Do you think it's okay to download an album, and listen to it until you have money, and then buy it maybe 6 months later, maybe longer, when it's gone down in price or when you've got enough money or a deluxe edition?

Or is that a scummy thing to do?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
No, because I'm pretty sure everyone on this website can afford £5 a month for spotify. You're just a bloody cheapskate these days if you pirate music.
£5 a month for Spotify is a lot when you can't put it on your iPod and take it out, and you can't afford fast, unlimited internet.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
That's what I do. I can only do weekend jobs because of school/college, so i download it, then if it's good, i'll buy it with my weekend pay check. I get to listen to the CD for a month on my PC in average quality, then I buy it in the quality it's supposed to be, with nice packaging later. WIN-WIN!
Caution:
This post contains my opinion and/or inaccurate information

Quote by vayne92
I'm genuinely beginning to think you're the best troll of all time

"Emocore is like, when you cry when you break a guitar string"
- Thurston Moore
You and I both know you're not going to buy it in six months. That, or you're going to have some unrealistically long time before you buy it, like "I'll pay for all of it every two years" or something, and by then you just go "Well they've already released two new albums, they don't need it anymore/I'll do it next two years." Or, more likely, it'll be long enough that you'll forget. Just own up to it instead of trying to pretend you're actually buying it but in a new special way.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 30, 2013,
Quote by necrosis1193
You and I both know you're not going to buy it in six months. That, or you're going to have some unrealistically long time before you buy it, like "I'll pay for all of it every two years" or something, and by then you just go "Well they've already released two new albums, they don't need it anymore/I'll do it next two years." Or, more likely, it'll be long enough that you'll forget. Just own up to it instead of trying to pretend you're actually buying it but in a new special way.

I listened to Dream Theater, Images and Words since about 2008, before finally purchashing it this year. The albums actually been out since like 1991.

I didn't purchase ADTR, Homesick until this year, despite it being out since 2009. Trivium, In Waves came out in 2011, but I bought the Deluxe Edition this year, despite having the mp3s of it since release.

In fact for most of my physical music library, this is the case. Often it's pointless buying the album on release, because bands will just release deluxe editions a year or so down the road, with bonus tracks, nicer packaging, bonus DVD etc.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
£5 a month for Spotify is a lot when you can't put it on your iPod and take it out, and you can't afford fast, unlimited internet.

£10 a month and you can listen offline. There are tons of ways to listen for free these days, not to mention how little cds and downloads cost.

And once you put it on your ipod the chances of you buying it are really slim.
Quote by Duffman123

And once you put it on your ipod the chances of you buying it are really slim.

Not really, I've done it tons of times, especially if I get a bad download.

i think it's scummy, not so much because they download it first, but because they try to justify it by saying they'll by it later. if you're going to pirate music, just live with the guilt. also, it'd be absolutely stupid on their part to buy it again unless it was awesome.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
So is it scummy if you actually do buy it later?

Quote by EndTheRapture51

For me, personally, I wouldn't hate you if you got our stuff illegally, as long as you came to our shows and supported us by sharing us with your friends, buying merch etc.

I've been in that position - craving music but being broke as shit, so I understand. It seems to me that piracy is kinda like the new radio, and it's kinda unavoidable at the moment. But that's a whole kettle of fish...
Quote by EndTheRapture51

i just don't understand why anyone would pirate it if they already have the intention of buying it. if you know you want it, grow up and learn to wait until you have money. my point is more about patience than anything else.
Quote by archerygenious

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
If I already downloaded it, why would I buy it? I'd rather save that money to see them perform live.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
i just don't understand why anyone would pirate it if they already have the intention of buying it. if you know you want it, grow up and learn to wait until you have money. my point is more about patience than anything else.

Well when everyone is going on about the awesome new record that a band just brought out, and you can't get it right now, why not just pirate it to see what the fuss is about, then buy it later for your collection when you've got the money?

It's literally the same as Youtubing the songs on a record but you get it in higher quality and don't have to re-buffer if you want to listen to the song again...

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Well when everyone is going on about the awesome new record that a band just brought out, and you can't get it right now, why not just pirate it to see what the fuss is about, then buy it later for your collection when you've got the money?

It's literally the same as Youtubing the songs on a record but you get it in higher quality and don't have to re-buffer if you want to listen to the song again...

i usually just try to sate myself on the one or two singles they release. and i've never actually had zero money and couldn't buy a cd when i wanted, it was always a self-imposed limit on spending. so i realized i wasn't dying to have it...so, why bother pirating it?

by the way, 'scummy' is too strong a word for how i feel. i just don't really understand why, that's all. i actually feel the exact same way about buying things that are smaller than a house on credit.
Quote by archerygenious

Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Aug 30, 2013,
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
if you're going to pirate music, just live with the guilt.

^ Seriously its not like its even that hard. No one ever lost any sleep over torrenting music.
Quote by Steve The Plank
It depends if you're purchasing it to support the artist, or just out of guilt.

If you want to help the band, definitely do not choose Spotify over buying a physical copy.

AMEN BROTHER!
Caution:
This post contains my opinion and/or inaccurate information

Quote by vayne92
I'm genuinely beginning to think you're the best troll of all time

"Emocore is like, when you cry when you break a guitar string"
- Thurston Moore
Quote by kikaykitko
If I already downloaded it, why would I buy it? I'd rather save that money to see them perform live.

Someone pointed out in this UG news article that CDs (at least in the US & the UK) are the cheapest merchandise available. I also have a hard time believing that most young people can't save up $5-15. If you can't afford to buy both CDs and go to concerts, then maybe you should re-prioritize and cut unneeded things out of your budget.

Fact is, "saving money to see the band perform live" is just a lame excuse to justify downloading. If you're going to download, don't try to justify it. Just say you download stuff and leave it at that.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 30, 2013,