I'm looking to upgrade my guitar from a Fender Squier. I play mainly metal and my budget is around £250. I've seen a Jackson JS32 King V for £247 and a BC Rich JRV Standard for £192. Which do you think would be the better guitar to purchase? Is the extra money for the Jackson worth it? I have small hands and have read reviews for the Jackson stating that it allows easy access to the frets but I couldn't find too many reviews on the BC Rich. I'm also open to any other suggestions, preferably a flying V shape (but I might settle for another style if it's better), a Floyd Rose tremolo and 24 frets.
Save up some more money, and buy a higher grade flying V later on if that's what you like.
I have been playing Jacksons, for awhile now, and they have never let me down. The Floyd rose licensed bridge is the same Floyd rose bridge you get from Floyd Rose. There's no difference other then it says "Jackson" on it. Jackson has been in business for a long time, and although they were bought by Fender a few years ago, their quality hasn't dropped, and I hear they have kept the same staff.

I have a 95 RR3 V it is a great guitar. When I went into the store to buy it I asked for a Jackson V, the sales guy looked at me and said here u go. they were all around $1,500 and up for king V's then, and they weren't even USA models. When I told him I couldn't afford that, he showed me 2 guitars I could afford and one of them is the one I bought.

My V is made in Japan, by Jackson, it is a Jackson, and although it isn't as expensive as a USA Model, it plays great. I was talking with an old guitar teacher one day, and I asked him what he thought about my V, and he replied something like, "There not the greatest Guitars around, but they're ok." Then he asked to try it. He has been playing for 38 years and his reaction to it was,"Wow this sounds like my Les Paul, and I cant believe how well it plays." The only thing he commented on as being different was the wide fretboard.

Since then I have replaced the Duncan designed pick ups with real Seymour Duncans, a Pearly Gates and an Alnico 2. BY the way it sounds better then the Gibson Les Paul I have now that sits in the case much more.

The Jackson you are looking at is a newer series of Jacksons aimed for affordability. It has a 24 fret Maple bolt on speed neck, bound fretboard, and headstock. The pickups are ok so Ive heard, but with a couple of hundred bucks you can replace them with anything you want in the future. It is made in Japan like every model they make thats isn't a USA model. It says Jackson on the headstock, thats what it is.

You seriously can't go wrong with this guitar at this price. FYI Its the same neck as the ones they put on high end Jacksons made in Japan. The only thing that you will want to do is buy a hard shell case for it to keep it because you will have it for a long long time if you take care of it.

If you want a Jackson designed by Grover Jackson ( the guy who started the company) you will want to buy a GJ2 guitar. These are His new line up of guitars made by him. you can look up his company online.

As for BC Rich, I had a Warlock bass and it was the biggest piece of garbage I ever owned. I don't recommend them to anyone.
Last edited by eljanitor at Oct 4, 2013,
Quote by eljanitor
I have been playing Jacksons, for awhile now, and they have never let me down. The Floyd rose licensed bridge is the same Floyd rose bridge you get from Floyd Rose. There's no difference other then it says "Jackson" on it. Jackson has been in business for a long time, and although they were bought by Fender a few years ago, their quality hasn't dropped, and I hear they have kept the same staff.

I have a 95 RR3 V it is a great guitar. When I went into the store to buy it I asked for a Jackson V, the sales guy looked at me and said here u go. they were all around $1,500 and up for king V's then, and they weren't even USA models. When I told him I couldn't afford that, he showed me 2 guitars I could afford and one of them is the one I bought.

My V is made in Japan, by Jackson, it is a Jackson, and although it isn't as expensive as a USA Model, it plays great. I was talking with an old guitar teacher one day, and I asked him what he thought about my V, and he replied something like, "There not the greatest Guitars around, but they're ok." Then he asked to try it. He has been playing for 38 years and his reaction to it was,"Wow this sounds like my Les Paul, and I cant believe how well it plays." The only thing he commented on as being different was the wide fretboard.

Since then I have replaced the Duncan designed pick ups with real Seymour Duncans, a Pearly Gates and an Alnico 2. BY the way it sounds better then the Gibson Les Paul I have now that sits in the case much more.

The Jackson you are looking at is a newer series of Jacksons aimed for affordability. It has a 24 fret Maple bolt on speed neck, bound fretboard, and headstock. The pickups are ok so Ive heard, but with a couple of hundred bucks you can replace them with anything you want in the future. It is made in Japan like every model they make thats isn't a USA model. It says Jackson on the headstock, thats what it is.

If you want a Jackson designed by the guy who started the company years ago before he sold it to Fender go here http://gj2guitars.com/portfolio/arete-4-star/ He makes a new line of guitars called GJ2 These are real authentic Jackson guitars.

You seriously can't go wrong with this guitar at this price. FYI Its the same neck as the ones they put on high end Jacksons made in Japan. The only thing that you will want to do is buy a hard shell case for it to keep it because you will have it for a long long time if you take care of it.

As for BC Rich, I had a Warlock bass and it was the biggest piece of garbage I ever owned. I don't recommend them to anyone.

I've had a licensed Floyd Rose on my Jackson before and it's junk compared to a Floyd Rose Original. Also because you had a crappy BC Rich doesn't mean they all are crap. I bought 2 recently and both are of great quality. A lot of bad info here.
I would save up and get a higher quality guitar especially if you want a good tremelo. I would reccomend Jackson guitars to anyone but not really the JS series. Can't comment on the bc rich.

Also I'm pretty sure that Jackson would be made in Indonesia or India not Japan. Not all Jackson's not made in USA are made in Japan. Infact I don't think any Jackson's are currently made MIJ.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Last edited by UFC on VHS at Oct 4, 2013,
Quote by Blackfire.
I've had a licensed Floyd Rose on my Jackson before and it's junk compared to a Floyd Rose Original. Also because you had a crappy BC Rich doesn't mean they all are crap. I bought 2 recently and both are of great quality. A lot of bad info here.

Ive never had any problems with the licensed Floyd rose bridge. Mine works great and has never needed much adjustment at all over the past 17 years. Ive had 2 Jacksons since 1989, The first one I neglected, and I truly regret that, because it ended up being a collectors item over the past few years.

Both of them were made in Japan, because at that time thats where they were making those models. At that time it was also Jackson /Charvel,and they were really high quality guitars. I don't know if the level of quality has dropped since they merged with Fender, but last time I played a Jackson in a store recently, I thought it was good for the price. Jackson USA still makes high quality instruments if you have thousands of dollars to spend.

Again after getting rid of the duncan designed pick ups and replacing them with real Semour Duncans, this guitar sounds amazing. Changing the pickups on a guitar is an inexpensive mod, that can make a world of difference.

I'm truly sorry if you feel offended by my BC. Rich Comment. My Warlock Bass was a piece of garbage, and had major electrical problems after the first few months I owned it. BC rich basically didn't care enough to do anything to remedy their bad product, neither did the store I bought it from. Thats just the way that happened.