I have a Ibanez RGR320SP (it has a double locking Tremolo)

Do I need to buy a guitar tuner?

If i do can you recommend me a cheap well made one?

I just want to play hard rock mainly and I only have about 30 minutes a day to practice.

Thanks
I mean you don't have to. You could just use one on a computer. But they are nice to have.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-GFT90-Footpedal-Tuner-ALL-NEW-CIRCUITRY-THE-BEST_p_1084.html
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Im trying to tune it manually but I know Im not doing it correctly.

Is the online tuning free? How does that work?
If you don't know how to tune your guitar, buying one with a double-locking trem was probably not the best idea you've ever had...

Just google 'online tuner' and go from there for the actual tuning part, but getting your trem set up is a good bit more involved. It's not 'hard' per se, but there are specific things you need to know to get it done right.

Start HERE
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Everyone should have a tuner, and make sure to get a chromatic one and not a 'guitar' one. They're dirt cheap for a good one too.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/korg-ca-40-electronic-chromatic-tuner

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Going to have to agree. Especially if you ever want to play out, you've got to have a tuner. The one here occasionally goes on sale for $12.95 on Musician's Friend for the Stupid Deal of the Day.

I picked one up recently and have seen it go on sale twice. It's as good as my Boss portable tuner, plus it has a metronome.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/tascam-tg-7-guitar-and-bass-tuner-metronome
You can buy a cheap tuner or use a computer program. Also some amps and multieffect pedals have built-in tuners, so make sure you don't have one already.
Where do you live? Go walk into a music store and ask for the guitar tuners. Check out all the different ones they have.

You may want one that you plug into, or one that goes on your neck and is tuned by the vibrations. Tuners usually are anywhere from $10-100, my favorite being the Polytune by TC electronic.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Do you have a smart phone? There are guitar tuner apps.

As for actual hardware tuners, I can recommend the Korg Pitchblack tuner. It's quite cheap and extremely good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have a free tuner app on my phone called "pano tuner". It works great
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I don't use a tuner to tune my guitar, I usually use my ears to tune. When I want to tune to the right pitch, I play the note on some other instrument (most of the time piano or bass). If I had a headstock tuner, I would maybe use it more often. I just don't mind plugging my guitar into a tuner when I can tune it by ear. It's a different thing when I gig (because then I of course want to make sure everybody's in exactly the same pitch).

But yeah, it's still good to have a tuner.

And TS, what do you mean by this:

"Im trying to tune it manually but I know Im not doing it correctly."

Even if you have a tuner, you will still tune "manually". A tuner doesn't automatically tune your guitar, it only shows you the pitch of the notes you play. And there isn't an incorrect way to tune a guitar. Standard tuning isn't the only "correct" guitar tuning.

Oh, there's one incorrect way to tune your guitar and it's trying to tune it without opening the locking nut first.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Aug 28, 2013,
Last edited by xmax3x at Aug 28, 2013,
i actually hardly use tuners i seem to prefer the results of tuning by ear. i tend to tune to keyboards, harmonicas, etc. if i play gigs (or need to tune discretely) then i will use a tuner.

so no, you don't technically need a tuner, but if you don't get one you need to be able to get a source note (unless you have perfect pitch) and know how to tune your guitar.

it sounds like you are a beginner, so getting a tuner would be a pretty good idea. it will be challenging enough for you to tune your guitar with a tuner.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by xmax3x

Lol no, just keep the Deltalab CT-10.

Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by Funk Monk
Lol no, just keep the Deltalab CT-10.

Dont they have the same technology inside and its just a different name?
What makes the deltalab CT-10 more expensive than the Snark SN-1?
Last edited by xmax3x at Aug 29, 2013,
Quote by xmax3x
Dont they have the same technology inside and its just a different name?
What makes the deltalab CT-10 more expensive than the Snark SN-1?

Brands, also Snark may just be cheaper to manufacture (maybe it's made in China and Deltalab is made in somewhere else like USA or Japan, or maybe it uses some cheaper materials and components). What makes some food more expensive? What makes some clothes more expensive? It's the same thing - brands.

But don't return it because you already bought it. I don't think saving ten bucks is worth the hassle of returning it and buying a new one.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
If you have a tuner but you know you're not tuning correctly, the problem is with you and not the hardware. There's no reason to trade in a perfectly good tuner if you don't know how to use a tuner in the first place.

What is the problem you are having? Have you watched a youtube video on how to tune a guitar? I bet there's one specifically for a double locking trem, too.
I would say you don't have to purchase a tuner if you're just a hobby player. There are many great free online tuners, like this one: (removed)
Last edited by guitarfanatic16 at Feb 20, 2014,
A tuner is essential for every guitar player, I would argue. or at least those who aren't pitch pefect.
I have a PITCHLAB tuner on my Android smartphone. Chromatic, so will tune guitar, bass, anything. It was free from the Play Store, it's always been accurate.
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
Yes. Gstrings is a good free android tuner too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification