Are there any good books on the subject of orchestration? I kind of want to try composing a piece of music for symphonic orchestra, but I've no idea where to start.

Which is why I'm here. I want to start learning orchestration for that purpose, and I want to know which books, videos, etc. will help me learn it better.

Thanks to all you reply,
A.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Well, an orchestration book isn't going to automatically make you able to write a good orchestra piece. Like, at all.

But as far as they go, Adler's orchestration text is more or less the modern standard. Blatter's is also nice.
This is pretty good for basic orchestration, it deliberately doesn't really have much information about instrumentation though so you need to find that stuff somewhere else. (You should generally be comfortable writing solo and chamber pieces for various instruments before tackling the full orchestra)

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/77-Principles-of-Orchestration-On-line
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Well, an orchestration book isn't going to automatically make you able to write a good orchestra piece. Like, at all.

But as far as they go, Adler's orchestration text is more or less the modern standard. Blatter's is also nice.

I wasn't planning on it having that effect. I know it's a practiced art, and that I will only get better the more I practice it. I just figured may as well start now. :P
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
http://youtu.be/-_ztT5LrjJA

This guy has tons of video and would be a great resource for you. Check out his channel.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Aug 29, 2013,
JRF know where it's at, rockingamer2 as well.

I started reading Rimsky-Korsakov's book a while back but from what I remember it was pretty tedious in a 'this is what this instrument doubling this instrument sounds like', 'this is what this other instrument doubling with this instrument sounds like' kind of way. Adler is much easier to read and up to date whereas with the Korsakov text you'll be about a century behind what the instruments can actually do.