hey guys, I brought a bad monkey the other day, I thought, for the price its worth a few yucks, and it was. its a relatively good pedal for the price, the only issue, and its a big one, is that its a huge tone sucker on or off.. Im happy with its general sound, im just not happy that it saps the highs.

last night at band practice I lost a lot of openness to my amp, really hindering my sound in a mix situation. I'm sold on the idea though and like what it does, I just need something that retains my original tone.

I'm gonna say my budget is around £50 - £100,

I want a tubescreamer style, preferably True bypass, but a good buffer is not out of the question.

Edit : Im running through a blackstar stage 60 2x12 combo.
Last edited by Lespauljames at Aug 29, 2013,
Quote by Lespauljames
hey guys, I brought a bad monkey the other day, I thought, for the price its worth a few yucks, and it was. its a relatively good pedal for the price, the only issue, and its a big one, is that its a huge tone sucker on or off.. Im happy with its general sound, im just not happy that it saps the highs.

last night at band practice I lost a lot of openness to my amp, really hindering my sound in a mix situation. I'm sold on the idea though and like what it does, I just need something that retains my original tone.

I'm gonna say my budget is around £50 - £100,

I want a tubescreamer style, preferably True bypass, but a good buffer is not out of the question.

Edit : Im running through a blackstar stage 60 2x12 combo.

In most cases replacing to the best bang for the buck
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The Rockett Blue Note is a great transparent tubescreamer with a switch to bring back the mids and extra gain should you want it. It's the best ts based pedal I've tried in a little while.
i haven't noticed a massive problem with mine

you're aware that even a "good" tubescreamer will affect your original tone? they're anything but transparent, despite what the boutique cloners' hype says, that's precisely why they're so popular.

I haven't tried it, but from what I hear, the hardware tube od is like a "better" bad monkey. Which is true bypass.

Though if you hate the bad monkey that might not be the best plan. Then again, if you hate the BM, any TS-style pedal might not be the best plan.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
its more the top end I lose when the pedal in in front of the amp, and its not something i can seem to EQ out. it just seems to , well dampen the sound a little,
I like the bad monkey, its just that slight muffle! it helped when I was running my clean boost in the loop, but I use that for a solo boost, and dont want to keep that on constantly.

ill keep my eyes peeled for other TS clones and give them a go.
If you want a transparent OD why don't you just get a Joyo Ultimate Overdrive/Fullltone OCD
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by Lespauljames

There are EQ knobs on the pedal. Use them. They are not for decoration.

No, seriously thats what makes Bad Monkey so useful over normal tubescreamer. Dont like the mid hump? Boost the bass and highs. Still, its not a transparent overdrive and its not meant to be. If you dont like that, all tubescreamer type pedals are out of the question. But there are other overdrive designs out there, aswell as honest to God clean boost pedals that do nothing else.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
yeah i mean it's possible that it could do something to your tone that you don't like. Just be sure it's due to the bad monkey's cheapness and not just the circuit design. You don't want to fork out £150 for a "real" tubescreamer only to find out you have the same problem...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah. though if you can only hear the problem at gig levels that's gonna make it an awful lot harder to test other pedals...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's kind of odd. If it does it while it's off, it could just be the quality of the buffer.

Try the Hardwire CM-2. It's basically a nicer, higher quality Bad Mokney.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
from what i understand, a buffer should help maintain the high end of your signal (especially if you are using a bunch of longer cabling).

if i were you, i'd take my amp to a shop that has a selection of pedals and bring the bad monkey along with me. then i'd try out some stuff they had in the store to compare the bad monkey to, that way you have some kinda comparison to other product without having to sink cash into the problem.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
^ yeah

bad monkey already has a buffer in it. unless it's an iffy one- and if anything, from my non-scientific tests (I couldn't be bothered running a whole bunch of A/B tests to check its buffer ) i thought it brightened the tone rather than muffled it. but
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I find my Bad Monkey to be a little dark sounding with my amps. I also have a GFS Greenie (TS with a 3 position toggle for voicing) that I like when I do want some hi/mids back in my sound.

Yeah the CM-2 by Hardwire is a better Bad Monkey and it also has a voicing switch on it.

If you want a transparent OD look at the Timmy pedal, I think Prymeaxe has them in stock now for $125ish
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Look into a mi audio blues pro. They're just a little bit different but I really like them, they are pretty cheap. However i would take a timmy over one. Different yes, but pretty good either way.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/