As strange is it sounds, some of my best (imo) songs/melodies I've written came from when I just brainstormed in my head.

What I'll usually do is come up with a chord progression. I'll then play this progression for about 10 minutes, and then I'll go do something else. When I'm doing w/e, I'll have the progression repeating in my head. After a while, these melodies/notes will sort of naturally appear in my head. I'll sometimes hum them out so I don't forget.

When I go to my guitar or piano to transpose these notes out of my head, they always come out within key/the scale and sound great. Oddly enough, I have a hard time just sitting at my instrument trying to write out melodies/songs. They usually come out very generic and stale.

Anybody else write songs this way? lol
Only my best songs. They write themselves.
Quote by mcraddict81592
Since when do we do deep and meaningful? You can't just switch between random quirky fun and deep and heartfelt shit, we aren't the Breakfast Club, man.

Quote by CL/\SH
Although, my approval doesn't mean shit

RUSH IS VARIETY!
I write everything by thinking first and then playing (I also think majority of composers do it that way). I come up with the sound first. I don't compose with my fingers (though sometimes an idea may come to my head from a sound that I play on my guitar). I don't usually start noodling and hoping for good melodies to come out of my instrument. That never works - you are playing with your fingers and not thinking about the sound. And that only makes you repeat the licks your fingers remember.

Many times I tweak the stuff I come up with on my guitar to get the best sounding chord voicings and stuff (maybe I want to use some open strings or something). Noodling seldom gets you anywhere.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by #1 synth
i only write puddle of mudd cover songs

Good one
There's only one boss I listen to, and that's why I'm unemployed.
Quote by MarcFlink
Good one

He is serious.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
I can only write (nicely) when doing it in my head.

It's logical, cause your not occupied by movements and your playing itself. Your also not limited by your playing.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I guess the ultimate goal is to be able to be as good at Composing in your head and at the instrument.