Hey guys,

I was thinking a master thread on these subjects should be made and stickied.

I see these questions all the time and Im sure everyone has had them at some point or another so maybe we can get some thoughts and contributions from experienced users or mods or whatever on these topics to clarify them for newbies.

good idea?

EDIT:

we should start accumulating good threads about these topics. Please post them in the thread and I'll add them here.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1614872

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=832583">https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=833068&highlight=Scott+Joneshttps://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=832583

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=829796

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1606261&highlight=music+degree

Want to make a living in Classical music? Read this.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Last edited by British_Steal at Sep 4, 2013,
I'd be interested in this if people posted in it often. Especially if people who actually did study music/ are making a living from it could all share their stories and advice and such!
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Xioaxi went to Berklee. He'll say it's all about WHO you know, not what you know.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I make dat dolla with my musix degree

Quote by rockingamer2
Xioaxi went to Berklee. He'll say it's all about WHO you know, not what you know.

I wouldn't say it's ALL about. The standard is so high that it should go without saying that you already know the "what" part exceptionally well.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Aug 30, 2013,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Don't you work tech support? lol

And VI dev, and scoring, and score prep.

I actually make more money from the music side combined.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I think anyone can make money from music just freelancing.
However to work at the industry seems to be a huge bluhrr to me.
I went to school for music. I'm now the owner of a pizza shop. Yeah, it doesn't always work out, but I'm still playing and enjoying life though.
A list of musical careers could be good in the OP.

Suggested skills that will help in with these careers could be listed to. Like site reading, strong chord knowledge etc.

Quote by dmc92484
I went to school for music. I'm now the owner of a pizza shop. Yeah, it doesn't always work out, but I'm still playing and enjoying life though.

You own a pizza shop. How is that it not working out! Its a different path but to me it sounds like its worked out pretty great.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Aug 30, 2013,
Quote by jkielq91

Suggested skills that will help in with these careers could be listed to. Like site reading,

You should know the following:

PHP
HTML
MySQL
WordPress
Javascript

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I make dat dolla with my musix degree

I wouldn't say it's ALL about. The standard is so high that it should go without saying that you already know the "what" part exceptionally well.

Of course. You gotta have the chops. I hope most people would know that part already.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by jkielq91
A list of musical careers could be good in the OP.

I was handed a great book by my music teacher at college that was full of different music jobs, basically saying what they are, how one might prepare for such a job, and some people's testimonies on their experiences of the job. It covered all kinds of stuff, including performing, writing, publishing, law, PR stuff, and so on. If I remember tIfhe name, I'll link it, but I found it pretty useful
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
So would someone like to collect some of the best prior threads on this topic or articles? I can't really see the arguement for stickying this thread in this form as it's not really a reference tool.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
*cough* how about a thread regarding how to go about proper classical music theory lessons as applied to an electric guitar. The way I see it, you have the options of classical guitar or another instrument, and that's not really an option for me. The electric guitar seems closer to a violin than anything, and I'd like to take proper classes and ejumakate myself towards some proper theory instead of typical guitar theory, if you know what I mean, but it doesn't seem like schools really offer any kind of course like that...there's that guitar institute place, but even that seems more geared towards genre things and less towards classical techniques.
^^^ All theory is the same mate. There's nothing instrument or genre specific. Scales, chords, keys etc - it's for all instruments.

So are you looking for a book that says "play a C major scale on your electric guitar rather than a piano"?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I thought courses were instrument specific, the teacher gives a different curriculum for different instruments, all theory is the same, but the way music is applied to one instrument is not the same as another. Like Violin to Tuba
Quote by Velcro Man
*cough* how about a thread regarding how to go about proper classical music theory lessons as applied to an electric guitar. The way I see it, you have the options of classical guitar or another instrument, and that's not really an option for me. The electric guitar seems closer to a violin than anything, and I'd like to take proper classes and ejumakate myself towards some proper theory instead of typical guitar theory, if you know what I mean, but it doesn't seem like schools really offer any kind of course like that...there's that guitar institute place, but even that seems more geared towards genre things and less towards classical techniques.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean/want.

I studied at the guitar institute (though it has a different name now). If you are interested in classical music it is not the place for you because it is specifically a institute for contemporary music (pop, rock, blues, jazz, funk etc etc). They teach you chords and theory and so on and how to apply it to different contemporary styles. They also have a lot of focus on live performance.

You should take a look at the Guildhall in London. http://www.gsmd.ac.uk/music/courses/undergraduate/bachelor_of_music_honours_degree/

EDIT: I just realised you are in Manchester Ohio and not Manchester UK.
I wish Scott Jones was still around.

Quote by Xiaoxi

Javascript

Is that like where I'm supposed to spill coffee on the manuscript so my works appears ancient and historical?
We're all alright!
Last edited by Mathedes at Sep 9, 2013,