I had an idea to make a plaster or fire clay mold of some doodad thing either of my design or commissioned, gather used plastic bottles or pop cans, melt them, and pour them into the molds, paint the results to make them look pretty, and sell them to the public.

How would I go about doing this? Obviously I'll need a way to gather plastic and cans, a way to melt them, and equipment for molding and that. And money. How would I get those, and what did I miss?
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
How big the doodads be? Also you might want to actually know what you are doing because plastics have all kinds of potentially harmful chemicals that make them up, especially if you are planning on just melting random shit together.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Doodads, no. Thingamabobs, yes.

I teach an adult education crafts class on tuesdays.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by palm mute
How big the doodads be? Also you might want to actually know what you are doing because plastics have all kinds of potentially harmful chemicals that make them up, especially if you are planning on just melting random shit together.

Pendant-sized, or the size of an average figurine. And I haven't fully researched what happens when you melt PET plastic.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by snipelfritz
Doodads, no. Thingamabobs, yes.

whatchamacallits
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by MinterMan22

If that website existed, I'd be very grateful.

And I'll also offer thingamabobs and watchamacallits.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
whosamawhatsits

are these just a midwestern thing by the way, they seem like they would be
In my heart I'm with you

every night
I'd say the moulds should be easy enough to make - even a non-grainy clay type thing should work just fine. Or pressed sand moulds.

On the other hand, not sure about the melting... If you heat up bottles and stuff like that, you may well end up burning it... That is SERIOUSLY unhealthy... lethal to be honest. I think plastics for moulding often come in pellet/granule form. I'd also think they have to be heated without any oxygen present to prevent heating. However, if you try melting stuff as follows, it might work? Try this outside first and with a small sample:

- Fire/heat source
- Over this, place container of water to be boiled
- Have other container in this to be heated without it being close to heat source

Alternatively, there's something called "polymorph". It comes in pellets and you can melt those in hot water, then shape it while it's hot. When cool, it is rigid, so can be carved/shaped by tools. If you do use it, I'd save anything you shave off, as it can probably be re-melted and shaped again... You can probably use polymorph in a mould if you heat it sufficiently (to about 70 degrees Celsius) then press it quickly into the mould itself.

That's about all I know - only have a casual interest in it myself.

If you want pendant-type things, see if someone (i.e. a company or tech college?) would let you use a blow-moulder...

That's all I can say! Hope it helps you!
Buy yourself a used oven/stovetop to heat the doodads up. Just keep it outside. Talk to some guys that you might know who do CNC work when it comes to the molds. Or just google it. Maybe, "CNC molds". I can talk to some of my buddies about how to create molds.
The **** is a doodad?

I leave for 2 months and now people are inventing words and injecting plastic into things? What has this horrid world come to.
Quote by metalblaster
The **** is a doodad?

I leave for 2 months and now people are inventing words and injecting plastic into things? What has this horrid world come to.

It's a pretty old term

And thanks to all with info.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA