I need to get semi-closed type headphone monitors for college. I've had a bit of look online and I've realised very quickly that there are looooads of them, and I don't really know which ones are good and which ones to avoid. My budget is around £100. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Why semi-closed in particular?

Your budget is right around the Sennheiser HD380 pros. I've had them 6 months now and I've been incredibly pleased with them. They have a very extended bass response and are pretty flat. Not to mention they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever used. I could wear them all day and have no pain at all. They are completely closed back though.

(I do recommend these in many threads like this, but they are definitely a very good set for the price!)
The lecturers at college have recommended semi-closed as they said they are usually the best for mixing

I'll have a look at the Sennheisers nevertheless. Thanks!
That's interesting! I haven't heard that idea before. Did they say why?
Are you sure you didn't mishear/misunderstand your lecturers? I'd have thought the best headphones for mixing on would be open-back, because they allow the sound from behind the drivers to escape out the back, instead of returning to the driver as strong via internal reflections. Plus, they tend to have a flatter response with a less exaggerated/boomy low end... well, that's what I presume having listened to a few pairs in the past and going by the most logical science affecting headphone design

I would say that you should ignore the type of headphone though, and go for what is best in your price range - I mean, if you were asked to record a singer, would you refuse to use a Shure SM7B and instead choose a Behringer C1 just because somebody told you that condenser mics are best for vocals? That's the sort of vague level of ambiguity we're getting at by saying '____ type of headphone is best for mixing'.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
They definitely said semi-closed, as they printed it on a sheet of paper as well

I honestly can't remember why they said to go for those ones (it was a long day!)

I would say that you should ignore the type of headphone though, and go for what is best in your price range - I mean, if you were asked to record a singer, would you refuse to use a Shure SM7B and instead choose a Behringer C1 just because somebody told you that condenser mics are best for vocals?

I definitely see what you mean here, and that makes a lot more sense to be honest.

So are the Senheisers mentioned before probably my best bet?

Thanks
Quote by Jack2910
The lecturers at college have recommended semi-closed as they said they are usually the best for mixing

I'll have a look at the Sennheisers nevertheless. Thanks!

Professors are recommending mixing on headphones at all? Really?! Or was it presented as, "if you absolutely have to mix on headphones, then...." ?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^ Probably more a case of them expecting students to be living in small dorms that aren't even close to ideal for mixing (in terms of reflections/standing waves, and resonances in the plasterboard walls etc.) so they thought it would be better for them to mix on headphones until they understand more about room treatment and how to make sense of what you're hearing better. Plus, decent headphones are cheaper than a decent set of monitors, even before you factor treatment of the room into things.

That being said, I'm completely with you and would never personally mix on headphones unless I absolutely had to (I check translation with them, but that's about it).

Also, it's good to see you posting more often here again Chris

TS, I'm no good at recommending headphones really because I rarely use them - aside from not liking to mix on them, I also hate the 'isolated from the world' feeling when wearing them
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Professors are recommending mixing on headphones at all? Really?! Or was it presented as, "if you absolutely have to mix on headphones, then...." ?

CT

It's because there will be about 10-15 of us mixing in the same classroom at the same time so we can't really use monitors for that

The standard headphones the pros go for is usually the Audio-Technica ATH-M50. It's closed-back and has a very natural response. It definitely won't replace quality monitors, but for around $110 used, it's the best you're gonna get.

My friend has a set of them and I did think they sound great and really clear, I think i'll end up going for them.

Thanks everyone!
If it was my money I'd probably get a cheap pair like the Sennheiser HD201 (yes, I'm obsessed with those little buggers) and some cheap used monitors. A set of M-Audio AV40s or Behringer MS40s would be sufficient.

My reasoning? There are some things you just can't do effectively on headphones, and even a cheap set of monitors gives you a massive advantage when it comes to double-checking mixes. Use your headphones for the fine work and then monitors to evaluate stereo spread, mono compatibility, overall balance etc.

The AV40s get a lot of stick but I think they're great little speakers as long as they're not your sole source of monitoring.
If it was my money I'd probably get a cheap pair like the Sennheiser HD201 (yes, I'm obsessed with those little buggers) and some cheap used monitors. A set of M-Audio AV40s or Behringer MS40s would be sufficient.

I already have a pair of those senheisers, and in all honesty I think they're not very god at all. Although it does seem like a good idea to get monitors and headphones.
Quote by Jack2910
It's because there will be about 10-15 of us mixing in the same classroom at the same time so we can't really use monitors for that

No? Why not?

Quote by DisarmGoliath

Also, it's good to see you posting more often here again Chris

Thx, man. Summer holidays came, and funny enough, just got *really* busy. I was also on a family vacation for 28 days doing a big road trip of Canada's East Coast, which was pretty awesome.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.