I'm considering buying a loop pedal. However, after reading reviews and doing research I have the feeling I am back to zero; I don't know what I need anymore.

I do not need a lot of features. Effects, drum tracks and other stuff are not mandatory. What I like to have is the possibility to capture ideas for songs. For example, when I created a nice intro I want be able to loop and store it. After that I want be able to create a new loop for capturing a chorus, a bridge or something like that (so no overdub). It is just for capturing ideas for songs. Of course overdubbing should be possible as well.

I do have a Boss BR800 where I can record with so I'm not asking for a loop pedal that gives me the opportunity to create high end songs with.

Another purpose of the loop pedal is just to loop something what I played and solo/improvise over it.

Looping pedals I looked at:
- TC Elecronic Ditto looper
- Digitech Jamman stereo
- Vox VDL1 Dymamic Looper
- Boss RC3
- AKAI E2 Headrush

Requirements:
- Possibility of saving some loops (just in case)
- Overdub
- Simplicity is the key (metronome, drum tracks, etc. are not mandatory).

Additional info:
- Blackstar HT 5R combo
- Telecaster 72 Telecaster Deluxe
- PRS SE EG
Last edited by GuitarL91 at Aug 28, 2013,
Multiple independent loops is a price driver. None of the loopers you mentioned have that. So you might need to look at something more expensive like the Boss RC300 or a used RC50.

If you can live with overdubs and not separate loops then the Jamman is a good choice. Even though you don't want drums and FX, the GNX4 can be found used for $150 or so and can provide 8 independent recorded loops and infinite overdubs. It also has a looper synced midi drum machine.
Quote by fly135
Multiple independent loops is a price driver. None of the loopers you mentioned have that. So you might need to look at something more expensive like the Boss RC300 or a used RC50.

If you can live with overdubs and not separate loops then the Jamman is a good choice. Even though you don't want drums and FX, the GNX4 can be found used for $150 or so and can provide 8 independent recorded loops and infinite overdubs. It also has a looper synced midi drum machine.

Yeah that's the consideration... I probably will use the looper more for playing over it than for creating songs, so overdubs will do the job than. I find the price of a RC 300 way too much for my use so cutting on independent loops seems legit here.
You'll find a drum or beat feature to be invaluable once you start using it. Loop pedals are a must, and you need one that lets you save your loops, there's nothing worse than forgetting your riff, and nothing better than turning your looper on and having it right there.

Consider the RC-3 and The RC30 if you have the money for it.
Quote by Mephaphil
You'll find a drum or beat feature to be invaluable once you start using it. Loop pedals are a must, and you need one that lets you save your loops, there's nothing worse than forgetting your riff, and nothing better than turning your looper on and having it right there.

Yeah loop pedals are awesome. As said, the song making idea is less important than the other use. I could afford the RC30 but I am in the phase where I have to determine my needs and decide what I want and what I don't.
for what you are describing i would use software. you can create little snippets and riffs, then loop and rearrange as you see fit.

i know this isn't what you asked advice for, but hearing what you are doing it sounds like you want more of something to arrange on than just a looping device. just thought i might throw another idea in there.

macs come with garageband for free, you can get Reaper for free on PC, and both computers can use amplitube and that comes with a free 4 track recorder as well (though there is limited rearranging on amplitube). but those are some free options.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
for what you are describing i would use software. you can create little snippets and riffs, then loop and rearrange as you see fit.

i know this isn't what you asked advice for, but hearing what you are doing it sounds like you want more of something to arrange on than just a looping device. just thought i might throw another idea in there.

macs come with garageband for free, you can get Reaper for free on PC, and both computers can use amplitube and that comes with a free 4 track recorder as well (though there is limited rearranging on amplitube). but those are some free options.

+1. Seems like TS is looking for a Boss BR800.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Mephaphil

+1 to the RC-3. I have one and they are such a handy tool. If you ever want to see what they are capable of check out the Boss RC-3 Looping Championships. I think they are using RC30's but it will give you an idea.

EDIT: I forgot to add that out of most I tried excluding the Ditto the Boss RC-3 was the simplest. But considering that you just want a meat and potato's looper I'd go the Ditto.
Last edited by ibanart300 at Aug 29, 2013,
I wouldn't recommend the Ditto Looper to anyone, or any looper where you can't save your loops.

TS I fear you'll buy twice when you realise how annoying it is when you want to go back to a loop and can't, consider having the ability to save very seriously.
Quote by lucky1978
+1. Seems like TS is looking for a Boss BR800.

Sounds like this is the answer. TS - use what you already have. It'll do the job.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington

Sounds like this is the answer. TS - use what you already have. It'll do the job.

Indeed, I do have a Boss BR 800 and I use it quite often. I use it to store songs on and play along, slow down parts, A-B loop pars of a song to practice.

However, for standard loops it's not that practical. If I want loop something or I play something that's nice, I don't want to grab my Boss, select the setting etc. before I am able to record it. It seems the footswitch of the Boss doesn't do the job here.

I just want to loop some stuff and if it is reaaaaaallly that good, I will grab my Boss and record it there, unless it is really easy and efficient to use the Boss?
Quote by GuitarL91
Indeed, I do have a Boss BR 800 and I use it quite often. I use it to store songs on and play along, slow down parts, A-B loop pars of a song to practice.

However, for standard loops it's not that practical. If I want loop something or I play something that's nice, I don't want to grab my Boss, select the setting etc. before I am able to record it. It seems the footswitch of the Boss doesn't do the job here.

I just want to loop some stuff and if it is reaaaaaallly that good, I will grab my Boss and record it there, unless it is really easy and efficient to use the Boss?

Then like I said the Ditto will suit your needs. It's cheap and just a bare bones looper. No fancy features just a looper with the ability to overdub.
I looped with my Boss and I am not that happy. It works although overdubbing seems not to work. Although it works, it is a bit complicated to work and not efficient.

The Ditto looper might be sweet! Although you can;t really save loops, I always can record it with my Boss
Last edited by GuitarL91 at Aug 29, 2013,
Quote by GuitarL91
I looped with my Boss and I am not that happy. It works although overdubbing seems not to work. Although it works, it is a bit complicated to work and not efficient.

The Ditto looper might be sweet! Although you can;t really save loops, I always can record it with my Boss

I'd think it would take some practice and getting used to before it works efficiently for you. Multitrack recorders are all a pita at first.

I haven't tried the ditto looper but from my experience single switch loopers kinda suck. You need 2 switches to really use a looper effectively.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
I'd think it would take some practice and getting used to before it works efficiently for you. Multitrack recorders are all a pita at first.

I haven't tried the ditto looper but from my experience single switch loopers kinda suck. You need 2 switches to really use a looper effectively.

Yeah I tried it out, but it just isn't efficient enough for me. I came across some delay pedals including a loop function (DigiTech Hardwire DL8). It can loop 20 sec which should be good enough and includes delay effects