Hey guys, I tried doing a search on what people think of this guitar but I wasn't able to find anything. What do you guys think of this guitar for its price? Is it too expensive for what it is?
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Not to sound too harsh, but it looks like a cheap guitar put at that price point simply to be marketed to the teenagers who'll actually buy it. Because only those teens will be reviewing it, it'll probably get stellar scores despite being another trashy chinese Epiphone.

Same exact thing happened with that Indonesia Synyster Gates signature Schecter.

There are 7-String Ibanez guitars you can get used for that price that will blow that Epi out of the damn water.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by dNWaKE
Hey guys, I tried doing a search on what people think of this guitar but I wasn't able to find anything. What do you guys think of this guitar for its price? Is it too expensive for what it is?

I have no problems with its origins, but I'd certainly go with a longer scale on a 7-string than 24.75". That just gives you muddddd at the bottom.

Agile has 7-string guitars of this body shape available in, for example, 27" scale (and other colors in addition to flat black). http://www.rondomusic.com/AL3000727EBtribalred.HTML

Quality is outstanding and the price is around $399 (when he has them in stock). For the price on the Matt Heafy Epiphone, you can have two of these:

Quote by JustRooster
Not to sound too harsh, but it looks like a cheap guitar put at that price point simply to be marketed to the teenagers who'll actually buy it. Because only those teens will be reviewing it, it'll probably get stellar scores despite being another trashy chinese Epiphone.

That really isn't very fair to say imo. I say that because I've played one and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. No high frets, intonated fine, electronics did exactly what they should do, no faults in any aspect of the finish etc. I cannot say that I agree with you in my experience.
Quote by dspellman
I have no problems with its origins, but I'd certainly go with a longer scale on a 7-string than 24.75". That just gives you muddddd at the bottom.

You could just use a heavier gauge for the low B to compensate for the shorter scale. I really don't see a problem with doing that.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 30, 2013,
Epiphone has dramatically improved the quality of its high-end models. They’re now on par with similarly priced Korean guitars. Epiphone’s finishing is much better than Gibson USA’s low-end. I’m seriously considering selling my USA studio, which has typical mediocre Gibson fretwork, and buy a new Epi Les Paul.

That said, I tend agree that 24.75" is a bad scale length for a seven string guitar. But plenty of people are recording great metal albums in B tuning or lower on that scale, so if you like the way it sounds, go for it.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

You could just use a heavier gauge for the low B to compensate for the shorter scale. I really don't see a problem with doing that.

That doesn't really work.

Think of a piano. A Spinet (the small, fairly short upright ) has shorter strings in the bass region, and it's very difficult to hear distinct differences between the bottom notes. A grand, however, has a much longer scale (string length) and the differences between the bottom notes are audible and obvious.

Guitars work the same way. Obviously you could put heavy strings on any Les Paul scale guitar and tune it down, but you'll mostly just get muddy bottom. On a baritone length (27" - 30") you'll have much clearer bottom end. And that's why you downtune or buy a 7-string in the first place, no?
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 31, 2013,
I get what you're saying, but in my experience, an extra inch or so of extra length doesn't make THAT much of a difference on a guitar in my opinion. If it actually was an issue, Epiphone would never have built the guitar in the first place. Many, many bands downtune Les Pauls with the same scale length to B, such as bands like Lamb of God and Trivium themselves. And they don't see the problem
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 31, 2013,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I get what you're saying, but in my experience, an extra inch or so of extra length doesn't make THAT much of a difference on a guitar in my opinion. If it actually was an issue, Epiphone would never have built the guitar in the first place. Many, many bands downtune Les Pauls with the same scale length to B, such as bands like Lamb of God and Trivium themselves. And they don't see the problem

Since when does Lamb Of God tune to Drop B?

And, tbh: EC407.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 31, 2013,
Quote by oneblackened
Since when does Lamb Of God tune to Drop B?

I'm sure they do at least tune close to that range. They do tune to C which really isn't much of a differnce.

My point is that LP scale length guitars handle low tunings just fine. Otherwise, nobody would be downtuning LP's
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 31, 2013,
Quote by dspellman
That doesn't really work.

There are dozens of doom, sludge, and stoner metal albums that say otherwise. Type O Negative went platinum with an SG tuned to B.
It's solid in specs for the price.

Here's the thing: You're paying $800 for a chinese epiphone, these guitars are being churned out by those who make the starter epiphone les pauls.

If you live in the US, the agiles are your go-to for a korean guitar.
If you're still in the market for a good 7 string single-cut style:
http://www.studiogears.com/ESP_LTD_EC-407_7_Strings_Guitar_in_Snow_White_Satin_B-Stock.htm
http://www.studiogears.com/ESP_LTD_EC-407_7_Strings_Guitar_in_Black_Satin_B_stock.htm
Yes it's B-stock but it's completely unused and simply has a Factory Blemish
???