft of them, and that includes a number of them with 27" and even 30" scales (probably a few multiscale -- fan fret -- guitars as well). There's a whole midrange of choices around $359 and then it takes a jump to around $700-800.

http://www.rondomusic.com/7string.html
They have a TOM string thru body bridge. And a carved top. So definitely not an RG feel. Active EMGs aswell. Which I've seen Tosin Abasi use. And Wikipedia says he's a "touring member" with Born Of Osiris. So they might give you the tone you're looking for. You should check one out.=) (Even if I'm not so keen on the name of a Hellraiser. That's the main reason I didn't buy one. And I ended up liking the 81/85 on the Damien Elite more anyways.)
Quote by GraceByDeath
They have a TOM string thru body bridge. And a carved top. So definitely not an RG feel. Active EMGs aswell. Which I've seen Tosin Abasi use. And Wikipedia says he's a "touring member" with Born Of Osiris. So they might give you the tone you're looking for. You should check one out.=) (Even if I'm not so keen on the name of a Hellraiser. That's the main reason I didn't buy one. And I ended up liking the 81/85 on the Damien Elite more anyways.)

I have tried the C-7, nice guitar. I would have to play one again to really get a good idea for it again, though all the abalone on those guitars can be a bit much

dspellman: As mentioned in the OP, I am playing a Douglas now, which was purchased from
Rondo. I am keeping them in mind during all this, but I want to make sure I find all my options.
Ehhh...I like all the abalone. lol. Fancy inlay is important man! Gives you that tone! (I'm kidding about the tone of course.) I've actually never played a 7 string. But I'm assuming value, and certain aspects of specs are the same deal as a 6 string. Hope you make a good choice.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I have tried the C-7, nice guitar. I would have to play one again to really get a good idea for it again, though all the abalone on those guitars can be a bit much

dspellman: As mentioned in the OP, I am playing a Douglas now, which was purchased from
Rondo. I am keeping them in mind during all this, but I want to make sure I find all my options.

Check out a Used LTD SC607B (27") and EMG 81-7s for a little bit more, if you're patient.

If you want Strat-style:

Quote by Ippon
Check out a Used LTD SC607B (27") and EMG 81-7s for a little bit more, if you're patient.

If you want Strat-style:

That Squier actually looks pretty slick, I was considering a Stagemaster but I didn't know if it would really be an improvement over what I have. The SC is a thought, I will have to very patient though, they are definitely on the upper end of what I would like to spend, honestly at what they cost I would probably opt for the Alex Wade LTD.

Anyone know if OLP ever did any seven string models? I am trying to think outside the box here, don't be afraid to recommend something a bit out there. How are those Blue Rock guitars I see all the time? MIK, set neck, but I'm skeptical of them.
Suppose I upped my budget to $600? Anyone have any new suggestions?
Quote by Ippon
Also, check out the LTD MH417, LTD H307, COW 7, and RC7.

Right on, thanks guys