what bass guitar for rock? or genre doesn't matter, a good bass is a good bass ?

u think this guitar is good enough?

[forbidden link]

if this is not good my budget is only 200 - 300$ and please recomended me for my bass guitar ..

i have experience how to play guitar some accoustic and plucking but bass guitar is my first time u think i can teach my self how to play bass guitar? or i really nid a teacher ( but i dont want to take a lesson ) do you think I should teach myself to play or would it be a waste of time??
I wish I could see what bass you're trying to show us :P

I'd say your best bet is either a Squier VM Precision, or a Squier VM Jazz. They run about 280-300. I played both of these last week, I'd recommend them highly for a first bass. Try them both out. They each feel very different. I love the way a Jazz feels in my hands, but I'm a big fan of the sound and look of a Precision.

And I actually switched from guitar to bass and haven't looked back. I played guitar for 6 years before switching. I've taught myself, as I don't have the time or money for a teacher. There's TONS of resources online.
Quote by Axle543
I wish I could see what bass you're trying to show us :P

I'd say your best bet is either a Squier VM Precision, or a Squier VM Jazz. They run about 280-300. I played both of these last week, I'd recommend them highly for a first bass. Try them both out. They each feel very different. I love the way a Jazz feels in my hands, but I'm a big fan of the sound and look of a Precision.

And I actually switched from guitar to bass and haven't looked back. I played guitar for 6 years before switching. I've taught myself, as I don't have the time or money for a teacher. There's TONS of resources online.

haha sorry about that here my bass guitar " Yamaha RBX Series RBX170 "

and w0w you teach your self how to play bass guitar? how?

ill just search if i can teach my self how to play bass guitar and a lot of people said i really really nid a teacher .. i dont know
A lot of the basic skills and theory that I've learned from guitar carried over to bass and made the transition easier than if I just picked up a bass without ever playing a guitar in my life. Bass is a completely different different instrument than guitar though. My biggest problem was, and still is, learning fingerstyle and improving my right hand technique.
Quote by Axle543
A lot of the basic skills and theory that I've learned from guitar carried over to bass and made the transition easier than if I just picked up a bass without ever playing a guitar in my life. Bass is a completely different different instrument than guitar though. My biggest problem was, and still is, learning fingerstyle and improving my right hand technique.

ohh i see .. thank men and i have question men

on guitar have basic chords,minor chords and power chords how about on bass and slap i dont know what they call it ?
Last edited by lesna02 at Aug 28, 2013,
Well since your budget is around the same size I would recommend getting a VM (Vintage Modified) Jazz Bass. Much more versatile than a P Bass. Though that's not to say that P Basses are bad, it's just that you would be probably better getting a Jazz since you don't know yet what style fits you (E.g Finger, Pick, Slap) and Jazz basses being the more versatile in the different styles of playing.

Enjoy!
Quote by Axle543

I wouldn't go so far and say they are COMPLETELY different instruments. I mean, they have exactly the same fingerings and they share techniques. Theory and technique wise you don't really need to learn anything new (unless you want to slap) - of course you need to learn to play with your fingers if you want. Though you can always play your bass with pick (though IMO a good bassist should be able to do both pick and fingerstyle). Switching from guitar to bass is pretty easy (I play both), a lot easier than switching from trumpet to bass (again I play both). I would say the most important thing to learn is to be a bassist, not a guitarist playing the bass. The instruments are different because they have a different role in a band. But if you tell a guitarist to play a bass part on bass, he can play it, even if he has never even touched a bass.

So TS, if you know the chords and notes on guitar, the same information applies to bass. Bass has four strings that are the same as on guitar (EADG) - so it has exactly the same notes. First fret on the low E string on guitar is the same note as first fret on the low E string on bass - on bass it's just an octave lower. On bass you aren't usually playing full chords but knowing where to find the chord tones is still very useful when you want to play your own basslines.

And you can teach yourself to play any instrument. You don't need a teacher. But a teacher can tell if there's something wrong with your technique (if you haven't noticed it by yourself) and can give you some good advice. But today we have Youtube - you'll find lots of teaching videos there. And there are lots of websites that can teach you some basic (and more advanced) stuff. Have you learned to play the guitar by yourself? Bass is no different. You can learn to play it by yourself. When you listen to music, pay attention to what bass does - that's very important.

Oh, and here's a good comparison of how different basses sound like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFjA0cshhvc

I wouldn't say Jazz Bass is any better for different styles than a P Bass is. P Bass has its own tone and it works for fingerstyle, slapping and picking. Same with any other bass.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Sep 3, 2013,
Try out both the Squier VM models and see which sound and neck you get on with. Jazz is more versatile in the long run but it really is down to you to road test them before buying.
signature
Regarding the bass:

At your price range, mostly it doesn't matter what you get. My starter bass (I play guitar but was asked to play bass on a project) was a Fender Skull bass I pulled off the Used Wall at a Guitar Denter for under $100. Cheap P&J bass with passive pickups and silly graphics:

Works great, plays great, sounds great.

Sometime after that, I picked up a very lightly used (jazz player) bright red 1989 Carvin LB75 five-string neckthrough guitar in bright red with active preamp. A great player with a Jackson-style headstock. This is James Lomenzo with one back in the day:

Last edited by dspellman at Sep 6, 2013,
The yamaha you mentioned will work fine for most things in my experience and another thing on its side, othr than the price, is the weight. Very light bass
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP