I prefer playing with my fingers and picking with my thumb, which sucks for rock and roll as the tone doesn't match. I recently started working with the fred kelly bumblebee thumb picks, which I like, except when I play finger style, the base notes are so much louder from the thumb pick than what i pick with my fingers...It's distracting and i hate it. I'vewatched Bert Jansch and Steve Earle do it flawlessly and their base notes don't overshadow the notes from their fingers..any advice on how to counteract this?
Pick more softly with your thumb.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Or, improve the attack with your fingers. Are you managing your nails properly? Best is in the manner classical guitar players do, so that you get a combination of nail and flesh that gives a good, clear tone.
There are lots of instructions on the net.

Or... Fingerpicks as well. They are problematic, but thousands of steel players and banjo pickers use 'em... So it can be done. The plastic ones don't give quite as sharp a tone.
Quote by Bikewer
Or, improve the attack with your fingers. Are you managing your nails properly? Best is in the manner classical guitar players do, so that you get a combination of nail and flesh that gives a good, clear tone.
There are lots of instructions on the net.

Or... Fingerpicks as well. They are problematic, but thousands of steel players and banjo pickers use 'em... So it can be done. The plastic ones don't give quite as sharp a tone.

False nails are an option as well now that I think about it properly; John Butler uses them.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Honestly, nails and finger picks don't make nearly as much tonal difference as the way you play, I NEVER use picks or nails and can get just as much twang as with a pick. Tommy Emmanuel rarely uses picks either, occasionally if he busts a callus or needs a thumb picking for switching to alternate picking, but usually all fingers and thumb.
That's not true. Tommy Emmanuel almost always uses a thumb pick. Dunlop medium. Very very rare that he doesn't use one