Page 1 of 2
to start it off i have one 1995 MIM i got from a friend promising to leaving it in the same configuration. he isn't in the states anymore and realistically i will never talk to or see him again. but will honor his requests.

ii have owned around a dozen strats. some i hold on to some needed a bit or cleaning and minor work and i fixed and sold. MIMs sell here like cocaine in miami.

i have had a HWY1, which if i remember correctly how it was i do wish i would have kept it.

i have owned two americans, either after setup and cleaned, neither really worth the money tied up in them for what i could sell them for. both were in the early 2000's IIRC. at the time i didn't feel they were 'better' enough to justify keeping them while the 1995 MIM. so i sold them.

i have had probably over 8 MIM's in and out of my hands. i didn't try to get any of them, just that they are pretty liquid assets i took them in trade for shit i wanted to get rid of.

/drama

however i do like strat tone to some degree, i really like it on some tracks. i love them for blues or such as most of my other guitars have humbuckers.

also i don't like the 2 and 4 position only.

my strat doesn't have a ton of output as far as stock pickups go, but with my zendrive it makes it better. i use it with several amps and am still never happy.

i want to get a little closer to what i think makes the 'strat' tone.

also i like the models with the larger fretboard radius.

i prefer the hotter end as to softer don't want a HSS. SSS only.

i haven't played that many G&L, i honestly think i just want to go fender. MIA if possible, i really don't know a ton about the MIJ's so it could be an option.

$700 total, used is fine, squier is not. tampa or orlando.
i have a house in both cities, but i am in tampa more.

general models or models that don't pop up often are fine. probably will be local or over the forums.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have found I am not a FENDER guy- there are subtle nuances in their guitars that turn me off. Some of it I know is the finish on the necks, but some of it is ergonomics and other factors I cant precisely nail down. However, I have found "Strats" by other companies that I have liked- G&L, Godin, Fret-King, Carvin, Fernandes... I'm probably getting a Dean Zelinsky Private Label Tagliare.

If you find yourself not bonding with the Fenders you've owned, maybe you're like me and it's a Fender issue, not a Strat issue.

In the alternative, have you considered just getting some hotter singlecoils for the Strat you own?

(Or is that the one your friend "loaned" you?)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 28, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I have found I am not a FENDER guy- there are subtle nuances in their guitars that turn me off. Some of it I know is the finish on the necks, but some of it is ergonomics and other factors I cant precisely nail down. However, I have found "Strats" by other companies that I have liked- G&L, Godin, Fret-King, Carvin, Fernandes... I'm probably getting a Dean Zelinsky Private Label Tagliare.

If you find yourself not bonding with the Fenders you've owned, maybe you're like me and it's a Fender issue, not a Strat issue.

In the alternative, have you considered just getting some hotter singlecoils for the Strat you own?

maybe i am not a fender guy either ? thanks for the thought on that. i own a fender shomaster and i love the damn thing, so the fender thing neutralizes. the necks is pretty similar the main difference its a carved top. which isn't a bit factor because i go from one to another every day.

i am limited to dealers, despite being in two relatively large cities.

that fretking you got was extremely impressive. didn't you import that though?

my friend moved back to his home country which is south Africa. he wanted to leave something behind, and he left that. but he requested leaving it as it was when he left.

also i have another question, when i was at a GC comparing that to some other MIM's is that one of the reps said that my guitar had better pickups then the MIM i was looking at. that was kind of deterring a sale but being honest. he said that on mine the poles on the pickups were flat , having no ridges unlike what i normally i have seen. he said that the they were better. i have no reason why, but IIRC it isn't extremely common in fender strats.

as far as Godin, i tried a redline (i realize that the redline is a super strat) but thats all i have ever experienced of godin. it came in used and has been the only i have ever seen.

what are some options other then fender for <$700
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Aug 28, 2013,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
maybe i am not a fender guy either ? thanks for the thought on that. i own a fender shomaster and i love the damn thing, so the fender thing neutralizes. the necks is pretty similar the main difference its a carved top. which isn't a bit factor because i go from one to another every day.

Had to ask!

i am limited to dealers, despite being in two relatively large cities.

I know EXACTLY what you mean- I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, and tracking down anything besides a new Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Schecter or Gretsch can be an adventure. The 2 Deans I own had to be brought in by a dealer who sold Dean basses but none of their guitars (they do NOW, though). After years of looking, I FINALLY know where to find new G&Ls in 2 local stores, new Reverends in one, and new Godins in one.
that fretking you got was extremely impressive. didn't you import that though?

I did- from Frets Guitar Centre in the UK. It was a Super 60HB it came out to @$680- there were some minor import duties & taxes- $30-50 as I recall- but that was included in the price. The only major thing I had to do was buy a hardshell case (and a strap)- F-Ks only come with padded gig bags. They still have them, BTW, as well as the Super 60SP, which has a P90 in the bridge instead of a HB. I'd order from them again, and probably will- I want one of those Super 60 SPs and an Esprit 5s!

as far as Godin, i tried a redline (i realize that the redline is a super strat) but thats all i have ever experienced of godin. it came in used and has been the only i have ever seen.

I have gotten to try out used Godin Sessions, Progressions and Passions at my local Guitar Centers, and regret not buying any of them. Because Godin isn't a household name, they tend to be underpriced in the used market. Since you're looking for a classic Strat type guitar, those would be the models you'd want to look at. I routinely see them in the $450-700 range on GC's website.

what are some options other then fender for <$700

Besides what I mentioned, the Fernandes Retrorockets might work. And G&Ls are killer! I've only tried the pricey USA models, but JustRooster says the Tribute line (MiK?) are between the Fender USA and MiM models in quality, so definitely worth a look.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Just looked- the Fernandes Retrorocket Pro may not be what you're looking for: it's HSS, and one of those is a Sustainer. Very nice, but may be hotter than you want.

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/retrorocket/78-retrorocket-pro.html

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have had a HWY1, which if i remember correctly how it was i do wish i would have kept it.

some of the hwy1 strats are really nice. maybe keep an eye out for one of those?

Quote by gregs1020
some of the hwy1 strats are really nice. maybe keep an eye out for one of those?

I had one back about 10 yrs ago. I regret selling it so bad right now, I don't know what I was thinking. It played like butter after I got it set up to my liking. If I were you I would look for one of these too.
Ibanez SR1200E
Quote by gregs1020

yea, what exactly the deal with them. greg i know you are very knowledgable so i hope you know this, but i have heard several conflicting arguments as to what the HWY 1 was.

i have been told that they were nitro, (which i am a fan of), and the one that i had the neck felt like nitro. if so, were the american strats of the time nitro'd too?

-i have heard that the hwy1's were purely MIM parts manufactured in the US to US standards.
-i have heard that the bodies and necks were of a higher grade wood and nitroed
-another thing i have heard that a vast majority of the work was done in mexico, and just shipped them to the US, being as minimal US manufactured as possible to call them USA guitars, and set up in the states.
-they use the texas specials, correct?

they were satin as far as sheen goes, right? i kind of like that.

the HW1 was probably my favorite, but with so many and a few years later things get hazy. i have probably bought a dozen guitars since then.

its frustrating.

thank you all for the help
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!

well i'm pretty sure they were a super thin nitro, at least the later satin finish type ones. those didn't have texas specials but i think the earlier versions may have. i only have experience with the later versions.

the satin finish would gloss over with use, something from the oils in your skin and contact etc. we had one in the store that had been there a while, from polishing it regularly and use it was completely glossed in under a year.

the hardware was nothing special as i remember, it may have been the same as the mim ones.

i just remember selling the hell out of them before the american specials came out. those may be something you should check out actually.

those are urethane though.. i'm sure the hwy1 guitars were nitro.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 28, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Had to ask!

I know EXACTLY what you mean- I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, and tracking down anything besides a new Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Schecter or Gretsch can be an adventure. The 2 Deans I own had to be brought in by a dealer who sold Dean basses but none of their guitars (they do NOW, though). After years of looking, I FINALLY know where to find new G&Ls in 2 local stores, new Reverends in one, and new Godins in one.

I did- from Frets Guitar Centre in the UK. It was a Super 60HB it came out to @$680- there were some minor import duties & taxes- $30-50 as I recall- but that was included in the price. The only major thing I had to do was buy a hardshell case (and a strap)- F-Ks only come with padded gig bags. They still have them, BTW, as well as the Super 60SP, which has a P90 in the bridge instead of a HB.

I have gotten to try out used Godin Sessions, Progressions and Passions at my local Guitar Centers, and regret not buying any of them. Because Godin isn't a household name, they tend to be underpriced in the used market. Since you're looking for a classic Strat type guitar, those would be the models you'd want to look at. I routinely see them in the $450-700 range on GC's website.

Besides what I mentioned, the Fernandes Retrorockets might work. And G&Ls are killer! I've only tried the pricey USA models, but JustRooster says the Tribute line (MiK?) are between the Fender USA and MiM models in quality, so definitely worth a look.

we had two decent shops go under in the last six months, and two have survived on lessons alone, one carries dean, but just the low end, and they have been open for 5 years they are insanely priced. the other shop is ibanez, but they don't have a guitar over $300, and the owner is kind of a jackass and didn't really want to let me try out a ibby semi hollow. i inquired about teaching there, but they don't pay shit.

i two GC and one Sam Ash, but the guys at sam ash are rude, try not to get you to play anything without buying it. when i go there i say, "if you want to possibly make a sale today, you will back off".

GC is barren of anything fun. just nothing worth even playing unless you are looking at LP's they have some nice higher end.

i can't play anything. so i buy it and adapt. i have never really had a problem playing any instrument as long as it is decently set up, but i do have preferences.

that fret king looked so nice.

i would also consider G&L now after a little research.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Woof. That IS rough. You'd expect the Deans to be well stocked since they are a Florida company...

Given my recent posting history, I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest a Rebverend.

A Six Gun might work for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAQ0w4z3C8c&sns=em

Theyre juuuuuuust a little bit over your price range, new.

http://grapevineguitarworks.com/shop/new-electric-guitars/reverend-gun-iii-electric-guitar-chronic-blue/

http://www.durdels.com/reverendsixguniiichronicblue.aspx

The korina body and Fat S pickups should deliver a good classic tone and a lot more depending on how you work the Tone and Bass Contour controls.

Older versions of the Six Gun have a Tele-style pickup in the bridge:

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/electric/reverend/reverend-six-gun-with-wilkinson-tremolo-cream/?gclid=CIC10_nPobkCFSZp7Aod4joAsw

http://reverb.com/item/12365-reverend-six-gun-metallic-blue-black

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 29, 2013,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would also consider G&L now after a little research.

stick with the models that have the MFDs or MFD Zcoils. So the comanche or the S-500, not the legacy. (only because the legacy has alnico pups and i don't think those would be what you want).

some can be heavy, so it never hurts ask what they weigh if you're thinking of a used one online through GC/SA/forums/etc...

i haven't read most of danny's posts yet, so i'm going to go back, find the korina bodied bolt on S/S/S reverend where ever it is and +1 it.

edit: so ^^ +1.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 28, 2013,
Check out some of the MIK Fender Strats with set necks, you may like the feel.

Quote by gregs1020

That's my go to Strat, along with an '82 JV Squier. I believe the older Highway Ones were Nitro like you said.
Quote by gregs1020
i haven't read most of danny's posts yet, so i'm going to go back, find the korina bodied bolt on S/S/S reverend where ever it is and +1 it.

edit: so ^^ +1.

FWIW, Dean Zelinsky Private Label are made in Indonesia, according to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf8NI7WN4ao&sns=em

That guy is reviewing the Strettavita, but their Tagliare (Strat) should be of similar quality.

(I have not watched the video yet.)

damn a lot of posts. However all i have is my cell, which complicates things a bit here, but i will look at it all.

I will be reading though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Ippon
Check out some of the MIK Fender Strats with set necks, you may like the feel.

That's my go to Strat, along with an '82 JV Squier. I believe the older Highway Ones were Nitro like you said.

If possible could you maybe compare the hw1 to a US std?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Stumbled on this:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/118063

Its a little above your budget, but it should be well made and dead on target for the classic sound you want.

I'm not a strat guy either. I do like the shortscale Fender guitars, like the Jaguar. Still not my favorite guitars though.

I think a set neck would make a huge different on how a strat feels, but it might be better to go for a Reverend equipped with either p90s or single coils or both. I've been seriously considering a Buckshot myself.
My Hwy1 had the nitro. I was told from multiple sources that the neck and body was sourced from the same place as the MIM's, with slightly different pups, and assembled in the USA.

I had one of the Korean Fender Showmasters. Had a set neck, 14" radius, SD 50 and SD JB pups.... Holy crap it was awesome. Got it for under $300 brand new back in like 2004... but had to sell off my rig due to stupid crap. In fact, that guitar is probably why I sold both my Hwy1 and my highly modded Epi LP that I had. I had no desire to play anything else.
Ibanez SR1200E
For when I want to play SRV or Jimi, my 97 USA strat does the part very well. I guess it depends on what you want to play.
Quote by pachap
My Hwy1 had the nitro. I was told from multiple sources that the neck and body was sourced from the same place as the MIM's, with slightly different pups, and assembled in the USA.

I had one of the Korean Fender Showmasters. Had a set neck, 14" radius, SD 50 and SD JB pups.... Holy crap it was awesome. Got it for under $300 brand new back in like 2004... but had to sell off my rig due to stupid crap. In fact, that guitar is probably why I sold both my Hwy1 and my highly modded Epi LP that I had. I had no desire to play anything else.

i picked mine up for around $200, but it was a single humbucker model, believe it was a celtic model IIRC.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
If possible could you maybe compare the hw1 to a US std?

I believe the closest to the discontinued Highway One in terms of specs is the American Special ... both are the cheapest MIA Strats, same Greasebucket tone circuit, except the A Special has Texas Specials. I love the jumbo frets on the H1 (same as the A Special) vs. the Medium jumbo on the American Standard. The newer A Standard feels and sounds better (to me) compared to the previous model, maybe because of the CS Fat 50s. I wouldn't mind having one.
Try different ones. Different folks like different brands. My favorite Strat is actually a G&L S500. My 2nd favorite Strat is a CIJ ST57. There are billions of different ones. It's like asking "Am I just not a Camaro guy?" Depends on the 'maro.
Thanks danny for the detailed rundown. I am mainly considering a fretking the reverend w/p90's and a hwy 1, or just if i find the right USA strat. G&l are also in the game
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Try out the different G&L's.

The S500 is pretty awesome. Very glassy and smooth, great midrange. The ability to blend the Neck with the Bridge is great, too. I feel it's the silkiest of the brand.

The Comanche has a hell of a lot of grit and mojo. Feels to me most like the Fender Strats, but with hairier balls.

The Legacy, despite the name, is the furthest from the traditional Strats I've felt. The sound is smooth, but a tad unpronounced in the Tribute models. It's chunky and heavy, but it translates well through the amp. If you're a heavy handed player, you'll probably love it.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

The Tributes are on par with most CIJ/MIJ products from Fender.
Last edited by JustRooster at Aug 30, 2013,
Is there any chance that you can hold off and save for another few months to expand your budget? Because if so, what it sounds like to me is you like most of a good strat, but there are certain things - radius, output, wiring, etc. - that you want changed, and if that's the case, A Carvin Bolt(Carvin's strat knockoff) seems right up your alley. If you're able to expand your budget $100-$300, you should be able to afford one quite nicely as long as you don't go crazy with quilt tops and other aesthetics.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
The S500 is pretty awesome. Very glassy and smooth, great midrange. The ability to blend the Neck with the Bridge is great, too. I feel it's the silkiest of the brand.

The Comanche has a hell of a lot of grit and mojo. Feels to me most like the Fender Strats, but with hairier balls.

I love the S500 and Comanche. Awesome feeling guitars! I'd have gone for the blueburst S500 hanging on the wall of Grapevine Guitar Works back in January if not for the siren song of the Flatroc ...

Sparkly metal flake finish + a few hundred $ cheaper appealed to my inner Tolkien Dwarf

(Plus I was also hot on the tail of a Fret-King Super 60SP...and wound up with a Fret-King Super 60HB instead- they ran out of the SPs.)

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 30, 2013,
Quote by necrosis1193
Is there any chance that you can hold off and save for another few months to expand your budget? Because if so, what it sounds like to me is you like most of a good strat, but there are certain things - radius, output, wiring, etc. - that you want changed, and if that's the case, A Carvin Bolt(Carvin's strat knockoff) seems right up your alley. If you're able to expand your budget $100-$300, you should be able to afford one quite nicely as long as you don't go crazy with quilt tops and other aesthetics.

Budget isn't a huge deal, however i have other things i need, and i don't really think I want to spend more on one. I have been looking for another amp and
/or another ibanez prestige. And i need a quad of kt88s and a pair of 6l6's.

, I will be in Nashville in about 2 weeks but may not have room to haul anything back.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
i bought a 60th anniversary mia strat a few months ago. i bought it because the local shop wouldn't order ther G&L i really wanted, and i don't do ups under any circumstances. the G&L is better than the comparable fender model every single time, period.
I want to be the Robert De Niro of Asia
Quote by dannyalcatraz

I haven't tried to read the whole thread, so apologies if I'm redundant! But G&L was founded by Leo Fender. No surprise that some prefer G&L guitars to Leo's namesake = Fender.

The Fender company went thru lots of variation in product quality...for a number of reasons. If I were shopping for a guitar right now I would be cautious about buying a Fender guitar.

Having said that, I have a 1989 bluestone H.M. Strat, 2 singles and a humbucker at the bridge. Love it !!!
Quote by KendoSurf
I haven't tried to read the whole thread, so apologies if I'm redundant! But G&L was founded by Leo Fender. No surprise that some prefer G&L guitars to Leo's namesake = Fender.

The Fender company went thru lots of variation in product quality...for a number of reasons. If I were shopping for a guitar right now I would be cautious about buying a Fender guitar.

Yep!

Who today knows the nature and number of tweaks he made to his Strat design when he started G&L? Regardless, they just seem to work better for me. No knock on Fender.

You should try the Squier Classic Vibe series. They are much better than Fender's MIM Standards as far as both build and tone. Ignore the fact that it says squire on the headstock and give it a try. You'll be pleasantly surprised . Trust me on this one.
Paul Reed Smith compared his Pauls guitar to a G & L ASAT Korina edition a month ago at seattle guitar store , he was very impressed with the G & L and played it for a pretty good length of time compared to all the other guitars in the shoot out ..... thats saying alot in my opinion
Thank you very much for all the work you put into helping me, i have a lot of guitars to play and to try and a lot of places to go and hopefully I'll be able to season the other than fender. I will be scouting them out,

And who knows, maybe i am not a strat guy,

However i wouldn't be even looking at possibilities with you.

when it comes you will see the ngd.

Thanks again.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Happy hunting!

Page 1 of 2