New phase I guess, but I remember learning this from my guitar teacher, but I didn't pay attention because that time I was like "Anything that isn't thirty seconds to mars sucks."

Anyways, I finally got over the whole band thing(actually sounds like the guy is just talking and not serious about it), so I want to go back to writing my own music. I did write a song dedicated to veterans, but I didn't like the sound, so gave up. I am clueless on writing surf/Hawaiian music, all I know is Hawaii uses the ukulele

Any ideas on this? I would just go learn to play ukulele, but my parents are mad about the violin right now.
Listen to some records that involve that playing style and figure it out by ear. It's that simple dude..
What guy above said, and also 'Surf Music' and 'Hawaiian' can be quite different. I would make sure you know which one you're actually thinking of doing.
Surf music... Well, have lots of reverb on your guitar sound and preferably use a Stratocaster or something with single coils and a whammy bar. And use those whammy bar dips here and there. You want to have a melody that emphasizes chord tones. You want the melody to be "melodic", lol. Listen to Walk Don't Run by The Ventures for example (or anything else by them). Oh, and don't forget the tremolo slides - tremolo pick and slide down at the same time (listen to Misirlou by Dick Dale).

And surf bands usually have two guitars, bass and drums.

I'm not sure about Hawaiian music. You were talking about ukuleles and stuff. Doesn't sound that much like surf to me.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Sorry, got sick on Friday and was in bed most of the day, so I never got around to replying. Then I had paintball yesterday which was interesting.. wonder how much really happened and how much I imagined... then today I had youth group and just now remembered I made this topic.

Anyways, thanks for the replies. Read a bit of history on surf music, and then learned the Hawaiian scale just because I was bored this morning. Will listen to some surf or Hawaiian music or whatever it is called as soon as I get around to it.
I can talk about Hawaiian music, but this is not surf guitar. Hawaiian guitar is based very heavily around the use of alternate tunings, so much so that each family on some islands had their own tuning and they were zealously guarded. These tunings are gnerally referred to as slack tunings.

Another part is the specific style of fingerpicking used. They use a swinging bass between the two low strings and a sort of claw fingers for plucking the higher strings. As far as I'm aware most chord progressions are I-V-IV-I. That's just about all I remember about Hawaiian guitar
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!