Alright Gent's,

Trying to pick out a new(or used) 4x12 cab for my dual rectifier head. Trying to get some opinions on selection preference and why. Tonal Characteristics and examples would be great! Trying to keep it under $700, and I am constantly transient , so local is no issue.
I play worship music(Mat Redman, Chris Tomlin) and Pop/Punk(ADTR, Mayday Parade), as well as stuff similar to Sent By Ravens, All That Remains and Being As An Ocean. So versatility is key.

Thanks!
Ibanez Custom Sz series
Ibanez ARZ400
Home Made Tele
Halo Custom Shop Clarus
Gibson LP Custom Shop
Bugera 333XL
BlackStar HT-5
Ibanez TS9DX
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss DD-5
Korg Pitchblack
ISP Tech Decimator
Used 4x12 Orange or a Mesa w/ V30's is what i would look for.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Depending on where you live, mesa boogie 4x12s with v30s come around craigslist quite a bit. Mesa boogie has the oversize rectifier cabs and their road king cabs which are much cheaper.

If you can get your hands on This , they are the honest highest band per buck for a new cab with vintage 30s

Avatar cabs are good for the price. New or used.

Regarding quality, Mesa Boogie and Orange share the #1 spot on a metaphorical.
???
Quote by AfghanVet
Alright Gent's,

Trying to pick out a new(or used) 4x12 cab for my dual rectifier head. Trying to get some opinions on selection preference and why. Tonal Characteristics and examples would be great!

With very few exceptions, 4x12s are almost identical to each other. They tend to be a 30" x 30" x 14" box with four holes for speakers and a stick or board that runs from the center of the baffle to the back panel (to eliminate a nasty resonance in the frequency range associated with multiples of a 35" wavelength). Most are made of birch ply. There are some made out of MDF (particle board) and while they sound the same, the MDF versions are heavier, have problems with any kind of impact and can suck up moisture, swell and turn into oatmeal.

About the only place where they really differ tonally is with the speakers themselves. A cabinet loaded with Vintage 30's will sound different (and have greater efficiency) than one loaded with Rocket 50's.

In short (this will now cause hackles to rise and we should see snot and sweat spraying all over the place), a Carvin or Avatar cabinet loaded with Vintage 30's will sound virtually identical to most Bogner or Mesa or Orange or Marshall cabinets loaded with the same speakers.

You WILL, however, find wildly different pricing depending on brand names. Let the buyer beware.
Quote by dspellman

In short (this will now cause hackles to rise and we should see snot and sweat spraying all over the place), a Carvin or Avatar cabinet loaded with Vintage 30's will sound virtually identical to most Bogner or Mesa or Orange or Marshall cabinets loaded with the same speakers.

I do not agree at all. I have done tone comparisons, with v30 mesa, v30 orange and marshalls with different speakers in them. The Mesa has the best mid response, the orange the best bass (due to the thicker wood) and the marshalls sound cruddy regardless of the speakers.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by dspellman
With very few exceptions, 4x12s are almost identical to each other. They tend to be a 30" x 30" x 14" box with four holes for speakers and a stick or board that runs from the center of the baffle to the back panel (to eliminate a nasty resonance in the frequency range associated with multiples of a 35" wavelength). Most are made of birch ply. There are some made out of MDF (particle board) and while they sound the same, the MDF versions are heavier, have problems with any kind of impact and can suck up moisture, swell and turn into oatmeal.

About the only place where they really differ tonally is with the speakers themselves. A cabinet loaded with Vintage 30's will sound different (and have greater efficiency) than one loaded with Rocket 50's.

You WILL, however, find wildly different pricing depending on brand names. Let the buyer beware.

Nope, not at all

You obviously have very little experience with a variety of cabs. The material and interior volume of the cab has a huge impact on the tone. Cabs that are only 3/4 of an inch different this way or that can make a very large impact on the tone of the same speakers.

The way a cab is constructed makes a big difference in the resonance of the cab
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate