I haven't had an amp for a while so I've been using Guitar Rig 5 on my PC using an M-Audio Fast Track. Unfortunately, it blew up in an explosion of white noise and tinnitus last night and it hasn't worked since.

So I need to find a new one. Preferably not made by M-Audio, I haven't been happy with the performance of the Fast Track, and preferably cheap. £50-£70 range.

Thanks in advance.
I got a steinberg ur22 for 130€ (~110£, very easy to configure (no effort at all), very good converters, 192kHz range, solid alluminium chassis. I use it mainly with GuitarRig5&AuditionCS5, very low latency, GuitarRig is a great fun to play with ! Strongly recommend to spend just a little more, it is a one time expense and it wont blow up (i hope :S)!
Quote by Lavatain

The amount of times I've berated people for not using the FAQ and I go and ignore it myself.

Edit: It skips my budget anyway.
Quote by caardo
I got a steinberg ur22 for 130€ (~110£, very easy to configure (no effort at all), very good converters, 192kHz range, solid alluminium chassis. I use it mainly with GuitarRig5&AuditionCS5, very low latency, GuitarRig is a great fun to play with ! Strongly recommend to spend just a little more, it is a one time expense and it wont blow up (i hope :S)!

Sadly I really can't put too much money towards it. I've got a new bass guitar incoming plus rent and deposit on a new flat. I really need the holy grail of cheap and reliable.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Aug 29, 2013,
You can't really get anything good with just £70.

The best for what you need is I'd say the Mackie Onyx Blackjack, or maybe the Scarlett 2i4, or even more maybe the already suggested Steinbergur22.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I quite like my Alesis Io2. It does everything I want it to for about £80. Granted, there are higher quality interfaces, but as far as I've found, it was a good investment as a beginner.
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Maybe I'll have to stretch to £80 (£70 was already adamant budget) then, I can go hungry for a week.

Would something like this work?
Last edited by Spaz91 at Aug 29, 2013,
Quote by Spaz91
Maybe I'll have to stretch to £80 (£70 was already adamant budget) then, I can go hungry for a week.

Would something like this work?

I read the reviews on musicians friend, and that mixer seems to be noisy.
Quote by HeretiK538
I quite like my Alesis Io2. It does everything I want it to for about £80. Granted, there are higher quality interfaces, but as far as I've found, it was a good investment as a beginner.

is it noise-free?
If you're just going DI then grab one of the unbranded guitar links off eBay. They cost ~$10 and aren't half bad to be honest (as long as you get the unbranded ones, not the $60 Behringer branded one which is the EXACT SAME).
Quote by BananaJoe
is it noise-free?

I've not had a single problem with it. It gets a tiny bit noisy when I push the gain up to basically maximum on the mic, but I've learned to put the volume up on my amp first, before the interface.

That said, if you're running your guitar straight into it, I'm not rightly sure how that'd go - I imagine it'd be fine, so long as you're not just rolling it straight up to 11. Plus you could gate it easily enough.

A friend of mine bought one after I did and always runs his guitar straight into it and has never complained, though he's only just starting to learn about all this kinda stuff. Again, I'd vouch for my Io2
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by BananaJoe
I read the reviews on musicians friend, and that mixer seems to be noisy.

But would it function in the same way as the other i/o usb stuff? Everything I have has single coils, it's going to be damn noisy near my PC anyway.
Quote by chatterbox272
If you're just going DI then grab one of the unbranded guitar links off eBay. They cost ~$10 and aren't half bad to be honest (as long as you get the unbranded ones, not the $60 Behringer branded one which is the EXACT SAME).

How would the latency be on those? I used my Fast Track with Reaper too and it was the only way I could play midi keys in real time.
I had a low end M-Audio USB interface that sounded ok but stopped working after about six months. Then I got a Presonus Audiobox USB which works great and sounds a little better, I can recommend it. I used it on all the recordings on my youtube channel.
Chris, don't you have clipping issues with the Presonus? I just bought a Roland interface after researching on the low end Presonus and Focusrite ones. I found many reports saying that those are not suitable for guitars due to clipping, howver low output guitars don't have the issue. Also it seems the pad function on the on the focusrite changes the input impendance for one not appropriate for guitars.
Quote by Spaz91
Edit: It skips my budget anyway.

That's because there's really nothing in your budget worth buying.

Save up more
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by BananaJoe
Chris, don't you have clipping issues with the Presonus? I just bought a Roland interface after researching on the low end Presonus and Focusrite ones. I found many reports saying that those are not suitable for guitars due to clipping, howver low output guitars don't have the issue. Also it seems the pad function on the on the focusrite changes the input impendance for one not appropriate for guitars.

The pad works fine...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by chatterbox272

Agreed. They're about £8 on ebay and do a good job of getting a clean DI tone.