Page 1 of 2
Do you eat raw fish? It could be in sushi or sashimi, etc.
Whether you do or not, what are your reasons for eating it? Or not.

I assume that my situation living in Hawaii is unique, as it truly is a melting pot of ethnic groups, culture, cuisine etc. Everyone I know eats raw fish here. And I mean EVERYONE!

Having said that, I don't eat raw fish--I think it's unappetizing. I was cooking Ahi one time when my friend came over and he said "what are you doing, you're ruining perfectly good sashimi!!"

Thoughts?
Sushi is fantastic, so yes, I eat raw fish.

Yellowfin tuna is probably my favorite.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
You get more of the nutrients when you eat it raw. This is a fact.

Raw fish can get pretty bland tasting and it's only worth going for it if it's like 'caught in the last 24hrs' fresh.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
The fish here are infested with tapeworms. Besides, tartar is confoundingly more brilliant.
Last edited by Keskimaki at Aug 30, 2013,
Yes!!!!!! Fish porridge all the time, sushi/sashimi whenever I can afford it, and yusheng for Chinese New Year

Because it's yummy that's why. And cheap.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Aug 30, 2013,
Quote by whoomit
I don't think I've ever had an opportunity to eat raw fish.

Edit: Yes I have, some of the sushi I've had has been made with raw fish. Being sushi I probably enjoyed it.

I should say that there is sushi that has cooked fish (tuna) in it, at least here in Hawaii anyway.
And it's the only type of sushi that I'll eat because it's cooked fish.

I think it's called Maki sushi, I ain't no expert in sushi because I hardly eat it, but I think that's what they call it.

Actually, there's also cone sushi that doesn't have any fish/meat in it at all. It's wrapped in Abrage (I think that's how you spell it). I guess I would eat that too I guess, haven't had that in a while.
Last edited by mattmakaha at Aug 30, 2013,
I love sushi, but I think there is some sort of law in the EU that prohibits the selling of raw fish if it hasn't been frozen to a certain temperature first (to kill of any parasites etc.), so really fresh fish is hard to come by...

Best fish I've eaten was in Thailand though. We were out fishing tuna, and cut them up and ate them in the boat as soon as we caught them. Delicious!
Quote by mattmakaha
I should say that there is sushi that has cooked fish (tuna) in it, at least here in Hawaii anyway.
And it's the only type of sushi that I'll eat because it's cooked fish.
I think it's called Maki sushi, I ain't no expert in sushi because I hardly eat it, but I think that's what they call it.
Actually, there's also cone sushi that doesn't have any fish/meat in it at all. It's wrapped in Abrage (I think that's how you spell it). I guess I would eat that too I guess, haven't had that in a while.

Actually maki is just toasted nori around rice and fillings which may or may not be raw, they don't even have to be seafood either.
cat
Quote by Keskimaki
The fish here are infested with tapeworms. .

Ewww!!

And yet another reason to eat only cooked food...
maki means wrapped. Any sushi that is wrapped is makizushi

now that I think of it though, I dunno if gunkan style sushi technically counts as makizushi

edit: ninja'd
Listen. I'm sorry.
Last edited by vilk at Aug 30, 2013,
Just saw my bank statements, think I'm going to gorge myself at a sushi place for dinner tonight.

O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Love sushi, I've been learning to make it as well (although I can only afford crabsticks as filler atm! haha)
I hate seafood, yet I tried sushi just to get rid of the curiosity.

Never again
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by megano28
I hate seafood, yet I tried sushi just to get rid of the curiosity.

Never again

Did you try anything with prawns?
cat
I've had sushi before and it was fine but no where near good enough to justify the price it is when I can go to Greggs round the corner and get a couple of sausage rolls for £1.20. Also, I feel like an asshole anytime I'm in a place that sells sushi.
If my pop goes fishing we'll quite often have some raw fish with his awesome horseradish/beetroot relish

Good stuff
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by captainsnazz
No because I don't sponsor the murder of innocent animals

So you're a vegetarian?

Theres nothing wrong with that.
I actually like vegeburgers--Morningstar Farms Grillers and Grillers Prime are awesome vegeburgers.
Atlantic salmon is the best. Especially with lots of lemon, pepper and garlic
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by N_J_B_B
Atlantic salmon is the best. Especially with lots of lemon, pepper and garlic

h8 atlantics but thats only because our fisheries stock the shit out of them yet you will almost never find an atlantic in the lake. dunno about taste because its not really fair to compare freshly caught, perfectly sized salmon to some frozen store bought monstrosity
Quote by guitarxo
Did you try anything with prawns?

Yeah

Not my thing...at all. Best part of that experience was the drinks I washed it down with.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Raw fish is great. Sashimi is great. I don't even like fillet fish that much. But goddamn, tuna sashimi and sushi are good.
I eat it quite often as i'm married to a Japanese woman and also spend some time in Japan each year. Salmon sashimi and sushi are delicious and i don't mind other fish too. However, i don't like cooked salmon or tuna.
Only in sushi. Anything else and I just can't enjoy it. Even when its in sushi it doesn't feel right.
Love fish, just not raw. Not a huge fan of it with batter either, still like it, just don't think its neccessary, it already tastes awesome. Cod and sole are pretty good with batter. Salmon and haddock I like in to cook, if I'm short on time I'll just pan fry some fillets. I'm always stocked up on like 3-4 kinds of different fish and in different forms so I don't get bored of it
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Wiegenlied
Love fish, just not raw. Not a huge fan of it with batter either, still like it, just don't think its neccessary, it already tastes awesome. Cod and sole are pretty good with batter. Salmon and haddock I like in to cook, if I'm short on time I'll just pan fry some fillets. I'm always stocked up on like 3-4 kinds of different fish and in different forms so I don't get bored of it

haddock with a nice batter goes much better with a pint than haddock without batter.
Yes I do eat it.

I like it and it's not even really fat for what I know, so why not?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by theguitarist
Raw fish can get pretty bland tasting and it's only worth going for it if it's like 'caught in the last 24hrs' fresh.

Well that's just patently untrue. Most decent sushi places put a little age on all of their fish (in a controlled environment, obviously) in order to give it more flavor. A lot of times the "fresh out of the boat" stuff is pretty bland and mealy.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Quote by blake1221
I really like sushi. I think it's delicious.

I love how the first post of a thread sometimes sums up everything.
Quote by Alix_D
Never heard of Seinfeld, what kind of music do they play? Assuming they use Kramers, it must be heavy!

SAVE GIBSON

Quote by captainsnazz
No because I don't sponsor the murder of innocent animals

Were you the anti-vegetable aspiring vegan? How's that working out for you?

I don't eat fish anymore, but when I did I never ate the type of fish you eat raw.
10/10. Would eat.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Page 1 of 2