Hi,

I've been experiments with combining the m7b5 arpeggio with the minor pentatonic. Am I correct in that the combination of these two results in a version of the blues scale?

Thanks.
Yes - though it's not a "version of the blues scale", it's the blues scale.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Not sure I fully understand your question but I hope this helps...

A m7b5 or a m7dim consists of the 1 b3 b5 b7, the only abnormal part from the parent scale is the b5. This would work with a blues scale which is 1 b3 4 b5 5 b7 so over the m7b5 chord you can add in the 'blues notes' (b5) however I wouldn't recommend playing this note over some other chords in the scale for example if you're playing in c, you wouldn't play the b5 over an Em as this has a G in which is the 5th degree (dominant) and the b5 over this would clash with the natural 5.

hope this helps
A pentatonic scale is just a major or minor scale stripped down to its "strongest" notes, whereas the blues scales includes notes normally found in both major and minor scales (and the b5). So your m7b5 arpeggio already has the pentatonic scale in it, which is why they would work together.
Quote by billytalent77
A pentatonic scale is just a major or minor scale stripped down to its "strongest" notes, whereas the blues scales includes notes normally found in both major and minor scales (and the b5). So your m7b5 arpeggio already has the pentatonic scale in it, which is why they would work together.

Wut? m7b5 doesn't have the pentatonic scale in it. It only has four notes, three of which are part of the pentatonic scale. Pentatonic scale has five notes in it.

Also the blues scale is the pentatonic scale with a b5.

But I wouldn't play blues/pentatonic scale over m7b5. I mean, you need to first figure out the key. If it's, let's say, a Bm7b5, you are most likely in A minor or C major - though it depends on the other chords in the progression. And if it's in A minor or C major, you would most likely use A minor or C major scale. A minor scale has all the notes a Bm7b5 contains.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
It fits into the blues scale, but if you played a m7b5 arpeggio over a blues it might sound a bit abstract. That b5 has a really strong resolution tendency and it works most effectively when you use it stepwise to get to 4 or 5.